This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Somebody explain this to me...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wahkahchim
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Somebody explain this to me... Reply with quote

I am a professional investment advisor. I have my own wilderness guide service, but we don't take out very many trips. I am blessed with everything a living breathing man could want...I really DO feel blessed.

So tell me why, as I watch the stock markets rise and enjoy a very nice lunch and listen to the office hum....tell me why I'd rather be back in the New Hampshire forest in a rainstorm at dawn with a flintlock gun freezing my a## off?

I think about the woods and flintlocks constantly. In between financial business I think about it throughout the day and night. I make 10% for clients and it's very satisfying in a tepid, good-enough sort of way. But when one of you posts a picture of a Jaeger rifle, I can't get enough of it.

I must be nuts. :) Either that or I've been away from women too long. Anyway thanks for feeding my addiction...I guess. :)

Captain_Cogle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are nuts.

Welcome to the club!
Black Hand
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what exactly is the problem......?
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Belleville
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your somewhere between:

A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.

and

Its never too late for a good childhood.

Is it too early for you to retire?
Turkeyfoot
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you need to get back to all three. Woods, women and guns!!!LOL

Bill Payson
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: explain this Reply with quote

You can never have too many flintlocks,, and what better woods than in NH,,,Bill from NH
trent/OH
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've mastered the finance side of your life, so it has lost it's fascination. Now there's that woodlands thing to master. She's a much harder taskmaster, because she plays by a completely different set of rules, and she occassionally changes them at a whim. Keep at it, and teach a few people along the way.
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good God Man!

The job feeds your face...,

The woods feed your soul.

Congratulations, you have successfully transitioned from living to work, to the healthier position of working to live.

LD

Jeremy Ray
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever thought you would be reincarnated from a time period where that was all you use to do? Have you ever thought that you were a closet Pagan and your spirit guides were telling you that is what you needed to do to recharge yourself and get back to the real you?

Tommy Bruce
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: ???? Reply with quote

Well I guess you can add me to the club as well. Wish my building abilities could support my family, I'd quit my job in a second.
knappinman
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: addiction Reply with quote

Wahkahchim,

Let me just say that you just described my thought process, it is so hard to focus sometimes and I am a HISTORY TEACHER!!!. but I don't get to teach the same era that I am interested in over and over. I have to make sure the kids get taught all the other stuff including very important social studies skills- and it is rewarding but every day several times a day I get on this message board and ogle and let myself become unfocused from the important tasks at hand by being distracted and living vicariously through those of you who were able to get out and do. oohhh gotta go. Students getting restless and throwing pencils!
thanks to all who enable me
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wahkahchim
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's fun to be able to communicate with people who are really keeping the old ways alive. :)

Gonzales
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Cogle wrote:
You are nuts.

Welcome to the club!

Too true.
Doug R.
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh...
I sit here and kick myself as I get started in this endeavour because I know that the money I'm going to spend should be spent on the house, or the truck, or some other bill current or past due. But, I just can't. The only reason that I can figure out is that what those folks were is what I want to be. Tough to do in the 21st century.
Sigh...

seesbirds
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: somebody explain this to me... Reply with quote

Wahkahchim,

I was a financial advisor and branch manger for 25 years and left the business 12/31/09 to start a new career as a full time horner and scrimshander. After a year in my new "career" I would like to offer the following observations which may or may not help:

1. We are all taught through advertising, virtually from day one, that to be "successful" one must own (fill in the blank) and drive (fill in the blank) and live in a million dollar house. etc. You get the idea....Trouble is in order to keep all of your stuff you have to continue to work and you'd better make enough money to keep it all up..we in effect become prisoners of our possessions. The truth IMHO is that we actually NEED very little of what we think we want. Be careful not to build yourself a lifestyle that you will have trouble supporting after you switch jobs.

2. It is the tiny details of life that make the greatest difference, and they often don't cost much. In other words pay attention, live in the moment and worry less.

3. You may think (and as financial advisors we are trained to believe this) that you can plan for the future. You can't. For instance, I had "planned" to have a larger nest egg, be a big producer, and work as a consultant to my partner when I retired. Here's what got in the way: my partners resistance, my wife nearly dying of cancer twice, the market going to hell and the unrelenting stress of my job which began to have ill effects on my health.

4. Life is waaaaay too short to worry about money. You'll find ways to adapt with less, believe me. If guiding and being in the woods is your bliss, the money will follow. True you may never become a billionaire but you don't sound like the kind of fellow with that as a goal.

5. Don't be afraid. Of anything. Fear will trap you and make your life miserable. As Thoreau once said: "most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Be the exception.

Finally, HEALTH is your greatest wealth. It won't matter how much money you have if you are too ill to enjoy it.

Best of luck to you. I was just like you...when I wasn't doing what I loved (and it wasn't being a FA) I thought about it all the time. In the end it became TOO EXPENSIVE, in non-monetary terms to continue on in the business.

Mark
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com