This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Does caliber equate to "Hog Size?"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newburghboy
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Does caliber equate to "Hog Size?"? Reply with quote

Im trying to come up with some sort of very rough estimate of how large a hog (or perhaps the ideal sized hog) I can take with either of my smoothbores. The first is a 62 caliber Officer's fusil, the other is a 76 caliber full length musket. Does anybody have any suggestions for powder/ball/bullet combinations...I know feral hogs have a gristle plate (armor), I sense either of these guns may do the trick but id rather hear frm a voice of experience..thanks much..Mike L.
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well any gun, even if still accurate, will have a maximum effective range. Either gun will work just fine, and 80 grains of 2Fg is a 3-Dram load, which is the same as would be for a slug from either a 20 or a 12 gauge for deer..., and you could take said hogs with such a load, right? You will need to be close enough to place a good shot broadside though I should think

LD

Rich Pierce
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might add some wheel weight to the lead to mnake sure it shoots through the hog. I'm sure any load from 80 grains up will be fine at close ranges.
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say that's a pretty good idea if you are worried about punching through something like bone or bone itself. A .600 or a .715 is a big enough hole, so deformation is something you don't need.

LD

sonny
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: thinking about a black powder hog.but? Reply with quote

how much gun would be enough? Would a 54 cal rifle with 80 grains of 3f have enough ummph to get complete pass through at 50yrds?round ball of course...................sonny
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, depending on what you hit, and how wide is the hog. I hit a fat doe at 90 yards last Friday. .530 round ball over 70 grains of 3Fg. I was wearing heavy clothing and didn't have as tight a shoulder to stock weld as I needed, so the butt against my shoulder slid just slightly as I touched it off. I thought I missed, but the shot only went 12" high, (aim small; miss small) and the ball hit her in the spine, bouncing downward through the lungs. Recovered the ball just inside the skin on the opposite side from the entry point; dropped her where she was standing. The previous deer I shot from the same spot, was standing in the same spot..., ball went right through, but didn't hit nearly as much bone either.

So broadside, lung shot, at fifty yards, should be OK through the ribs, but if you're at an odd angle, and the pig is bigger than you realize so looks closer, but is actually farther away, and you hit a shoulder or a hip..., who knows. The previous idea about adding some wheel weights to the lead is a good one..., or just get a few modern, lead slugs, melt them, recast them, and then check the fit in your rifle. Most modern, target, handgun bullets are lead alloy to reduce lead buildup in the barrel, so are harder, and would work. Just make sure they fit your rifle as they will be slightly larger when cool than all lead.

LD

Adam Wetherington
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but just in case you are still wondering...

You should be fine with either of those. Even without a pass through it should bleed out no problem as long as you make it through that shield, but they ALL don't have the legendary thick ones so it may not even be an issue.

I took this ol' girl with my .410 when I was squirrel hunting. Shot placement is everything!

Where are you going to hunt? We gots lots of 'em in Florida!

Good luck!
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hunt squirrel with slugs?? HA! Just goofing around..., that is a very nicely placed shot!

LD

nwtradegun
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: ball size to hog Reply with quote

either one would drop a hog in its tracks at 75 paces so long as u do ur part. ive shot my share with a 58 and 62 . the main part is to hit in the neck area not the shoulder or gut. theyll run a mile if hit there. the south ga. hag asisinator
User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: trade gun hog Reply with quote

I can't get the picture to post, but this last Dec I shot a hog with a .62cal english trade gun, I used 70gn of 3F with a over powder card, fiber wad, and a PRB. The sow weighed 78lbs on the hoof, I shot her right behind the right fore leg (messed up some ribs) and it came out the left shoulder (messed up the shoulder). That was my second shot on her, I bucked the first shot and shot her thru both front feet. I had to crawl into a thicket tracking her and got the second shot that dropped her at about 10 feet thru the brush. A close shot for sure, but I have no doubt the .62 would do the same at 50yds.
Garry
Wild Willie
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key to putting hogs down is realizing that their vital zone of different than a deer. During a brief time as a hunting guide I tried to impress upon my clients that no matter the caliber, taking lung shots on hogs like you would on a deer is going to result in having to track the animal. Since hogs have a lot more fat on them compared to deer, pass through shots sometimes don't leave much in the way of blood trails as the fat tends to plug up the holes. This only adds to the stories that you must use extra large calibers going 3000 FPS to kill them quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com