This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
"Safe" Personas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomGrove
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: "Safe" Personas Reply with quote

What are some 'safe' (easy?) non-military personas. Everyday man sort of things. As an example, if someone asked me what would be a 'safe' persona for someone living in 2010 I would probably suggest office worker, factory worker, or sales clerk.

Its not that I'm trying to get out of doing alot of research, its just I get distracted by all these people I read about and think "OOOO, that'd be fun!" but then get to thinking well, out of 100 people living somewhere, only one guy would probably have that job. What are the other 99 doing?

For what its worth, right now my explorations are leaning towards someone working with a fur trading company (there's a fort 1/2 mile from my house that was built for such purposes) or on a survey crew, just because I want something that gives me a good reason to be regularly journeying through the woods.
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe and easy? Farmer. Up until the 20th century most people were farmers. My 5g grandfather was a farmer, but after the crops were in it was said by the family that he would spend weeks at a time in the woods hunting. He had an average farm and even a small forge, but he really loved to hunt.
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's a good one, and if you need a reason to be at a "market" event, but aren't a farmer, well they hired Paddlers didn't they, to move the canoes up and down the creeks and rivers to the trading locations, right?

LD

TomGrove
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think farmer was just too obvious. Its like finding my glasses on top of my head. :)

Paddler sounds like a great one too. Farmer would probably work better to get the family involved.

To explain a little more, I've been trying to work out who would have been hanging out around Fort Wilkinson here on the Oconee other than members of the military. It is a post-Revolution frontier fort built as a trading outpost.
AxelP
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodsman-- maybe a feller that owns and works a scrap of land near the fort. He is handy in the woods, and he volunteers to scout his part and report when he sees something important. Maybe part of being a "good neighbor."

K
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be a trader too. How about a "chandler"? The "ch" is pronounced like an "sh" and it's the ME root of "chandelier"..., it's a person who makes candles, or sells basic supplies such as a "ship's chandler". So..., you could be at the fort trying to negotiate for an order of candles (see that way you don't have to be actually dipping candles while you are there), or if you expand the term to the "general merchandise" you could be looking to provide the fort with candles, slow match, flints, black ball, pipe-clay, brick dust, sweet oil, the general consumables of a military post. Somebody sold it to the military at some point, and some commands bought supplies locally, some were supplied by a depot, and the depot contracted out orders.

I do a "chandler" impression once in a while, and provide lots of the stuff I have listed. Just a thought.

LD

TomGrove
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran across on online copy of (Google Books) copy of The Letters of Benjamin Hawkins that I've been picking through. Reading from a computer screen just isn't the same as holding the book in your hands. The letters are giving me some ideas on directions to go though.

White hunter poaching on Creek lands could be fun. :)
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW is trying not to get killed and scalped while hunting a "safe" persona??? HMMMM? (lol) :D Seems a might dangerous to me!

LD

TomGrove
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loyalist Dave wrote:
HOW is trying not to get killed and scalped while hunting a "safe" persona??? HMMMM? (lol) :D Seems a might dangerous to me!

LD

What actually stood out to me about the letter concerning the "citizens of Georgia fire hunting in Indian lands" was that they were given over to the authorities at Fort Wilkinson, and were being transported to jail in Savannah to be tried by Federal authorities. It actually doesn't make it clear (or I didn't read enough) WHO caught them on the wrong side of the river.
TomGrove
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmer, on the frontier, maybe actually within indian territory or a trader of some sort. The references I can find it seems that everything coming in for the men at the forts was through Federal supply lines. I need to sit down without distractions and seriously read through those letters, he seemed to be pretty thorough in discussing what was going on day to day.

If I were to seek out an actual person to portray, Ben Hawkins would be a pretty cool choice. He had a narrow line to straddle but seemed to do his damnest to maintain peace between the indians and the whites.
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the time period would be 1790 or later?
TomGrove
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzhugh Williams wrote:
Then the time period would be 1790 or later?

Yes, pretty specifically I'm interested in the goings on around Fort Wilkinson and the earlier forts here in Milledgeville. So 1790 (plus or minus a little) up to the period of the Creek Wars.

Rock Landing, Fort Fidius, Fort Wilkinson. All were built around the area known as Rock Landing and Old Oconee Town. I had assumed that trade would have taken place here and things gotten taken down river on boats, but from what I'm reading it seems that goods were brought to here from farther up river then taken by land to Augusta. I'm guessing the settlements around the Altamaha Sound weren't as established or the indians (other whites?) along the river farther south weren't as friendly? Bigger, meaner alligators than on the Savannah river?
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a little easier to find a gun for that period of time than for an earlier one. Some nice choices.
TomGrove
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzhugh Williams wrote:
Probably a little easier to find a gun for that period of time than for an earlier one. Some nice choices.

LOL... I've been trying not to dwell on guns too much right now. Thats a big pile of money all at once. I'm thinking that the period I'd like to concentrate on is pre-1802, before the Creeks ceded the land west of the Oconee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com