This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
oil cloth
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hicks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: oil cloth Reply with quote

I made my own,went to lowes home improvment store,bought a cotton canvas painters drop cloth,cut it to the desired size(mine was 10x9,I cut it in 1/2 making it 5x9)nailed it to the back side of the woodshed,painted it with an oil-based deck stain(looked at ingredient label-linseed oil and color pigment,so very authentic)after it dried,I turned it over and painted the other side.VERY WATERPROOF! the ONLY downside I could come up with is:it is slightly heavier than the store-bought one from merchants such as TENTSMITHS or PANTHER PRIMITIVES. PS. The color deck stain I used turned out a cross between orange/light brown/yellow...NO SMELL NO STICKY as some have found with turpentine mixture,or beeswax mixture.
*Hawkeye*

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making an oilcloth now with a king size 100% Egyptian Cotton top sheet soaked in 2 quarts BLO, 1 quart Paint Thinner and 3oz Japan Drier. Light weight and waterproof.
mboyce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocities.com/union_guard/oilcloth_and_painted_accoutermen.htm

This site has some great oilcloth recipes from the civil war, but all ingredients are proper for earlier.
MacIntyre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, what deck stain did you use? I like the idea of using a drop cloth, much cheaper and easier than going to the fabric store.
Beowulf65

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found thru research on making an oil cloth that if it stiffens up a little then find a smooth round stone (about softball size) and placing the cloth on the ground rub the stone over it several times and this will help loosen it up a bit. I made mine the saame way John did and its great with an old world look while being very waterproof.
Josephp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing, and would suggest washing your dropcloth to shrink it before administering the waterproofing
captchee
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same but used a cotton canvas drop cloth which I got through harbor freight, much cheaper then Lowes or Home depo.
At first the weave looked very large but once washed , it shrank right up tight . I then applied the deck stain with a weed sprier .
A word of warning here guys . Leave the oil skin out for a week or two to dry . You will think its dry in a couple days but when you roll it up it will begin to heat up . So check it every couple hours by sticking you hand inside , if it getting hot , lay it back out to dry . Until your sure its dry donít store it next to anything that you donít want burnt up because it WILL ignite itself when not completely dry .

My skin is now maybe 5 years old . With use , it has become lighter to carry and non of the water resistance seems to have been lost
Hawkeye
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captchee wrote:
... harbor freight, ....

Harbor freight often has online prices lower than in the store. On anyting, check online prior to going to the store and print out. At the store, show the manager the pice and they will honor it.
I saved some on some rope last year.

norseguy
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cloth Reply with quote

Quote:
I made my own,went to lowes home improvment store,bought a cotton canvas painters drop cloth,cut it to the desired size(mine was 10x9,I cut it in 1/2 making it 5x9)nailed it to the back side of the woodshed,painted it with an oil-based deck stain(looked at ingredient label-linseed oil and color pigment,so very authentic)after it dried,I turned it over and painted the other side.VERY WATERPROOF! the ONLY downside I could come up with is:it is slightly heavier than the store-bought one from merchants such as TENTSMITHS or PANTHER PRIMITIVES. PS. The color deck stain I used turned out a cross between orange/light brown/yellow...NO SMELL NO STICKY as some have found with turpentine mixture,or beeswax mixture.

I am in the middle of making one myself...
I washed the canvas in hot water to shrink it...and dried it hot...
Then I dyed it Brown...
And then I stretched it out...and brushed an Oil-based Deck Stain on it...
It's not drying...slowly...
But, I am not really sure what I expected the end procuct to be...but the canvas seems to have 'absorbed' the stain...the stain does not seem to have 'coated' it... Again, it is not dry yet...but it does not seem like it is going to be a lot 'heavier'...but I suspect it will be fairly 'water-repellent'...

I am wondering I want to/need to...Coat it with Something Else? to further Stiffen It? The 'Weight' it is right now...it might be ok as a cover or even a ground-cloth folded over...but no way would it act like a lean-to?

Please tell me more specifically how yours turned out?

Thanks!

Norseguy in Wyoming
DFoster
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Did you coat one side, let it dry, then coat the other? When I did mine, the first coat absorbed into the canvas, kind of like a primer. The second coat I put on spread thinner and stiffenned it up. After the second coat dried, I rubbed it down with a smooth stone to break the stiffness. I've been using it for over 6 years and it still works great for any purpose I need it for.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

norseguy
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you coat one side, let it dry, then coat the other? When I did mine, the first coat absorbed into the canvas, kind of like a primer. The second coat I put on spread thinner and stiffenned it up. After the second coat dried, I rubbed it down with a smooth stone to break the stiffness. I've been using it for over 6 years and it still works great for any purpose I need it for.

I have only coated one side so far, however it did seem to permeate all the way through...

Are you saying I need, what's the word...Patience ??? <G>

That I lack, I fear...

I guess I need to wait for it to fully dry...and then see what it looks like and feels like...
But as you say...it may need another Coat...to Stiffen It Up...and then use something smooth to make it a little more flexible...

I guess that's why I was asking...For Reassurance !!!!

<G>

Norseguy in Wyoming
DFoster
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, patience is good. Fortunately I seem to have it in abundance, my wife has none. It would seem you're experiencing the same thing I did. I got the desired result after the second coat. Mine's 6x9, has served as ground cloth, shelter, and cover for the stuff you don't want seen at an event in all types of weather. The best thing is that it's turned water in a turd floating rain and kept me and my gear dry on more than one occasion.

Keep with it, you'll get there.

Daniel

Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did what *Hawkeye* did. Try looking in the clearance bin at places like Blood Bath and Beyond (Simpson's reference :)) or Linen's and Things. I picked up a Queen size 300 count egyptian cotton bed sheet for about $20. I sprayed some coloured deck sealer on it and VIOLA you have a lightweight treking tarp. Spanish red in colour and completely waterproof. it is way lighter than the drop clothes if you are carrying them on your back. It seems to roll up tighter also (I have both kinds). I added some musket balls and short lines attached to the corners to be able to stake it down, or configure it anyway i want.

i will be keeping my eyes open for a King size. I'm tall and need a little bit more.

Le Loup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Tarpaulin. Reply with quote

Tarpaulin in the 18th century was canvas permeated with tar, a distilate of pine pitch. This waterproofed the canvas. Keith.

http://www.yacht-volant.org/SailorTalk/seaterms09.html
wayne1967
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same as Norseguy and am now waiting for some warmer weather to paint it down. I am using 4 to 1 parts of boiled linseed and mineral spirts. I am also going to add some baking soda to cut down the acid in the linseed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com