This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
First Flintlock Caribou

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flintlock75
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: First Flintlock Caribou Reply with quote

After 3 seprate attempts to bag a Caribou i was finaly sucsessful. We left home at 5am to begin the 200 mile drive to Paxson Lake and hopefully migrating Caribou. The first weeks of November find the Caribou beging the long walk to Canada for the winter. They begin herding up and moving out in groups of 5-300. We arrived in the hunt area just after sunrise ( 9:30am). The area is heavely wooded with spruce trees and alder thickets, visibility is only about 50 feet in most places. As we climbed a hill we could see the lakes below us about 2 miles away, out on the lake was a herd of about 300 caribou crossing the ice and heading our way. We pulled over in an access road and parked. We got out and i primed the flintlock of my .54 cal Jaeger rifle, I crossed the road and went down slope towards where the Caribou were likely to show up. I was 50 yards from the road when i came on a utility trail that roughly parralled the road. Just as i stepped into the trail a small cow poped out of the brush and stopped to look at me, I cocked the hammer and got ready, Just then another caribou came into the trail and ran off the cow, it was a young bull, He never even looked my way but went after the cow, The onlt shot i had was a going away shot, as i was debating the shot he stopped and turned sideways, at 30 yards, I took aim at his upper neck and squeezed the Trigger, the rifle fired instantly and sent the PRB down range, I used a load of 80grs of 3F and a .530 ball. Just as the gun fired the woods in front of me expolded with Caribou, 40-50 animals headed out of the brush on to the trail, this all happening with a cloud of thick white smoke covering the trail in front of me. At first the caribou were moving away from me, I began to reload and looked up to see them turn around and come right at me, I had the rifle primed and was ready to shoot again if needed. The caribou saw me and dove off the trail back the way they came and in less then 2 minutes it was quiet, the animals gone from sight. As i walked down the trail to were the bull was standing i saw brown and white fur not moving, the ball had hit him at the base of the skull and severed the spine, Nice and neat and no addrenalin in the meat. The bull was small with small antlers but he was my first one with a flintlock rifle. I took out my camera to take pictures and turned on the camera, as i shot the picture it flashed low battery and shut off, it figures. The pictures are from after i got it home and hung it in my Garage for butchering.

The bull was about 250 pounds, about the size of a large whitetail deer.
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.

freedom475
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice!!!.. Thank you for the story and pics!

My bro lives up there... maybe someday I'll get to go see him and take my flinter.

My site.. www.7xleather.com

My album... http://cid-37700c349c0618b4.skydrive.live.com/albums.aspx
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Doug R.
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely excellent!!!

Swamp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool! Congrats on a sucessful hunt. Thanks for sharing your story and photos. Now, enjoy the harvest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com