This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
elk hunt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sherpa
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: elk hunt Reply with quote

Well I was successful in my pursuit of elk here in Colorado. I managed to bugle call in a pretty nice 5x5 bull in to within 40 yards of me in the foothills (7500ft above sea level). Once I realized he was on to me I shot him with my replica 1863 Remington "Zouave" Union 58 caliber musket. I was using a regulation load of 60 grains of 2F & an original style minie of about 500 grains. In all honesty this is NOT a good load for an animal of this size (he weighed about 700 pounds). It had plenty of "knockdown" but lacked in penetration and more shots were required. The elk traveled perhaps 50 yards before expiring. After expiring it fell over a cliff and only a tree growing out of the side of the hill stopped it from going ALL the way down to the bottom. We had to secure it with blocks/tackle & ropes before skinning it. It was brutal getting the quarters back up the hill! I have a picture of me posing with it, but I may need help posting it. I can email it to someone if that helps. I wish I would have had time to take more & better pictures but time was short and the weather was hot. It was the best we could do at the time. I hope you enjoyed reading about my experience :)

Can someone post this for me if I email it to them?[/img]
bushytail
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your elk.Maybe someday I`ll get to hunt them.I`m not very good with computers,so hopefully someone can post your pics.I would like to see them.
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation. Post a picture.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com