This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Goose Hunting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt John Black
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Goose Hunting Reply with quote

Has anyone ever gone goose hunting with a flintlock? I am planning on giving it a shot, early goose season is next month. Just wanted to get some opinions, advice, or whatnot. Thanks.

bushytail
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun.You could get some practice shooting at crows.I did read somewhere about wearing shooting glasses when your pointing upwards with a flintlock.Some primer gun powder can fall back into your eyes if it doesn`t fire off.Something to think about.Good luck and you`ll have to show us some pics.
What gun and cal. are you useing?I never went goose hunting,but I would think what you use for turkey would work for goose.Here in PA,I think you have to use steel shot for water fowl.Check your rules and regs on that.
Capt John Black
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a .750 cal. fowler, and yes we have to use a non toxic shot in RI too, which I am having some trouble finding. So this should be an adventure! Pictures to follow, in a few weeks.

Hiparoo
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for non-toxic shot, find some modern bismuth shotgun shells and cut them open...or look up non-toxic shot on google and you'll find a few offering there too....None of it's cheap

bob miller
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shot geese coming in to my beaver pond, with my "Bess" and with my Chamber's 10 bore N.E. Fowler. I used 80 gr FFg and 100 gr equiv of # 4 shot. [ bismuth] I got better patterns with a paper shot tube.
Mine were taken at about 25 yds , wings set, coming in to land. Worked like a charm.
benbjh
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track of the wolf sells no toxic shot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com