This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
What kinda of moccs for winter hunting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bushytail
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: What kinda of moccs for winter hunting? Reply with quote

Since my feet and hands get cold 1st,how do you keep your feet warm during hunts when there`s snow on the ground or even just down right cold out?I`ve wore my moccs in the fall while hunting but put on the modern boots when it gets cold.If I made my moccs from deer hide with fur on the inside,would that keep my feet warm enough?(Maybe with wool socks added?)Would it be HC,PC to make them that they come up the leg higher?(maybe below the knee or half way up the calf?)I was hoping some of you might know some tricks to insulating moccs.Now that I have a flintlock,I would like to dress more for the 1800 time period while hunting.I live in PA if that helps at all.
I have center seam moccs that are nice for spring,summer,fall.But,I would like to try and make a pair for the winter.
Francois Labiche
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a hair on sheep hide and make yourself a pair of bootees out of them, fleece on the inside. I haven't found anything warmer, modern or not. Even when wet.
F

bushytail
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn`t thinkof that.(booties)I think I`ll try that and see what happens.What would be the best oil or water-proofing for the outside of mocc?Montana pitch-blend leather dressing?
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://frenchinwisconsin.yolasite.com/resources/articlefootwear.pdf

Warmest and best footwear I have ever used... I even wear my winter mocs for modern icefishing and snowshoeing.

Isaac

Francois Labiche
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prejudgest... I don't attempt to waterproof a moc. Nothing really works for long and grease just makes them difficult to dry out once they are wet. Just don't walk thru water with them on. I keep a spare pair and don't wear them when out walking. I change into my 'toasty toes' after I arrive at destination or when it is so cold that the snow isn't wet. ( Crunches or Squeeks when you walk on it).
An outer layer of more durable leather works too. See Isaac's pattern.
F.

flintlock75
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Winter Boots Reply with quote

When i hunt in the winter i wear my moc's with heavey wool socks, once there is snow on the ground i made a pair of hair-on Caribou hide Over boots, The hair side is in, and i added a peice of hide to the bottom of the foot Hair Out to aid in traction. They work fantasticly. Warm, comfortable and no slipping on the snow and ice. I wear these over the moc's and they come up to my knees. They work great in snowshoe bindings and keep your feet dry. When in camp they come off and get dryed out. If it is really cold (below 20 deg) then they stay dry all day.
Bigfoot
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Winter Mocs Reply with quote

I made a pair of side seam mocs out of deerhide, hair on. I made them with the hair on the inside, but could not get my feet in them. The hair was the wrong way! So I reversed them (turned them inside out) and resewed them with the hair out. I then made wool liners and wear heavy stockings. They are warm, dry, and have great traction. Due to my size 14 foot, it leaves a really scary, furry footprint in the smow.
flintlock75
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: winter boots Reply with quote

here are some pictures of the winter over boots i described.

I use a leather strap to lace them up and around my calf. They extend to knee hight.
Turkeyfoot
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Flintlock75 Reply with quote

FL75,

Can you tell me who made the moccasins on the left in your photo.

Thanks.

bob miller
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair that look exactly the same. I purchased them from Arrow Moccasins about 10 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com