This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Noob needing some help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CherokeeScot
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Noob needing some help Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm pretty much brand new to Historical Trekking and live in NW North Carolina. I can't seem to find much going on around here and wondered if there were others in the area who would be interested in talking. I haven't developed much as far as Persona goes, I'm part Cherokee and would like to incorporate that if possible. I also know the Longhunters weren't too far from me so am thinking about that as well.
I'm looking to purchase a Flintlock kit that would at least look the part for the mid 18th century. I'm purchasing it primarily for hunting small game but would like to use it while Trekking. I'm quite poor and have been saving for a while and wouldn't be able to purchase until September/October. I've got my eye on a .45 cal Kentucky Flintlock. From what I've read this caliber is too small for the time period but would a hunter in the backwoods in the 1750-60's be carrying a Kentucky Flintlock?
Thanks for any and all help!
J. Cooper

Mario
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Jacob.

There are folks in your area (I am not one, though) who have similar interests.

Are you looking at just going out in the woods or doing re-enactments, living history demos, etc?

Being part Cherokee, perhaps that is the persona that would be a good choice. Lord knows we don't have enough good Indian personas in the living history hobby.

Check out the folks at www.southernindiandept.org.

There is a large event at Ft. Loudon in August. If you can make it out there as just a spectator, it'll show you what types of personas there are and you can talk to folks that are doing what you want to do.

As to a rifle. I would put that last on yyour list.

1. It'll be the most expensive part of your kit.
2. You can find good deals on used pieces when you have cash on hand.
3. The plain fact is, factory produced flintlock rifles don't really "look the part." You will likely outgrow a "close enough" rifle quite quickly and want something better. It's happened to all of us...trust me.

Once you start networking with folks, you'll find the deals and folks who are willing to help you put a good quality kit together. Some have things to lend while you're getting your stuff together.

Good luck.

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
CherokeeScot
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help Mario! As dumb as this may sound I hadn't given it much thought as to what I wanted to do. But since reading your post I've taken some time to mull things over and I have to say I'm more interested in Trekking and Period Hunting. If I can find the time I'll run out to Fort Loudon, sounds like it would be quite interesting. And thanks a lot for the site! I appreciate your advice and help. Hope you're doing well.
J. Cooper

WHITEWOLFDAKOTA
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to all Mario said. Go on to Conteporary Longrifle Association site and see where a lot of our crowd looks and drools! August is the BIG show for them in Lexington,Ky. and have been looking forward to it for a year but family pressures are calling in another part of the country,lol. Probably a good thing cause I know I'd sell my car for some of those playtoys. Looks like my Grandson will see DisneyWorld and my DisneyLand will have to wait for another year! The advice NOT to rush into a rifle is very sound. I can see all my fellow forest comrades smiling now!

WATCH YOYUR TOPKNOT!
CherokeeScot
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. Cocke, I appreciate the advice as well as the website! I'm hoping to make a show or two this year but things have gotten very busy very quickly. I have a woodworking show in Sept where I'm manning a booth, just took the physical agility test to become a Volunteer Firefighter so should be taking classes over the next year, and this is the busiest time for my wife as the kids should be moving back into the dorm soon. Getting hectic, but can't take my mind off of Trekking, nor do I want to get it off my mind! Thanks again for the help!
J. Cooper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com