This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
supplier of pc line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depot7254

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: supplier of pc line Reply with quote

anyone have a good supplier of 18th century line? Or do you make it yourselves?
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i've made some horse hair lines, but not real happy about the process or the strength. i could probably make them with more hairs, but what a pain.

i've gone to using hemp line on my poles, cork and stick bobbers, and tying my own flies. the fly tying is pretty fun and not nearly as maddening as the horse hair line making.

Black Hand
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: supplier of pc line Reply with quote

depot7254 wrote:
anyone have a good supplier of 18th century line? Or do you make it yourselves?

I have been using waxed silk as fishing line. Was being sold as Dental Floss at the local health-food store....
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: supplier of pc line Reply with quote

DELETED
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depot, I picked up hemp line 1/8" from R+W Rope, Google them. I use the line on my two drop-lines that I use for my interpretation of a 17th century Pemaquid, Mayne cod fisherman. pm me on FFF with your e-mail and I will send you pictures of the line, R+W rope has sizes smaller and larger then what I use. Also check with Bill Wasson, seaducksunlimited@roadrunner.com, Hope this helps. Paul
MSzychulda
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tarsmell.com/products.html

Here you go, Marline is about half way down the page. Turkey foot has good rope at a great price.
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me about tarred marlin being used as fishing line? PaUL
MSzychulda
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tarred hemp marline makes a good cod line for ocean fishing, or can be used for nets, ect. Tarred line was used for long lining as well for catching sole, haddock, ect.

I have been using it (although homemade) for my "coarse fishing." I use it as a mainline with a linen or silk leader. I make my own from linen thread which I soak in pine tar I make at home. I actually like to use boat sauce which is equal parts tar, linseed, and turp. I wind the tarred line on a hand wind for storage. Just don't store it wet, let it dry to prevent rot and mold. I have caught several trout on this line.

The poster did not mention what type of fishing he was doing, so this is just another option.
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSzychulda, Thanks for the information. I'm all to familiar with boat sauce and some of my clothing will testify to that in both smell and appearance. I've used tarrred marlin for years but have used it to mouse, whip, or seize. I've been useing three-strand hemp that I have tarred for my fishing line. Thanks again for the info, Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com