This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Becoming Johan Wilheim Voland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan
User

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Becoming Johan Wilheim Voland Reply with quote

In developing this personna, I have chosen to take the name of one of my ancestors. Johan Wilheim Voland was born about 1671 in Hessen, Germany. He married Anna Regina Halm November 22, 1701 in Altenkrchen, Baden, Germany. He, his wife and three children are listed in the 6th party of Palatines in Rotterdam, Holland in 1709. Johan apparently died on the voyage because when arriving in New York, Anna Regina gives her name as Vollandin (the trailing of the name indicates that she was a widow). She makes her initial appearance on Hunter's List on July 4, 1710 with one person over the age of 10 and two under the age of 10.

I will be developing the personna as if Johan survived the voyage and took part in the failed Naval Stores Project and then took up life as a farmer in the area of the Mohawk Valley along with a great number of other Palatines who settled in this area.

In development, I am going to set myself some goals:

1. Study the social customs and traditions of the German peoples in this time frame in order to be able to present a believable charactierization of a German immigrant trying to survive on the New York frontier.

2. Research and gather a kit that is documentable to a German farmer from the Palatinate now residing in the Mohawk Valley during the years of 1710 - 1720.

3. Learn at least a working knowledge of the German language (this will be a tough one for me, I barely have a working knowledge of the English language).

4. Study the farming techniques and practices of the early 18th century Mohawk Valley. Not only head knoweldge, but at least on a very small scale, plant and tend a garden in a totally (as much as possible) 18th century manner.

These are my first goals, I welcome your advice/criticism as I set out on this journey.

Morgan (Johan)

Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Learn at least a working knowledge of the German language (this will be a tough one for me, I barely have a working knowledge of the English language).

Get Rosetta Stone!

Learn how to make, and love, sauerkraut, oh and sausages like landsjager! You should be well versed in hog farming too.

LD

red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: german persona Reply with quote

Morgan, sounds like you have a large hill to climb! Concerning learning the German language, or any other for that matter, I would consider first learning the accent of a German who speaks broken English, before tackling the whole language. That way you can portray a german man who has learned broken english. This to me would be more practical at first, and would allow you more time to learn the second language.
Will your persona involve speaking to people in german? If not, learning how to speak english in a german accent sounds more applicable, at least at first. I understand your wanting to learn german for your persona. My family fortunately is Irish, so no second language is needed.
Just some thoughts
Squirrel

Morgan
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thoughts! Speaking broken English with a German accent won't really be a problem for me. I have been in theatrical/musical productions where I played a German in late 19th century America, so I can easily do that. As far as speaking to people in German, not really, but in moments of excitement or portrayed anger, I would like to be able to revert to my "native" language just to add to the portrayal.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions Red.

Morgan

brewyak
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also think that modern german will be a bit different than the german that was spoken in the 1700's
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many dialects of modern German.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com