This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
"Colonial Rifleman" in the Hudson Valley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woodchucker
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: "Colonial Rifleman" in the Hudson Valley Reply with quote

As I am just getting started in the "Historical Trekking" lifestyle, I have broken the most "carved in stone" of rules.....

I bought my flintlock FIRST!!!!!

I actualy bought a Pedersoli "Frontier Rifle" for use as a hunting gun. Mainly, to hunt deer here in N.Y. My very good friend and "Brother" Ken (adkmountainken) steered me toward this sight. The flint struck steel and the priming flashed, the fire of getting into reenacting has started to boom!!!!!

However, I find that my rifle is basicly useless for use in joining any serious reenacting group here in N.Y. Oh well, looks like I'll have to be content with playing by myself for a while. I searched for a persona, Hmmm maybe an "Eastern Longhunter" but alas I find there were no Eastern Longhunters in N.Y.

I live in the Hudson River Valley,an area rich with AWI history. In searching for my persona,my rifle must be part of the kit. It took me about 10 years to buy my rifle,and the financial funding for a "PC" musket or fowler is out of the question. I have been appoached by several kind folks,with offers of "recruitment" and the use of loaner muskets and gear untill I can aquire what I need. The problem is (silly as it sounds) I'm uncomfortable "borrowing" something(a musket)that I honestly know that I will not be able aquire. It just doesn't feel right to me. Like the neighbor who "borrows" your chainsaw. It's still yours,only it's in HIS shed!!!

So, my question is this..... (as I said, I'm totaly content to "play" by myself)

Would the persona of a "Colonial Rifleman in the Hudson Valley" be too "far fetched"???

I could be a member of one of the rifle companys that came into the valley to fight. I wouldn't actualy have to be FROM the Hudson Valley would I???

Again, any and all opinions are welcome!!!!!

Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year bro? The state was crawling with riflemen during the AWI, from PA, VA, and MD. Sir William Johnson's records show that he repaired rifles belonging to the Indians. You might want to look at the battles of Long Island and Harlem Heights, oh and Ft. Tryon. Knowlton's Rangers, sometimes referred to as Knowlton's Light Infantry, or Knowlton's Regiment, were formed from folks from MA, CT, and RI, and had riflemen with them at Harlem Heights. So you could easily have been sent up by MD, PA, VA and then "farmed out" to a ranger unit to support its operations. Seems like you need to start a company of riflemen c. 1776 or perhaps a company from Knowlton's Rangers.

OH and as for borrowing a loaner..., a reenactment unit that has a single, solitary, "loaner" musket you might be correct, but..., if it was my unit, since we have several loaner pieces..., we'd prefer you to come and fill in a spot on the line instead of going elsewhere, if all that was holding you back was the musket.

LD

Woodchucker
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS Dave!!!!!

Between 1775-1780..... I have offers from Mario to join his Oquaga Volunteers,and a couple of friends in the 5th N.Y. Reg. Both units have several "loaner guns" that have been offered.

I like the idea of starting a rifle company (possibly attached to the 5th) but even then,my rifle isn't really a "PC" copy of any rifles used. It's basicly as Mario put it "kind of a mutt" LOL. The Pedersoli "Frontier Rifle" isn't really copied after any particular "style" of Colonial Era rifle. (No patch box,case hardend lock,brass that doesn't belong,etc.) So even if I could manage to start a rifle company,I probly still wouldn't be able to use my rifle,unless they were REALLY "tolerant" so to speak.

This is totaly understood from a historical standpoint. One of the first things I learned here was the seriousness placed upon period correctness and documentation. For now,I'm trying to aquire equipment to put together a "kit" and content to use it for hunting and "scouts"..... I'm trying to find a persona that I can start with,and then build upon in time rather than "starting over" as most folks(and probly I will too) end up doing.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very familiar with your rifle. While it's not a copy of any school, it really isn't as "offensive" as some folks would have you believe. I modified one by removing the ears from the rear sight, polished off the case hardening, and cut the thimbles into tiny square washers, then replaced the thimbles with proper shaped ones set into the stock. I also removed the browning from the barrel, and gave the barrel a patina.

Funny how folks won't balk at a Pedersoli "2nd model" Bess but will B1tch about the frontier rifle, yet the Pedersoli 2nd model isn't really a correct 2nd model according to most experts, (well at least it has as many flaws as the frontier rifle) and the 2nd model was not as widely used as it was once thought. Yet, I think because there are so many of them, people don't complain about them as much.

What I meant about the loaners was that a unit with a single loaner needs to move it around a lot as new folks come in to try out the hobby, but if several are around you shouldn't feel bad about borrowing one. I wasn't suggesting you schlep all the way down from NY, though you would be welcome.

LD

longhuntr74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Somewhat the same... Reply with quote

Chuck,
I'm somewhat in the same boat as you with some different twists. I first started getting involved in this hobby at about the age of 16...with native interests through my involvement in the Boy Scouts Order of the Arrow organization. Then I learned about Rogers Rangers and when I was in college, Last of the Mohicans came out and that's all she wrote. Like many young men before me, I wanted to be like Hawkeye.

Over the past 19 years or so, I've bought clothes, made clothes, etc and my personna has evolved. I've waisted alot of money on things I thought I needed but have since resold (at 1/2 or less the price I paid). It took me about 15 years to finally buy myself a rifle and start actually participating in events vs. wanting to start.

I am not a member of any group or unit. I've been content to do the Rendezvous thing with my kids and do a couple of day treks/hunts, much like you have mentioned your desire to do. I'd say if you want to portray a longhunter/rifleman on your own, feel free to do so. I think the easiest and cheapest impression to go for is a militia-type impression. You can blend some civilian attire and some longhunter attire with whatever equipment you like (obviously trying to stay authentic) without "not being in uniform". I started out with a lot of native influence in my dress...through reading and research and some personal life experiences, I've leaned that, while there are those sensational stories of the "white man" who is adopted by this tribe or that, those are few and far between and most colonists despised the natives. I've toned down my native influences significantly and have slowly progressed to the militia type impersonation.

The benefit of participating in a unit is that it takes less equipment to start doing the camping thing as many times tents and the like are provided for use. The downside, and a reason I haven't been eager to sign up for any units, is that most want you to attend a minimum number of events every year...and with my career and schedule, I'm lucky if I can participate in 2.

By the way...I'm a fellow New Yorker...grew up in the Rochester area and currently at Fort Drum...for a few months.
Loyalist Dave
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Units also often allow you to participate in the first place. Due to many umbrella organizations working with sites to help run an event and prevent problems, units with insurance are allowed to participate, but individual "walk ons" often are not.

LD

gus13
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its kinda funny cuz I'm in about the same position! I wasn't originally interested in Living History or even Reenactments so much, I just loved historical firearms so I ended up buying A pedersoli flintlock out of Cabela's no research no nothing I just wanted a flintlock rifle to shoot and hunt with. So I get to thinking "Maybe I would like to get into this living history thing, I got the rifle all I need is the clothes!" yeah well so much for that idea huh?!
My interest actually started in The American west (you know colts, winchesters etc, Hooray John Wayne!) but as I learned more I found myself going farther back - historically - so from 1880's to early 1800's Fur Trade, and as I researched groups and events in my area, Pennsylvania, I find of course this is mostly 1700's so more research on the 1700's and come to find myself really digging the F&I era, but my firelock isn't appropriate!
I'm still fiddling around with getting all my gear together, have been for a coupla years now actually, but much like you I'm fine with "playing" by myself for now. But of course for what I want to do the rifle can pretty much go out the window!
Can't say I regret it though, it was the first flintlock I'd ever owned and I learned a ton about them from it, and its done nothing but bolster my enthusiasm for flintlocks in general, and I look forward to touchin' off a Bess once I get one!
And yes I am aware I talk too much! ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Personas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com