This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Farbs Anonymous
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Farbs Anonymous Reply with quote

I shall be the first.

My name is Mario, and I am a farb.

Farbs Anonymous

“We all started somewhere…”

The 12 Steps

1. We admitted we were powerless over farbyness—that our personas had become undocumentable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to authenticity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of primary documentation.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our persona’s clothing and accoutrements.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to those on our message boards, the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have primary documentation remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove all traces of our chrome tan.

8. Made a list of all persons we had misinformed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take a persona inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through research and study to improve our conscious contact with our persona, seeking only for knowledge of His/Her life and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we try to carry this message to other farbs, and to practice these principles in all our historical affairs.

The 12 Traditions

1. Our common authenticity should come first; personal recovery depends upon FA unity.

2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority—primary documentation. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.

3. The only requirement for FA membership is a desire to stop being a farb.

4. Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or FA as a whole.

5. Each group has but one primary purpose—to carry its message to the farb who is still in denial.

6. An FA group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the FA name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.

7. Every FA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions to fund the bohea tea and cone sugar needed for our meetings.

8. Farbs Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers.

9. FA, as such, ought never be organized; but we may create service boards or just hang out at events.

10. Farbs Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the FA name ought never be drawn into public controversy (except on a historical message board).

11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.

12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personas.

Let he who is without (authenticity) sin, cast the first stone!

Mario
FA #1

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Bogie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Farbs.. Reply with quote

Hello,
My name is Willy.
I am an egregious FARB.
I need help and understanding.
I have a chrome tan belt.(augh)
I have coveted undocumented items.(Oh,no...)
I have a copper corn-boiler (The Horror)
I have machine-sewn garments in my closet.
Yes,I have eaten at the Roach Coach (not bad actually)
Member FA # 2
Willy
longcarabean
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#8 in the 12 steps (make a list) "my name is earl and i'm a farb". seriously some of us cant afford/have the amount of time it take to completely get the farb monkey off our backs. i started making small changes to my outfit/gear a few years ago. not for anyone esle but me,i felt like looking more like someone who would have been where i camp. now when i go out i try to change one thing or another for the better. because in the end it's still a learning process. were all on the same journey,just at different stations. and yes i'm still using my copper boiler and nesting cup

wsmith
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....
Are there recovering FARBs?
Is non-farbiness ever achievable?
:)

ALRA #106
Qui Transtulit Sustinet
(He who transplanted still sustains us)

Recovering FARB, Farbs Anonymous
Embrace the 12 step program :)
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
twobirds
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are there recovering FARBs?
Is non-farbiness ever achievable?

Yes, there are many recovering farbs. They are not too visible, though, because they become nearly intolerable to associate with.

It is not possible for Man, alone, to become a non-farb. It takes a greater power to take upon himself the sin of farbiness, and to impart upon the farb the righteousness of authenticity.

wsmith
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then as a recovering FARB, one could actually become anti-FARB........

Hi, my name is Wendell. I am a recovering FARB, and have striven to be non-FARB now for 18 years.

I apologize to all those women out there for whom my wife made French Bodices 18 years ago.......

I will continue to work on my kit to rid it of any FARBiness that it may have, or may be proven to have based on current and future research results, knowing that to rid myself of FARBiness completely is unattainable without help from a higher power (and a time machine) :)

I will encourage other FARBs to improve their kit with a friendly nature, knowing that not all recognize their FARBiness, without offense whenever possible, so that they can still tolerate to be around me......

What else......

:)

ALRA #106
Qui Transtulit Sustinet
(He who transplanted still sustains us)

Recovering FARB, Farbs Anonymous
Embrace the 12 step program :)
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Huntier
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE this thread! It's awesome.

CT03
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, count me in... (hangs head)
I am a bit farby on the edges and trying real hard to get rid of things like chocolate brown elk skin mocs dyed black...
my rifle is a Dixie tennessee about 100 years too late (built a fusil but its not a rifle)
my favorite camp knife is actually an old french chef's knife and

So when I get some brilliant idea like making a shirt from an old blanket
or silk wool blend thats real comfy...

I am happy that someone here is not too shy to reach out and say WHOA there son. They didn't do that.

Currently in the going away bin are:
Stainless mucket (well keep that one for regular camping trips allong with the peak 1 stove) replaced by a tin cup with a improvised bail handle.
Sleeved weskit made from a swiss army coat(can't believe I spent that much time on it)
cotton shirts (ick)
Dixie Tennessee rifle (as soon as i get arround to building another rifle)
teak wood eating sets (probably from a sushi set)
French chef knife (back to the kitchen) already found a new blade... need to make a handle.

red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: farbs anonymous Reply with quote

I too, with the help of ignorance and a skinny wallet in my youth, have . . .(wimper)
have subject myself at the young age of 14 to sewing split cowhide into pouches used, sold, and traded by myself in a free-spirited manner to those who aparently, were either FARB's as well, or were laughing at my ignorence. Not having a stitch of documentation as to their PC, and thinking I was a mountain man at such a young, tender age.
With a little understanding from a higher force, and graduation in mind, my next "kit generation" was mostly sewed with one of those . . . (wimper again), one of those awls with the bobbin in the handle.
Even currently, I have posession of several plastic beads (on different acouterments), given to me by dear friends. I can not bear to give them up! However horid my feelings toward their blatent farbyness, and mine for keeping them!
My question. Is there any uniformed FARB police? Is there no law in this land? Do we FARB's just wander, aimlessly into oblivion?
Squirrel
Huntier
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, am a farb. I machine sew most of my shirts. I've never gotten a deer(tho I dont' quit tryin'!) and I use chrome tan for my mocassins! I use dark brown rit dye on some projects cuz I don't have walnuts! (GASP!) I know I cannot beat this alone.... Seriously though. I think we can agree that there is FARB and farb. Differenc being...not reserching and going with what "looks good" or with the "status quo" --and then trying to justify or defend the position. There's the other "farbs" and I'd LIKE to think I'm in this catagory: we do the best we can with what we have to be as historically accurate as we can (and would like to be) and if for example we don't have walnut hulls and we'd like our leggins a little darker, and we KNOW that walnut hulls are one way of doing it, but we have to 'settle' for rit berries, then hey, it's all good. Anyway. Just my two bits...

Okwaho
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a most interesting thread. I have really enjoyed myself reading the most piteous and soul searching replies. And now that the self flagellation has ebbed amid signs of true remorse and genuine desire to live a better reenacting life,I couldn't help but remember the time that I asked Beth Gilgun how one could possibly replicate the stitchery in one of my books,{Fashion In Detail from the 17th and 18th century" by Avril Hart and Susan North} and she replied that the answer was really quite simple; it was called a sewing machine. She seemed surprised at my reaction but reminded me that there was but little difference between the stitching by a talented seamstress/tailor and that done on a sewing machine.As a case in point,some of my Civil War brothers become almost apoplectic at the thought of machine sewn uniforms BUT at the end of the War the state of North Carolina had a warehouse full of unissued uniforms ALL machine sewn.
I rest my case
Tom Patton
To whom Heresy is the Holy Grail.

Huntier
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's facinating! Thanks for sharing. They did good work back then! Thank goodness we can work on aquiring the skill on the one hand--so we know that we know, and on the other hand, we can use sewing machines and such if we feel it nescessary. We really have the best of both worlds, quite frankly.

Condé
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall those early machines didnt stitch like modern ones. They stitched more of a chain stitch. Like on a feed sack. Never looked into it myself as it was moot anyway, since there were no machines in our time period. It might be interesting for any sewing machine historians out there though.

___

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough"

www.condetrading.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
longcarabean
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know after reading some of the posts following my first i've decided that if have to turn into an anti-farb (read SNOB) to acheive oneness with the reenactin universe. i think i'll stick with being somewhere in between. can't rightly see myself turning my back on good freinds simply cause their outfit ain't just right. we all sleep on the same patch of ground right? now don't get me wrong i don't begrudge anybody that wan'ts to look like they just fell out of a history book. nor am i going back to the gold buckskins and plastic crow beads. if the outfit i put together from my own research look's good to me then it ain't nobody else's g****mn business. i'll get down off my soapbox now and, if you'll all join hands we will begin with "koombiyah"

red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: farb Reply with quote

Richard, I think you have the point correct. Most all I know is in some way, no matter how small, a farb. Including me. So I have a nice trunk made of pine, pegged together with wooden rods. Good thing I had the table saw, planer, electric sander, and drill press to build it.
I think this thread is meant to be sarcastic, and fun to read. I have items that I have or want to replace. Im not going to get it all 100%. I have some commercially tanned leather, a flinter that I made to my liking from a kit, etc. I cant afford with money or time to be 100%, but i can sure try and eventually will get closer. For me its the hunt. I like researching and making my kit as much as I do wearing it.
We have kids in our ranger group who may not have a father to support them in their new hobby. No one yells at them for wearing tennis shoes when their obviously making an effort with the rest of their kit to be PC, but dont have the money or knowledge yet to do so. At least their interested in learning about history, and not so much about how to beat the draggon on level 12 on nintendo.
Nobody is running you off or asking you leave friends in their farbness. Good friends are hard to find, much harder than a farb!

Last edited by red squirrel on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com