This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Good Afternoon for Gardening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Gardening
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Good Afternoon for Gardening Reply with quote

Today's high was in the mid-20s and sunny, and I took at advantage of the break in the weather to do some pruning on the apple trees and grape vine. I did a lot of lopping and sawing, and I took the opportunity to press my new old folding billhook back into service after it likely layed unused for decades in someone's collection. (Thanks Pit. Worked like a charm.)

I also brought in a load of potatos from the root cellar, still in excellent shape after all the freezing weather we've had, and I dug and brought in a kettle full of compost for starting this year's tobacco and vegetables. Why buy good dirt when you can make it?

Worked 'til dark, wrapping up by moving my box trap and some snares to where the rabbit sign was most concentrated and evident in the snow, then as darkness set in built a good roaring fire of last season's cuttings and scrap lumber, warmed myself and enjoyed a mug of Irish Coffee while kicking around some ideas for the coming year.

Came in and made a supper of baked garden fresh potatos, shrimp and lager, sat down and ordered some Orinoco seed and a Green Gage Plum Tree.

No good excuse for cabin fever, none whatsoever.
DELETED

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: gardening Reply with quote

Jim, how high do you prune your apple tree?

I trimmed one about 3 years back too late in the spring and it hasnt produced much. The tree was basically let go before I came along, and had grown to about 20' tall. I trimmed it back to about 10', and will do more this year, hoping it produces again. Learned my lesson on pruning too much, too late.
Simeon
Jim Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: gardening Reply with quote

red squirrel wrote:
Jim, how high do you prune your apple tree?

I trimmed one about 3 years back too late in the spring and it hasnt produced much. The tree was basically let go before I came along, and had grown to about 20' tall. I trimmed it back to about 10', and will do more this year, hoping it produces again. Learned my lesson on pruning too much, too late.
Simeon

Hi Simeon. I haven't pruned enough in year's past and this year I'm eliminating a lot of the over growth, suckers and waterspouts, smaller limbs. Just trying to get it opened up basicly, and heading back the side branches, trying to give them a slight conical shape. I haven't headed back the top though, and I'll probably wait until next Winter to do that. As it stands now the bigger of the two trees is probably around 20 feet tall. I'd like to get it pared back down to 10 or 15 feet.

I found out not too long ago that if you prune in the Summer while the tree is producing chlorophyll it'll retard it's growth the following year....less food stored over the Winter to fuel it's growth spurt the following Spring. That's one of the strategies used to create Bonsai trees. Handy little bit of information to know. Since I've done a lot of pruning already, I'll probably wait and head the top of the tree next Spring, then next Summer prune on the smaller branches, suckers and waterspouts. We'll see how it works out.

I'm no expert, but there's a lot good information on the net about pruning. I think every Ag extension service in the country is online now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Gardening All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com