This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Powder Horns
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Powder Horns Reply with quote

In carrying your powder horns, what do you like most? Do you carry both hanging from your hunters pouch, or just the big one with the primer horn stuck inside the pouch? I have seen pictures of both. Looking for your preference.
Pro's and con's for each way.
Longhunter around 1770's-80's.
Keb
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horn on it's own strap on the left, bag on the right & primer in the bag.
I'm right handed and can't seem to get used to having my horn on my bag strap.
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Bigfoot
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Powder Horns Reply with quote

I'm left handed. I carry my shooting bag on my right side, with a powder horn on its own strap also on the right side. My priming horn is a small one and is carried in a seperate pocket inside my bag.
I chose this fashion so that neither the bag nor the horn rattle against my rifle when carried on my left.

When hunting in non-traditional garb, I carry my pre-measured powder loads (70 or 85 grains) in tubes on my vest, with a bullet board and prb hanging around my neck. My priming horn is in a pocket on my vest. Very fast, quiet, and efficient. (My vest has special pockets made of wide black elastic to hold the tubes and the priming horn.)
JW
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 1770's and 1780's, you can omit the priming horn. I sometimes use one for convenience, but need to practice more at priming from the main horn.
Hiparoo
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's a priming horn?......just kidding, I stopped using one about 20yrs ago...I think most small horns are pocket horns(for pistols) or day horns....

depot7254

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both on the right no priming horn -right handed shooter
Huntier
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: ditto Reply with quote

I'm right handed, my pouch n' horn are on seperate straps on my right side. 3f in horn for .50 flint rifle, and no priming horn.

Lyndon
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ditto Reply with quote

Huntier wrote:
I'm right handed, my pouch n' horn are on seperate straps on my right side. 3f in horn for .50 flint rifle, and no priming horn.

me three
I used to carry horn on one side pouch on the other but it doesn't work to well when you've got other stuff to carry. Now its horn and pouch on the right (seperate straps) and if I've got a haversack and canteen they go on the left.

Lyndon
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
k snow
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry my horn and pouch on my right, on separate straps, right handed shooter. I quit using a priming horn about four years ago. Tried the horn on my left, can't seem to get the hang of priming that way. With the horn on its own strap, it slips around a bit when you are priming, especially when the horn is getting low. Otherwise you are trying to raise the whole bag into the air to prime.

Kyle Snow
tink
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry my horn on my bag. Both are real high so they will not move around when running or bending over. Cant say about a primer, just prime from main horn. The less I have to lose in the woods the better!
red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: powder home Reply with quote

Ok, seems like im the only feller with a priming horn. Interesting, I never thought of priming with 3F.
So my next question then is do you notice a differance with ignition priming with the bigger powder?

Come to think of it, I remember 20 years ago helping another guy shooting his flinter and priming with my 3F because he only had 2F and it shot fine.
Captain_Cogle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always primed my matchlocks and flintlocks with 3F powder. The finer grain the more likely it is to fall out of the pan with movement as fowling builds up if you are shooting quite a bit like in a reenactment situation. I tried using fine powder once and truly found the 3F to work best as a primer.

With rifles it may be a whole different story I confess ignorance as I dont own a single rifled 18th century long arm.

I only have .69+ gauge smooth bore 18th century weapons or typical 17th century weapons.

Last edited by Captain_Cogle on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lyndon
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started leaving my priming horn at home a few years ago. I load my 50 with 3F and now prime with the same. I didn't notice any difference

Lyndon
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
k snow
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference I have seen is that the pan doesn't get as wet during extended firing during humid weather.

Kyle Snow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com