This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
winter trekking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuckcolas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: winter trekking Reply with quote

Howdy all, I want to get some of our club members into trekking. There are only a couple of guys that want to do it for real.
Looking for some good ideas about winter trekking. We go out in the high desert of Northwestern Nevada. It does get pretty cold, I am pretty sure we would have to do it with at least 2 blankets. But, I definitely want to go with as little gear as possible.
I'm a greenhorn at all of this, but I want to learn and do it right!
Trapper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, the best way to get started is to read the tips on here, use common since, get a buddy and go for it. You will learn each time. First time you go , try to pick your weather. Then challenge yourself more each time. If conditions get unfavorable, stick it out, but use common sense. when you go, make sure someone knows where you are going to be. Don't count on the cell phone, but they aren't a bad idea in case of emergency. Above all use common sense! Like I said there are a million tips on this list. That and experience are the best teachers. Where are you located? Good trekkers are hard to find, they are like best friends, but worth the effort. Good luck and have fun.
jbtusa
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, don't rely on a cellphone for emergencies. Take your 2 meter handheld ham radio. They will always get out to a repeater for calling for help. They are the most reliable communication available to average Joe. Cheap too.
AxelP
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first period trip was in my back yard. my second was with a few experienced people. You might try to do a drop camp first--a close walk to the car but in some woods or the desert in your case... store a sleeping bag in the car if things get unbearable (they wont)

Ken
DELETED

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
RudyB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

I've slept out with a single blanket in January when the nighttime low was 10 degrees, and I used a hot coal bed. Dug a hole about 6 feet long, two feet wide and two feet deep, got a raging fire burning for about 3 hours then let it burn down, then covered the hot coals and ashes with about 6 inches of dirt. Let it steam for a while or cover with a tarp. Kept me warm all night.

I've also heard about carrying some thick 100% wool bags and stuffing them with hot stones, then putting these stones inside the blanket with you. I haven't tried this one yet.
John C
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: winter treks Reply with quote

Sounds cool to dig a 6X2x2 foot hole .
But with temps that low seems like the ground would be froozen down a ways.
Tomuch work for me to dig in frozen ground.
Reflecting fire and a good thick nest of broughs and leaves seems more appealing to me.
As ya get older ya get tired fast.

John C
RudyB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the ground was frozen down quite a ways, but we kept a fire going for a while where we wanted to dig and then were able to dig the thawed out ground. For clarification purposes, we were in an old sand pit. Digging a hot coal bed requires mineral soil as opposed to forest soil.

And to make a confession, we had a couple of young'uns with us and they did all of the digging. We old timers supervised and drank coffee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com