This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
New Skills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarlK
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: New Skills Reply with quote

Over the past 20 years I have played with toboggans, snowshoes, bark canoes etc.. This year I challenged myself to learn coopering. Taking classes and buying hard to find tools, I practiced numerous days a week. Here is how the summer of coopering faired:

Some of the tools which became my constant companions:

Late May through September work:
Canteen, tankard, barrels raised, fired and complete, churns, piggens, numerous buckets, tubs etc... (not counting the repair of over 12 barrels, buckets and tubs)

more weeks to go at work, then the coopering begins in the cold garage at home, it has been a blast, a learning blast and it is getting more easy...never too late to learn new skills...getting to the point where I cringe at the early work.

Karl Koster
Rich Pierce
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great undertaking. My great-great grandfather was a cooper and I have a trunk he made and signed, so your adventure is quite exciting to me.
eseabee1
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow good job I am taking on the task of learning to do quillwork
Boulanger
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boulanger's order:
1 -1/2 gallon ladel with 3 foot handle to handle hot liquour
1 -8 gallon mash tun (with hole in bottom)
1 -8 gallon recieving tun/ fermenting tun
2 -2 1/2 gallon casks

(Jim Kimpell will be making the tin cooling trays)

(If I have a few years to wait on these... no problem .... LOL)

Great job! You are not only an inspiration, but everyone knows how generous you'll be with your knowledge and skills.
ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, Karl! Sweet, I will be placing my order next after the baker!
Pit
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Karl.What do you prefer wet coopering or dry coopering?Are the tools the same?

Don Beltrami
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff- sounds like you might be brewing some beer?
KarlK
User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Preferred Reply with quote

Pit,
Many seperate coopering by slack or wet or white. Slack for apples or axeheads, wet for beer or wine and white for milk,sugar, flour etc... Personally, I seperate them by items on what I like better.
I like longer staves, churns and buckets are getting more easy and quick to do, tankards/canteens and even some tubs or keelers can be a pain. Again, short staves annoy me.
I play with cedar, aspen, basswood and a little bit of spruce or pine. Cedar is my common wood, it is what is local. Nice coopering history in this area from Fur Trade to Commercial fishing. We have no oak, so I don't mess with it (Thankfully).
Barrels are an overall pain, I have not been trained in barrels, but hope to apprentice some next summer with Dan the cooper at Fort William Historic Park. Keeping buckets tight are easy, but barrels...dang! Once you get into bending staves, it is a whole new ballgame.
Tools: yes, some tools are simple too big for anything but barrels. Making the groove or croze for the heads in small items like tankards or canteens can be slowed since my crozes won't fit in anything smaller than a bucket.
Barrels and canteens have proved the biggest pain so far. In barrels of cedar I heat the wood and bring staves together with a rope windlass, oak barrels like for alcohol, that requires almost truss rings for compression...much more of a pain.
Hoops from willow or ash or cedar still can frustrate me, I have steamed, soaked, I have used various notches and key holes, but still I have not mastered wooden bands yet. I get lucky at times though.
Karl
Steve Stanley
User

Location: Somewhere between 21st century England & 18th century Acadia...........

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was said above....You are an inspiration....It's nice to know someone is doing the things I'll never get round to......
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com