This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
shooting bags natives would have used
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eseabee1
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: shooting bags natives would have used Reply with quote

I am looking for examples of bags that the native americians would have used to carry their stuff in for their firearms I would lik eto make one to go with the horn I made
Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a "slit" pouch. Pouchot mentions them specifically for hunting or war.

So the Native would carry powder horn, slit pouch (one side for shot the other for ball - Pouchot) and gun.

Those quilled and fingerwoven bags are probably NOT for hunting or war.

eseabee1
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the quill and beadwork was not used for war that much I did know because of the only grandfather I knew told me that he was native american....they were more for ceremonies and well special occasions thanks for the info
Mario
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one being carried over the horn:

Mike, what about this one that Brant's wearing?

ca 1790, IIRC

Mario

http://bycanoeandsnowshoe.blogspot.com/
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good image if you're doing 1807. Plus I think it might be one of the western great lakes double quill panel bags which we see in the Rhindisbacher images so frequently. Brant did get around.

Isaac
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Galban wrote:
Good image if you're doing 1807. Plus I think it might be one of the western great lakes double quill panel bags which we see in the Rhindisbacher images so frequently. Brant did get around.

REally... you think so?? I am not sure, but it is a cool thought. GOTTA love those cree/metis bags ;-)

IW

Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike,

As we say all the time when looking at period images.....it MIGHT be....LOL.

It does have similarities to those GL bags - and this is one of the only instances where an Iroquois is wearing a quilled bag. Hard to put quilled bags in Iroquois hands during the 18th c.

Singer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where would the green and blue facepaint come from (Artistic License?)curious...
Doing reading on Ojibwe bandolier bags.. they (authors) say "prior to 18th century the bags were constructed of buckskin, moose hide or "finger weaved" from plant fiber, and or constructed of wool blanket scraps...red being favored, but dark blue the most common" also that prior to 18th they were functional as hunting/rifle bags, with a top slit, or small flap and not highly decorated. But in the 1800's they became more of a status symbol and used as decoration with elaborate beadwork and loom work on the straps and at that time the bags became non funtional
Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the info on bags written?

Singer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmm i think i was the nebraska historical assoc.site..they have a large collection of Ojibwe bags. twas during search of "1700's Ojibwe Bandolier Bags" i believe was the google i used. It was a museum collection...it was 4 am...minds foggy.
Singer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/images/sites/mnh/bandolier_bags/w23.jpg

Fingerwoven bag circa 1860s
Singer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm....still wondering about the green and blue face paint in the pictures.

Michael, I'm having trouble retracing my journey through the net to find the info...
broken crow
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: bag? Reply with quote

Sorry but am I still missing something? I found no reference to anything 18th C on this web site? Am I pushing the wrong keys?????
Broken Crow
Luke MacGillie
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Galban wrote:
Ike,

As we say all the time when looking at period images.....it MIGHT be....LOL.

It does have similarities to those GL bags - and this is one of the only instances where an Iroquois is wearing a quilled bag. Hard to put quilled bags in Iroquois hands during the 18th c.

Hey, what about that set of gear from Germany, the one pouch that has the repaired bullet hole in it. Purchased by a Hessian Officer from a Mohawk

Crooked River
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Galban wrote:
I would go with a "slit" pouch. Pouchot mentions them specifically for hunting or war.

So the Native would carry powder horn, slit pouch (one side for shot the other for ball - Pouchot) and gun.

I would appreciate it if someone would tell me more about these "slit pouches." I did see the one in the image submitted by Mario (above), and there is one for sale with a "Chief Paugus" powder horn in the Virtual Round Robin section. It looks like a miniature "market wallet" made of hide rather than canvas. This looks like a simple and practical range bag to go with one's firelock. I would like to make one, but would just as soon build it correctly.

Comments appreciated.

Crooked River
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com