This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Spookies, Ghosts, lost souls etc...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David A. Schmid
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Spookies, Ghosts, lost souls etc... Reply with quote

Anyone in their travels see any spookies at historical sites?
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Not a one. Even went looking for them this summer.
D.S. Bradshaw
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of 'em! But they are usually called "tourists" around here!

Thought I saw a ghost at De Chartres once, but then I fell off the wall and realized i had had one too many.
Dacotah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No historical sites but here is a experience from just a few days ago.

3 days ago I took my dog for a walk up to a cemetery north of town. Now I have lived here 13 years and never "visited" it . this particular day, I thought it would be good exercise for the two of us as it is about 1.5 miles from the house. Anyway, upon entering , I thought I would check out the grave markers just to see who was buried there that might be of interest. no names that I recognized but I took note of how many folks were born in the mid 1800's. the earilist I found was a birth of 1835. On the norht edge of the cemetery there were 3 oblisk style head stones with a ball on top . thought that was interesting so I went over to check them out. 3 brothers all WWII vets. anyway as I approached the last one, suddenly my dog spooked, jumped and shyed away, then started growling and very hesitantly inched her way up to the third one, you know how dogs do when they are unsure , , poking their head forward and pulling it back. Her hackles were straight up on her back. She finally got to the the oblisk, head up sniffing and somewhat wagging her tail. At that time, I admit , I got somewhat spooked myself cuz I couldn't see what she was experiencing so I walked away, called her and we left.

Now maybe it was just the imagination of a 5 month old pup or maybe she saw something paranormal....don't know some things just can't be explained...maybe I should contact one of those ghost hunter programs on the boob tube! LOL!
badWind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster, yer pup probably smelled BIG DOG pee on the stone..
JohnN
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chappel in the French castle at Ft.Niagara is supposed to be haunted by a priest who legend has it was beheaded and thrown down the well. After my first event there we packed up on sunday and spent the night in the chapel with a few other brave souls. If ghost snore then there was a few in there but nothing went bump in the night. Also went on a weekend trek in Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois. On the way out as we were putting our guns,knives,etc... away some people drove up to us and asked if we had encountered any spirits or the "vortex". We answered no but held onto our weapons until they left.
david50
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes! went to visit my mother in-law yesterday.

Mo. State Rep. for the Traditional Muzzleloading Associasion member #277
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fort King George....mass grave of His Majesty's Independent Company buried there. They aren't real sure excatly where all the bodies are buried. They did dig up and reinter a few of them. the obelisk and headstones were put there by the British government to honor them.

Feels much cooler inside the tent when camped near the headstones. Kinda creepy. I now sleep farther away from them.....

RandyBell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a shadowy ghost hand out of the corner of my eye in a cemetery on a ghost tour in Columbia SC.
I heard of ghostly presence felt at Sutters Fort Ca.

I have any of you ever seen and/or felt otherworldly things while in the woods on a trek? Some have stumbled upon abandoned graveyards or haunted caves.

Randy
Jeff Gier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do ghost tours of the Fort at St. Augustine. I've been on a couple. The first one was fun, guides in period dress playing their roles and dispensing the history of the area.

The second was a more "serious" scientific tour. The only scary thing was the vegans/ hippie wanna-bees saying "yes, I feel a presence here..." My ghost meter only went off once, where they held executions by firing squad, but I never saw a thing.
shorthunter
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My youngest son and some friends got permission to tour a deserted Insane Asylum near our home. It was just last week and the temperatures were in the 90ís with very high humidity. They were in the basement of one of the buildings and as they neared the back rooms where the cells for violent inmates were located, the temperature dropped suddenly and they could see their breath in the air as if it were in the 30ís. They also got a feeling of being watched too, but they were the only 2 with flashlights who were brave enough to go into that area of the building. The bottom line is that they didnít stay too long down there. He said they backed away and the temps went back up to normal again. So they left the basement and went exploring another building. Chuck

Tsegoweleh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Ghosts Reply with quote

Oatsayo all,
While i was present, I dident see this incident. On one of our treks last year, A buddy of mine woke up in the night to see 3 individuals walking thru our camp area. he says they pointed at me sleeping and another guy, and then continued on. My friend shook his head to clear the cobb webs and they were gone.
wsmith
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened in 1997 or 1998. We were on a winter outing, spending two nights out in the snow in the Wasatch mountains of Northern utah.. While not at a historic site, it was an interesting and educational experience. All was done with period correct gear for our personas. The first night there were two of us, Greg Hanson and myself. We found some snow caves built by we assume some Boy scouts. We appropriated one of them and spent the night. Greg and I had some good discussions throughout the evening and the next day, and one topic that came up was about the historically based novel about Simon Kenton, and his exploits in the Early Kentucky period. We talked about the story of when he sat on the ground near a trail during a snowstorm, built a tiny fire and circled his legs around it, covering himself with a blanket, and thus stayed warm during the snowstorm. The next day two others joined us and we dug a snow pit about 1/2 mile away from where we were the previous night. Greg's snowshoes weren't big enough for him, and had alot of trouble getting to the snow pit area. Here is where we made our big mistake, one that I have not made since.... We let him go back to the prior night's camp by himself to spend the night alone. We in the snow pit spent the night warm and dry. The next day we met up with Greg, and he told us of his ordeal. He had awakened deep into the night very cold and wet. He had left his candle burning inside a tin lantern, and the temp had risen to the point that the snow within the cave started melting. His body had also melted a shallow trough and had filled with water. He was shaking uncontrollably. He had started to loose feeling in his extremities. Hypothermia was setting in. He had the presence of mind to sit up to get out of the water, and as he did, he looked to the side and saw another man sitting there on the snow bed shelf. The man was covered in a blanket and had on a beat-up wide brimmed hat. Greg stared at him wondering what was going on... The man then turned his head towards him and as he did, a wisp of smoke escaped from under the blanket, around his neck. Greg turned away, and then turned back to look at him again, but the man was gone. He thought about it for a minute, then realized what he could do to stay warm. Slowly, he was able to find another candle that was still dry and got it lit. He placed in in the tin lantern, and then sat crossed legged around it, and wrapped the blanket around himsel;f as the man had done. He didn't go back to sleep, but he did warm up enough to stop the shaking. Whether it was his imagination or a visit from a frontiersman of old, it probably saved his life.

That being said, we decided then and there that we would NEVER let a companion be alone in adverse conditions again.

ALRA #106
Qui Transtulit Sustinet
(He who transplanted still sustains us)

Recovering FARB, Farbs Anonymous
Embrace the 12 step program :)
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
David A. Schmid
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that's a good one...
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Capt. Matheney

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Spookies, Ghosts, lost souls etc... Reply with quote

David A. Schmid wrote:
Anyone in their travels see any spookies at historical sites?

Greetings,

David...nope, I haven't "seen" any spookies. However, my old Rogers' Ranger detachment attended the Lake George Tactical in October of 1995. Beautiful country...the adirondacks. You definitely get a feel for just how "herculean" the original Rangers, Natives, French and others were who fought it out on that very same ground. The mountains seem to come right down to the lake shore! (I'd never trade that experience.)

We were encamped on Black Mountain one of those nights. Turns out that was a good name for it, (Black), because that particular night it was pitch black. At some point during the night...we were brought out of our bedrolls by the most hideous scream you can imagine. It was somewhere between an animal...and a woman in extreme distress. Naturally, we had our muskets in hand and began a search...all to no avail. It was sometime before we could go back to sleep...the adrenaline rush from the scream kept us awake for awhile. We talked it over...and compared notes, etc. That was a Tuesday night as I recall. (The Lake George Tactical, unless it has changed...goes for about a week.)

The following weekend we packed up and headed out. On our way home we stopped at a local pizza joint...and in the course of our time there shared our story about Tuesday night with our waitress. She had the owner come out and talk to us about the local legend of the "wandering warrior ghost"...said ghost is "forever looking for his lost scalp...screaming his disappointment into the night up and down Lake George."

Yep...I know..."wide eyed tourists" I suppose. We were however, rather pleased that we had survived our scout to Lake George...and were on our way home!

For what it's worth...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com