This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Got a problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxriver50

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Got a problem Reply with quote

Im new to the flintlock. I have a Davis lock on my fowler and can not get relyable ignition, the frizzen wont spark evry time even when I think the flint is sharp. I now use the good hand knaped English flints from TOTW.
I think its because Im using English flints in a French fowler, thats the only thing I can think of
Tsegoweleh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Flintlock Reply with quote

Oatsayo,
The English flints are good. Thats all I use. Davis lock is good. All I can think of is to make sure your Steel (Frizzen) is clean and free of any oil or powder residue.
Perhaps the way the flint is in the jaw of the cock is the trouble try turning it over and see if that works. My rifle likes the bevel up, but some like it down.
The flint must be sharp.

Now if you are getting sparks but no ignition thats another problem.
foxriver50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive tryed the flint up and down, so far it dosnt seem to mater.
Im wondering if it may be the way i knap. what side do you flak from.
I seem to always have the pan flash when the lock does spark, some times thats all I get, I just bored the flash hole from 1/16 to 5/32, I think that helps alot. Im thinken about puting in a liner but havnt worked up the curage yet.
longhunter49
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: flash Reply with quote

Just a couple basic suggestions.
1) Make sure the flint secured solidly in the jaws and is striking squarely and far enough up the steel to create good sparks.
2) Be sure the flint and steel are clean and oil free.
3) Check that the pan doesn't have too much powder and that it is aware from the touchhole. Make sure the touchhole is always clear.

I got most of my flints from Rich, here on the board and I think they are from Missouri.

Hope this helps.

" This situation calls for a subtle mix of psychology and extreme violence.."
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
captchee
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Im wondering if it may be the way i knap. what side do you flak from.

your flakes should be comming off the bottom. not mater if you have it blaced bevel up or down .
if you lock like to have the bevel up , then every so often you will need to flip the flint so as to keep the bevel up becouse as you Knap the flint , the bevel will start to grow on the bottom
J Branson
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your getting the pan flash then the lock is working,Might try to clean the vent after every shot. One thing I was shown when starting with flinters(centuries ago in a galaxy far far away)Was to tip the gun over a little, so the lock is kinda on the "down side" and tap the "up" side a couple of times to get the powder in the flash channel.Don't know if that really works or not but is something I do.............. You could also try putting primeing powder in the pan(LOL,sorry,I just had to add that VBG)

Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say the problem is that the frizzen doesn't spark every time, so that would have nothing to do with the size of the vent hole, or whether or not it has a liner. Contact the R E Davis company and tell them your problems. They can probably tell you how to fix them, or supply you with a new frizzen if necessary. They are very good people and willing to help. Meanwhile, look at the frizzen. If it is very smooth after many strikes of the flint, then the frizzen may be too hard. If the frizzen is developing a groove across it, then it may be too soft. R E Davis will want to know this. Depending on the type of metal they use, the fix may be as simple as putting the frizen in the oven at a specific temperature for an hour.
foxriver50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, there are two difrent things going on.
the frizzen doesnt spark relyably.
and if it does spark for each of ten pulls of the trigger the pan will flash but thats it.
Im just trying to fix (figure out what the heck Im doing) one thing at a time.
JohnN
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its the lock then Davis will fix it free I believe, just have to pay shipping. I always drill my touch hole liner 1 size bigger than they come.
D.S. Bradshaw
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does sound more like a geometry problem. Sometimes even the best locks get a bad cock installed. The angle of the cock in relation to how it strikes the frizzen is a crucial, but often overlooked aspect of ignition. Even when it sparks, sounds like the chips are not being thrown where they need to go. I'd say send it to Davis for inspection and if it needs fixed, they are a very reputuable business and will do whatever it takes. It would be worth the shipping to know for sure IMO. I'll also plug for Rich Pierce's Missouri white flints. AWESOME sparks!
Michael Archer
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How d' ye!

As already shared, there are a number fo variables that could be going on here.

I would add one...

Where is the touch-hole in relation to the center-top of the level of the pan? (For example, if it is too low, and the pan is being over-filled, the flash can be drawn away from the touch-hole and main powder charge.)

Remember, it is the flash that ignites, not a burning "trail" of priming powder.

All in all, such problems are often solved or remedied by eliminating the obvious, and scratching possibles/probables from the list simplest to most complex.

But I am still not clear on whether the flint and frizzen are producing a shower of sparks or not, or whether the gun is snapped ten times for every firing (and after two or three "cycles" the flint is dulled too much).

As shared, a shower of sparks each time, the priming charge going off each time, with no main charge ignition seems not to be a flint or frizzen issue but a touch-hole or priming problem.

Michael Archer

Fitzhugh Williams
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lock is what Davis calls a "French Lock", then the geometry of the cock to the firzzen is not particularly good. And the springs are too strong. And the whole lock need tuning by an experienced gunsmith. I have one of those locks and it is much modified.
foxriver50

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, the lock will spark, Just not evry time. seems the flint wears fast?
and when I knap the flint, Im good for about three or so rounds, then problems again.
now as far as I can tell, evry time the lock sparks, the pan will ignite.

now, I am new at flintlock, I and i do think that I have been putting to much pan powder in, but before I was having trouble with the pan igniting without the main charge going off.
I hope this is easyer to understand
thanks for the help guys
qcpidoc
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Fitzhugh, I've had two Davis locks that were not good sparkers, no matter what I did with the flint. I got a locksmith friend to tune them -- re-hardened the frizzens, changed the angle of the hammer, lightened some of the springs and generally tuned them. They're now great sparkers and don't eat up flints.
Tsegoweleh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Frizzen Reply with quote

Oatsayo,
What type of powder are you using?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com