This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Boiled Beef
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudyB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Boiled Beef Reply with quote

Under Trail Foods there is a posting about boiling beef in apple cider vinegar. I would like to try this. Does anyone know how much vinegar to add to the water? I doubt that the boiling would be done in straight vinegar because it would be inedible!
I have tried to contact the person who posted the info but have not had any success as of yet.
badWind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Med. Beef Roast - LEAN
Cider Vinegar
Black Pepper
Coarse Salt

1 T. Vinegar
1 T. Salt, crushed fine
1 T. Pepper, crushed fine
1 T. Cloves, crushed fine

For "Transportable Beef" to eat cold or Roast over the Fyre, Add spices to taste, cover w/ 50/50 mix of Vinegar and Water. cover tightly and boil till Done all the way thru, NO Pink should remain, Drain and allow to cool, Pat dry, Wipe Down w/ Vinegar and evenly coat w/Salt, pepper, cloves mixture. Allow to dry.
Wrap in clean dry cloth, If kept dry this Beef will Usually last for 3 -4 days without refridgeration..
David A. Schmid
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: BB Reply with quote

When I first wrote about Boiled beef in one of my OTT magazine articles..I estimated that it would last 3 to 4 days...

A friend sent some to a lab here in Michigan. Bacteria didn't start growing on the beef until 15 days later!

A Penicillin started growing after 9 or 10 days~ which is fine to eat.

the meat was tested after being in a vat at a medium high temp and humidity added. I am gathering the details shortly from the lab.

The lab tech did recommend that if you use more vinegar it does last longer.. I place the meat in the kettle and cover it with Vinegar, add water to top it off.

any more questions send me a pm.

I cut round steak in to 3"x 3" chunks so the vinegar gets in easier.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
David A. Schmid
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: BB Reply with quote

Also....I do not guarantee that it will last 12 to 15 days...weather conditions and how you handle the meat will change the shelf life.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tom Black
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use half water, half vinegar and a bunch of crushed garlic. It never lasts long enough to go bad.
Tom Black
Cantucky
ccasada

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: boiled Beef Reply with quote

Ahoy!

I have used David's recipie and it has always served me well. I find that more vinegar adds more "tang" to the taste.

Chuck
Steve G
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use straight cider vinegar, no water. Really tangy and great at the events I've taken it to.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
badWind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trick is to use LEAN i.e. NO fat beef, the fat will go funky in 3+ days, but not the MEAT
Bill Evelyn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Boiled Beef Reply with quote

I agree with all that's been posted here, and have eaten this stuff for several years. The only difference for me is I put very little cider vinegar in it as the taste is too strong for me; I make sure I eat it in a day or two; I only prepare it for colder weather trips and not for Georgia summer forays. I am pleased to hear about Dave Schmidt's lab tests.

Eat it cold or sear it over the fire to crisp the edges.
Seminoli
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Boiled Beef Reply with quote

On a my first trekking trip in Florida my good freind introduced me to boiled beef. We pulled some off (he made it from a rather large roast) and cooked it with our grits for dinner and breakfast and it was delisious. It was nice to have non-jerked meat to eat.
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
badWind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beef keeps ya going longer than rum....
raymond the younger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may have to try to make some of that this summer it sounds good to me.
badWind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a late improvement, when you wipe it down w/ MORE vinegar, use MALT vinegar.. really tasty...
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com