This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Mosquito Repellent
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Mosquito Repellent Reply with quote

I'm curious what sort of insect/mosquito repellent methods have been successful for you historical trekkers out there. Any suggestions on a good way to keep the bugs away? So far I've heard of the following:

Tobacco: Either smoke a pipe, or chew tobacco and rub your saliva on exposed skin.

Garlic: I guess if you eat enough it might ward off bugs. Or are you supposed to apply garlic juice to your skin or clothes?

Lemon Grass: Citronella comes from this so I guess rubbing the grass on your skin or maybe using essential oil would work.

Vinegar: It was suggested that consuming 3 tbsp a day will repel mosquitos.

Animal Fat: Seems like I've read that natives used to cover exposed skin with animal grease to ward off bugs. I don't see how this would work as it seems like it would achieve the opposite effect!

Any thoughts on the above methods, or new ideas? Thanks!

BRONZE
http://manandmule.com
KarlK
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Bugs Reply with quote

I covered numerous things in my old OTT article but I mostly rely on two items:
Smoke and cottonballs/cloth

Smoke,
Yes, I'll sit in it, have it cover me, smudge when possible, be as smoky as possible, anything to mask what your body emits, dirt and grease and dried sweat helps this way too.

Forget, grasses, citronella etc...and forget any secret plant from the woods

Cottonballs or cloth stuffed in my ears is the BEST preventative.....99.9% of the time it is not the biting but the insistant buzzing that drives ya nuts.

Go out expecting to get bit, bugs.... it's one reason I stay out of the woods as much as possible in July and August

KK
Frenchie
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take garlic tablets and vitamin B1 about 2 months before I go to BSA Summer camp. This seems to help with the the bugs. At night I spray on Burt's Bees All Natural Herbal Insect Repellent, before I go to bed. This , also seems to help. The Bert's Bees cost about $10.00 / 4oz pump spray bottle. I continue to take the garlic and B1 while I am still out and all summer long. I know that these things are not PC but sure seems to cut down on the bug bites
________
Ipad Accessories

Last edited by Frenchie on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Traildog
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can take it eat a1/2 cake of yeast. It will come out through your skin and bugs don't like it.
DELETED

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Jacques
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke helps some for me, but I have noticed that some people get bitten a lot more than others. I have read, but am not sure I believe, that it has something to do with blood type. All I know for sure is that I get bitten a lot more than most people no matter what I do. I also swell up from the bites until I look like Frankenstein's ugly brother.
AxelP
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be a flavor ticks love... my buddys say that when I tromp the woods, they hear thousands of little tick voices crying "jump fellas, here come the mother ship!!
Axe
Preach
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT period correct, but I have found the best for me is "Permanone" it's main ingredient is permethrin.

You spray it on your clothes, then let them dry. After that you can't smell it, and it lasts up to two weeks. So far (10 years or so I have been using it) it has not damaged any fabrics I have used it on. I have been in camps where other folks were constantly picking ticks off, and I had nary a bite.

(Sure it's not PC, but Lyme or RMSF are no fun).

IT is not available in all States, but it is here in Indiana.

Sold at the local wal-mart hereabouts.

Turning Bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Good Point Preach Reply with quote

Preach you make a good point, Lyme Disease, West Nile and the Eastern Equine Encephalitis are all being spread from ticks and skeeters. maybe the best thin is to make a little home-spun or buckskin bag to cover the Ben's 100.
Frenchie
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For knats,(sp) and flies you can use vanilla, it can be immitation,(sp), this masks, I believe the salt that comes out of your sweat. I would recommend taking packets of Emergency C with you. It is a powder form, that will give vitamins and put elcetrolytes,(sp), back into your body, just pour it into some water and drink it.

Erick
________
ROOR BONG

Last edited by Frenchie on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Susan
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pennyroyal works. This is an easy herb to put in your garden. When outside just get a few leaves/stems and lightly rub on exposed skin. Mosquitoes stay away. Don't know how this would work on a trek of several days. You could carry extra with you, but may not work as well when it dries out.

J.D.
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had mixed, and usually not so good results with most repellents, including pennyroyal. For ticks and chiggers, Permanone is the one and only near 100% sure way to prevent bites. For mosquitoes, a fabric softener sheet placed near my head seems to keep 'em off, at night.

God bless,
J.D.
Drake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Repellant Reply with quote

One of the things I have used overseas in the Horn of Africa as well as the Middle East for the incessant flies is eating a clove (not a bulb) of garlic a day. It works. That being said, in the U.S. you have to worry about encephalitis from mosquitoes and lyme disease. Carry the bugspray in a linen bag. I draw the authenticity line at contracting smallpox too (most people of the 18th c were pock marked).

Yours aye,

Edw. Drayke
Black Hand
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yarrow fronds, crushed and rubbed on the skin seems to work around here. Great for soothing the bites you already have.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
jmckenzie
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear grease, which i mix with my pigment for paint works great. the natives used in then to keep away bugs, and it works today too. (it also works on militia reenactors as well, haha)

the only problem is that bear grease is kinda hard to come by. you cant buy it, so you have to get a dead bear and render it down.

it also helps to shower with unscented soap. this is hard to do on treks and at most events. this will remove the oils and pheromones your body produces. The blood type theory may have some truth to it, but it is more likely what pheromones your genes are telling your system to produce.

i can live with having bug spray at events, since i also have to have sun screen otherwise i dont have to apply any red paint on the second day of a event.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." - John Adams (1735 - 1826)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com