This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
hunting pouch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
white hawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: hunting pouch Reply with quote

Anyone have any pictures of what a creek warriors hunting pouch would look like in the F&I time period ?? also should I be wearing "pucker toe" mocs or just plain center seams ?

White Hawk
captchee
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could be wrong but i would think puckerd center seams
Doug Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: moccasins Reply with quote

The common, everyday moccasin of the Creeks was a plain centerseam that was sewn up using a thong. The puckers were rather heavy. These are easy to make. Moccasins that were to be beaded down the front had to be smooth, with very fine puckers, so the beads would lie right. For that purpose, either sinew or linen thread was used. Start with the common, everyday moccasin. As for hunting pouches, there are very few pictures and usually you can't get a good view of the pouch. Adair mentions hunting pouches of otter skin in use by the southern tribes. He also mentions woven bags made by the Choctaws. He provides no detailed information on how they were constructed, but presumably they were twined. The curious thing, though, is that he mentions these bags for the Choctaws, and doesn't mention them among the other tribes, but they were almost certainly widely distributed. A number of bags of this type have survived from the 19th century.
captchee
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug , would you have any photos of these otter sking shooting pouches .
i have seen a couple that have been labeled and described as such but they appear to be muskrat not otter
These are also smaller full tube hide bags .
More information would be helpful if you could
white hawk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: hunting pouch Reply with quote

Someone else told me about the otter skin bag but i have not been able to find the reference mat'l to back it up. So I'm making a quilled flat bag. I have center seam mocs,side flap leggings a checkered trade shirt. I really just need to settle on a type of belt and my "basic" kit will be done. Then just add some fancies and I'll be set. I still need a nose ring of some sort and a pair of armbands.
Unega Watodi
White Hawk
Susan
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Hawk, sounds like you are getting you kit together. What is the doc for the quilled bag? Sure, some quills would have been traded in, but not indigenous to your area.
Once you're outfitted, where do you plan to play? (events, sites).

Doug Rodgers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: hunting pouch, otter Reply with quote

Captchee, I don't have a picture of the otter shooting pouch from the 18th century. They are mentioned in Adair, but I have never seen a picture of one that one could determined to be otter. So, that raises the question about exactly what form they took. There is a Catlin sketch of Osceola (1830s) wearing a fur bag; the type of skin is unknown for that particular picture. As I remember it, it was a simple rectangular bag with a triangular flap and it had a fringe of fur along the bottom. It may have had fur fringe on the sides, but I don't remember it that way. The strap also was fur and it was fairly narrow, maybe an inch to an inch and a half (just a guess as to width). A bag like this could be easily constructed of otter or beaver fur by cutting the back and the flap in one piece, the front (under the flap) in one piece, and the fur fringe in a separate piece. Then, insert the fringe into the bottom and sew up the three pieces together. Then sew up the sides and put on the strap. Cut the fringe from the skin side with a super sharp knife. I would make the cuts about a half inch apart. If made of otter I would line it; if made of beaver it would not be necessary to line it, but it could be lined. I made my own otter skin bag slighly differently from what I have described. I made the front, back, and triangular flap all of one piece, with the tail of the otter serving as the triangular flap. I cut it so the hips of the otter would fold down slightly over the top, about two inches, and then the rest of the flap would be the tail. This meant that there would be no fringe on the bottom and the only sewing would be on the sides. Then, I lined the bag with linen. Then, I took a completely different otter, and split it lengthwise from the tip of the tail to the head of the otter. This gave me two long strips. I measured carefully to get the length that I wanted the finished strap to be, and then cut the two strips to the proper length (cutting at the head end of the otter, not the tail end) and sewed the two strips together at the head end. Then, I had one long strip for the strap, each end ending in a point. I lined the strap with linen. Then, I sewed on the strap at the upper corners of the bag with a patch of buckskin reinforcement on the inside of the bag and another on the skin side of the strap, allowing the tail of the strap on both sides of the bag to hang down beside the bag, in length slightly below the bottom of the bag. An otter bag made of a high quality otter fur will be quite pretty. My otter was only so-so in quality, but it still made a pretty nice bag.
Hawkeye
User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: hunting pouch Reply with quote

white hawk wrote:
Someone else told me about the otter skin bag but i have not been able to find the reference mat'l to back it up. So I'm making a quilled flat bag. I have center seam mocs,side flap leggings a checkered trade shirt. I really just need to settle on a type of belt and my "basic" kit will be done. Then just add some fancies and I'll be set. I still need a nose ring of some sort and a pair of armbands.
Unega Watodi
White Hawk

Look for medicne bags and such.
The skin of the otter was not used for much more nor for mundane uses. This is due to the power represented as the otter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com