This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Any re-enactors for Apache or Navajo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dboonekiltabar
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Any re-enactors for Apache or Navajo? Reply with quote

I live in the southwest,,have never come across anyone depicting Apache or Navaho. Anyone out there doing that?

Barefoot

BearCreek Ben

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Southwest indians Reply with quote

I recently had to travel to Phoenix for work and I gave some thought to what impression I would do if I lived there. You have a very rich history of native america in the Southwest, whether it is "prehistoric" indians like the anasazi or hohokam, or from the period of the fur trade. I have always felt that you should try to portray an impression from where you currently live. It seems your physical area would greatly enhance your trekking experience. It would be hard to live in the northeast and portray an apache from the desert.
Try the books by Tom Brown Jr for info on tracking and natural skills. Tom was taught by an apache elder when he grew up. The southwest is truly magical and enchanting, I've been bitten by the bug. For now I have to settle for prowling the woods and hills in southern missouri, tough work, but you have to do what you can do!
dboonekiltabar
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: I'll take that as a NO Reply with quote

I guess there aren't any Southwestern Native re-enactors,,,

This has been up quite a while without a nibble,

Barefoot

Fiddlercrab

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Apache Language Reply with quote

Mike here, I have a place Im eventually retiring to in West Texas..on the NEastern border of I believe what was once the Chuiracaua Apache homeland...I do think I would ever consider reenacting as an Apache but I would like to learn and the skills that an Apache would need to live in that country...I am also learning the Apache language(s) as opportunities present. Its a very interesting language...Mike
michaelblackfeather
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Karankawa Reply with quote

I am currently researching the Karankawa [ ClamcoŽhs, and called in their language Auia ] for living history in Texas, primarily the tribe's battle with Lafitte in Galveston (c. 1819) and subsequent fighting / raiding with Texas settlers (1800 - 1858) until the tribe's dissapearance ( some author's have termed it "extermination") in Mexico.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone in Texas or the Gulf Coast, specifically Texas Rev War types who are interested.

Regards,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com