This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Scrimshaw
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seesbirds
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Scrimshaw Reply with quote

I've been studying with a world class scrimshander and he's taught me a few things.

Take a look at my website www.shinintimespowderhorns to see some of my work.

I'm working on a horn now for a client and I've found that for some applications a combination of lines and dots gives me the best result. I'll post the photos there when I'm finished. (probably in March.)
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lmaomao

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Einstein of the fish world may be the nine-spined stickleback, suggests new research that determined this common European fish possesses an unusually sophisticated capacity for learning not yet documented in any other animal, aside from humans.
The unassuming, small-headed fish proves tiny brains can yield "surprising cognitive abilities," according to project leader Jeremy Kendal, whose team discovered the stickleback can compare the behavior of other fish with its own experiences in order to make better choices.
This learning method, known as "hill-climbing," is necessary for cumulative culture and was thought to be unique to humans.
archlord power leveling
"Cases such as nut-cracking in chimpanzees, or tool use in New Caledonian crows, are potentially consistent with such a strategy, but the strategy has yet to be shown unambiguously (in these other animals)," Kendal, a Durham University anthropologist, told Discovery News.
For the study, published in the journal Behavioral Ecology, he and his colleagues caught 270 nine-spined sticklebacks in Leicester, England. The fish were organized into experimental groups. These fish groups then took turns as either free swimmers in a tank with worm-yielding feeders at the end, or as "learners" in a transparent, partitioned-off area of the specially designed tank.
aoc power leveling
One of the two feeders released more worms than the other. The fish quickly gravitated to this "rich feeder." When these fish then went into the observation semi-circle portion of the tank, the researchers swapped the feeders. The new free swimmers, as before, made a beeline for the feeder with a more plentiful worm reward.
When the observation fish group was released back into the part of the tank with the feeders, 75 percent were "clever" enough to know from watching the other sticklebacks that the feeders had been switched, so they didn't just rely upon their own experience with the feeders.
archlord gold
Additional research conducted by the same team of scientists found that the likelihood of copying the behavior of another increased with the rate at which this other individual fed. The fish aren't therefore just mindlessly copying each other. They are instead "being selective about when and who they copy."
buy archlord gold
Kendal thinks the nine-spined stickleback might have been "forced to learn" this rather complex strategy because the species is scrawnier than many other fish, with an anatomy that doesn't offer significant protection from predators. Instead of risking being eaten while searching for food, it benefits the fish to find out exactly where the best sources are at ahead of time and to go directly to them.
archlord money
Health Top Tips Nutrition Love Lifestyle Happiness Weight Loss
"It is possible that, rather than evolve to become more sturdy, it is less costly for the nine-spines to evolve the capacity to exploit foraging information provided by observing others," he explained, mentioning that tougher three-spined sticklebacks don't seem to have such a brainy solution to foraging challenges.
Culum Brown, a University of Edinburgh researcher and editor of the book "Fish Cognition and Behavior," told Discovery News, the study "shows that fishes are using a mixture of their own knowledge and weighing it up against cultural information."
"In many ways," Brown said, "fish are just as smart as other animals."
While fish seem to exhibit frequent flashes of mental brilliance, the stickleback's hill-climbing strategy has yet to result in more human-like, high-tech capabilities, probably because fish habitats are so unstable.
"A massive constraint for the fish is that the environment can change rapidly, so information about a good foraging site can become redundant after a short time," Kendal said. "This resets the cumulative process and the fish have to start again acquiring new information."
"This means we might not expect any spectacular cumulative cultural evolution like seen in humans," he said, "but watch this space. We know so little and are constantly surprised about what they can do!"
red squirrel
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wont repeat whats above, the only thing different is I use a couple needle files to scribe. The tips on several are a very fine point and it helps me cut back on slips. I can scrape a very shallow line and rescrape deeper with more passes. More control for me. Needle file sets are cheap.
seesbirds
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: scrimshaw Reply with quote

I looked at this topic again today and since I am almost finished with a project thought I'd post a photo or two of what I'm doing these days. I know some of you aren't going to like it since it is decidedly contemporary.

Regards

Mark Preston
www.shinintimespowderhorns.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bushytail
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seesbirds,That`s some nice art work.You got some talent there buddy.I bought a powder horn and a primer horn,and thought about trying some scrimshaw work on them.The info on here is alot of help.If mine comes out half as nice as yours,I`ll be happy.
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a pin vise also. I feel it gives me a better grip and the option of applying different points in them.

kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use CoulterPercision scrimshaw tips. I also use a exacto knife, and needles for fine work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Skills and Crafts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com