This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Sour Stomach Cure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Sour Stomach Cure Reply with quote

When attending an event I came down with a stomach bug. I was so sick I could hardly stand. I was sitting at a table when a visitor to the camp came up to me and notice I was sick. When I told her what the problem was, she gave me a tablet made from Papaya. She instructed me to take one every hour for four hours. By the end of the four hours I felt great and finished the weekend with no more problems. Along with Papaya pills I also carry Crystallized Ginger. Both are great to stop a sour stomach and the ginger can be used to spice up your meals.

Colonel Tubbs
skunkkiller
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: sour stomach Reply with quote

were did you get more tablets of this papaya and what is it?

Hiparoo
User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papaya is a fruit..and you can usually find the tabs in "the hippie health food store"...though I have found them at Walgreens too...

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the papaya were called "Papaya Enzyme" tablets. I have picked mine up in a Walgreen. pharmacy.
The ginger can be found in any large grocery store with a health food section. They are usually in the bulk food section along with nuts, candy, etc.

Colonel Tubbs
Rita aka Kiziah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papaya fruit contains a natural enzyme which aids in digestion. It provides a fast relief for heartburn and other digestive problems than Prevacid or Prilosec. It's always been part of my travel gear, except when I went to Hawaii. There, I ate papaya every day and had no problems. Today, papaya tablets can be found in most major drug stores or health food stores. I certainly wouldn't call them "the hippie health food stores", as even many medical doctors can now agree to the benefits of herbs and foods over drugs.
A word of caution...do keep papaya tablets away from kids. Mine used to like to eat them like candy. No adverse effects, but some pricey "candy".
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Rita, Hope you been doing fine.
My neighbor has several papaya trees in his yard and I borrow a fruit from him once in a while. Not too bad tasting.

Colonel Tubbs
dawnzky05

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For stomachache, medicine is reliable for its rapid effect. However, if you don't have one for the moment papaya or fruit juice is recommended. It will neutralize acids in your tummy making the pain less injurious.

---------------------------------------------------------------
cure for tummy aches
Newburghboy
User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Also cumin works and strong mint tea... Reply with quote

Also cumin works for a bad digestive situation, and if you are inclined, some strong mint tea will also work. Possibly chewing mint leaves might work as well, seems like a quicker way to get the essential oils. Once I had some bad fish and I will tell you I wanted to die and couldnt...a friend made me some very weak beef broth with alot of cumin and I felt restored..I had that for three days till I recovered...also you know activated charcoal? Its that black rock they put in fish tank filters..pulverize that stuff into dust ..put it in a capsule and that will do the trick...or in the field actually a little carbonized wood...it absorbs many times its weight in poisins...US Army special forces are trained in that particular technqiue..I suppose in the wilderness a fella could take some charcoal drop a little candle wax over it to make a pill and swallow it...some improvised 18th. century type wilderness medicine for ya..Mike
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good information.

GreyWolf
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wirh all due respect to the others advice - yes there are some very good "natural" products that can aid in digestive problems, and I used most of them when I started having problems some 35 years ago, but such problems can grow in intensity and cause other more serious issues such as GERD - if you have digestion problems such as acid reflux/heartburn more than 3 times a week (and that's stretching it) IMO seek medical aid - FWIW I am not a fan of general medicine per se, so I ignored the warnings and wound up having to have my esophagus stretched surgically 9 times (not a fun thing). The uncontrolled reflux caused major irritation in my esophagus and it swelled it to the point I couldn't swallow anything larger than 5 millimeters - the esophagus when normal will allow anything up to about 40-50 millimeters. Over time it developed into Barrett's Syndrome which is a pre-cancerous state.
It's not something to ignore (as I had), since esophageal cancer is just one of the major problems that can occur. And let me tell you cancer its not something you want to deal with - yes there are alternatives that may or may not (just as some conventional medical therapies may not), but as one who has just recently been diagnosed with lymphatic cancer, research the problem - for me a mix of conventional and holistic health methods (which I attempted first but only wound with only marginal success) are working...
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Papaya pills and they worked well for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com