This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Is This Fabric Pattern Acceptable
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbullard1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Is This Fabric Pattern Acceptable Reply with quote

for a shirt from the early 1800's - 1840
I need a shirt for my first rondy its not a strict event but I want to be close
100% cotton dark green with an off white background

Swanny
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your persona, it should be fine for your time frame.

Swanny

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
jbullard1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swanny wrote:
Depending on your persona,.......................

Swanny

That's my problem I'm new to this and just havent got one figured out yet
I guess I'm a work in progress
Lady of the Woods
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Is this fabric acceptable Reply with quote

sorry can't say 100%. I've heard bigger patterns are preferable, but I will say, as one suffering from multiple personalities, it looks good to me for your timeframe.
Zan :)
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Swanny
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, we tend to cut a slack for newcomers to the hobby, especially in the discipline of historical rendezvous. Rendezvous are a good place to start. With usually relaxed rules of authenticity you can get your feet wet and have fun while figuring out what you want to be when you "grow up".

For now, do what you need to do to get into the game. Then you'll have time to "learn the rules" (most of which are unwritten, arbitrary and capricious).

Warning - This avocation is seriously fun and highly addictive. If you aren't careful pretty soon you'll be spending most your money on your living history hobby. All the rest will just be wasted on the mortgage, car payment, utilities, groceries, &c.

Swanny

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
jbullard1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zan
Swanny right now all my free money goes toward building such worthless trifles as these

And These

Sieur Phillipe Chenier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are unsure what time frame and personna then perhaps you should consider defaulting to a plain white or off white shirt made from a slubby weave cotton, linen or hemp. It may be safer in the long run and a white shirt has much more latitude.
Just my suggestions, as you can build many different personas and time frames around a more plain shirt.
Ed...Maurer....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fabric's fine for your time frame, regardless of persona. Go for it--you're off to a good start! Go Greenhorn--GO!
ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a white or off white linen or cotton, but do as you wish, it's your money! In doing 2 centurys worth of research I can't say I have seen shirt made of anything like that? You asked.
Black Hand
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple check in red, blue, or black (maybe green) would be a better choice if you are going to use a patterned material. Barring that. I concur that a white/off white shirt would be the best over-all choice.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
jbullard1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have added I have already bought this fabric for a shirt
I know it isn't period correct. I will be attending my first rondy in October and would like to have clothing that is acceptable (not necessarily correct)
The group putting it own seems to be fairly lenient on newbies
halfmoonranger
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fabric is just fine for what you need. No one at a redevous should be hard on the new folks. It's very discouraging for a newcomer. Let's face it you are not doing an historical site for a specific time period. I say go ahead and make the shirt from this material, especially if you have already aquired the material. In the future, (maybe a while from now) you may wish for your equipment to be more time specific and absolutely correct. When that day comes then you can do more research. Until then, enjoy your new shirt.

Be aware that you will meet many folks along your path with many interests and opinions on rendevous, re-enacting, or acting in general. Some folks may be more critical of their equipment & clothing (I'm one of these folks) and will be able to give advice to you about time specific materials for future projects. Don't be discouraged is the best advice I can give to a newbie.
edwardamason

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Fabric Pattern Acceptable Reply with quote

jbullard1 wrote:

Is this anything like "does this make my arse look fat"?

I generally try to avoid those questions.:):):)
Steve Stanley
User

Location: Somewhere between 21st century England & 18th century Acadia...........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Fabric Pattern Acceptable Reply with quote

edwardamason wrote:
jbullard1 wrote:

I guess it's the Re-enactor's equvalent.....
Steve
jbullard1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Fabric Pattern Acceptable Reply with quote

edwardamason wrote:
jbullard1 wrote:

The fabric doesn't make it look fat
The Fat does
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com