This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Water Purification
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KHickam
User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Water Purification Reply with quote

What does everyone do for treating drinking water on treks? I have seen some of the filters and they look like they would be fine but they run about $50-100 each. I have found water purification tablets that would get just about all the bad stuff - and we used them in the military. What are your experiences?

Keith
Pathfinder

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith,

I'd suggest going with a filter......safer and taste better! There are filter drinking bottles that are on the market that will cost around $20, that will remove 99.98% of heavy metals as well as parasites and other nasty microbes. They may be a bit bulking but better than getting really really sick!

Pathfinder
Black Hand
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filter! The tablets won't remove particulates or other toxins/chemicals. And they are well worth the cost and weight for the peace of mind they provide.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Nick Barber
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually boil the water rather than carring a filter. Most of the areas I go through don't have too much of a chemical contamination thing so boiling works well. Sometimes it can be a bit of a drag to boil up water for drinking especially when the temps are in the 90s but it works and I don't have to tote a filter along.
That being said there are a couple of places I have been where fires are not allowed, in those cases I pack a small filter. The cost of the filter far outwieghs the misery that one can experience from a bought of "Beaver Fever" (Giardia).

Nick Barber
User

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually boil the water rather than carring a filter. Most of the areas I go through don't have too much of a chemical contamination thing so boiling works well. Sometimes it can be a bit of a drag to boil up water for drinking especially when the temps are in the 90s but it works and I don't have to tote a filter along.
That being said there are a couple of places I have been where fires are not allowed, in those cases I pack a small filter. The cost of the filter far outwieghs the misery that one can experience from a bought of "Beaver Fever" (Giardia).

Kmolett
User

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Filters Reply with quote

I have used tablets, boiling and filters. I have gotten the "Rocky Mtn Quickstep" with all of them. My advice would be to go with the best filter you can afford. You get what you pay for. I used a filter a few years back down in a clear flowing stream that was 40 miles from civilization and later the entire group almost at the same time made a mad dash for a place to use the bathroom. Needless to say I don't have a filter made by that company any longer. Do your research and know a filter is one thing to spend a little extra on.
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleach ( un-scented ) can be used. 2 to 3 drops per quart, 8 to 16 drops per gallon. After putting the drops in shake it around and wait 15 minutes.

Bleach is chlorine. Chlorine is used in city drinking water and swimming pools. A few drops isn't going to hurt you. Of course the taste might be a little off, but iodine tablets give off a taste also.

Filters and micro filters are good but they do take some time to run a quart of water through them. Boiling your water is best if you have the time and not on the move.

Always use water from a running stream or river, never use lake or pond water.

I've used all four methods in Colorado while hunting elk.

Last edited by kopfjaeger on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
AxelP
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always carry a few ways to treat water. I carry my pump, but I also carry iodine tabs and I have a means to boil… I hate being thirsty.

K

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: drinking water Reply with quote

Along with others, I boil my water but then I am usually making tea or chocolate.
I soon will carry a purification straw. I will simply fill my cup, put the straw in and drink. You have to be sure to blow back into the straw in order to back flush it. I purchased it at Bass Pro shop near my office. It was not very expensive.

Shawnee Mike
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also used and carry a filter straw in my shooting bag. One of the few modern things i carry. A larger pump for camp water.
The straw works really well and i have drank water from stagnant holes with no ill effect.
I use a coffee filter rubber banded over the end to keep out the larger junk

Stophel
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of the LifeStraws, which is about $20-25, and gets universal rave reviews for getting ALL little critters out. I have yet to even get it out of the wrapper. I have an "old" PUR pump filter (which generally goes by a different brand name now, though I don't recall which) that is still considered effective. I think I've used it only once. It was not fast, but worked. If I were setting up a camp where I would be for a while, or with other folks, I think I'd get one of the gravity filters where you hang up a "hopper" on a tree or something and fill it up, and let gravity do the work of running it through a filter.

I don't get out much (at all) anymore. Nowhere to go! Something I will eventually rectify... if it's the last thing I do. Having to drive several hours to get to a National Forest kinda knocks out those weekend walks in the woods.

"Most people are birds in gilded cages. They are fed every day, their newspaper is changed, and they can see the television from their perch. They cannot fathom why those stupid wild birds outside the window, alone against the elements, fending for themselves, would not want to be safe and secure inside a nice comfortable cage just like them." - Me
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tired a filter straw. I'm going to have to put one on my list to buy.

Hessian
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a MSR filter in a small black silk bag in the bottom of my haversack along with my medications, first aid kit & other necessary but "modern" stuff.
Hessian
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a filter straw. Used it a couple times when on a small trek. So far so good haven't got sick yet.

bob miller
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This area is known as the "Land of Lakes" many of them spring fed. A lot of the homes and cottages draw their water directly from our lake. If I'm canoeing, I will get away from shore a ways, and just have a dipper's worth to drink. Otherwise I boil it, cause usually making tea or coffee. Or cooking beans, rice etc. When moose hunting further north we drink the lake water...so far , no problems. I guess we're lucky to still have good water.
Kind of take it for granted, which we shouldn't do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com