This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Tent Stakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmith
User

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Tent Stakes Reply with quote

Just curious as to what everyone is using for tent stakes. At the Ft Lupton Colorado Time line event last weekend, it was very windy and all available stakes were needed. Thankfully it had rained a few nights before, because the ground was easy to pound into....until you got about 6 inches in. then is was as hard as concrete. I bent several steel stakes, and broke many wood ones.
I have been gradually replacing most of my steel stakes with period correct patterned wood ones, and use the wood ones when I can due to soil conditions etc. Some are made of dimensional lumber, others are just cut sticks, sharpened on one end.
Just curious

ALRA #106
Qui Transtulit Sustinet
(He who transplanted still sustains us)

Recovering FARB, Farbs Anonymous
Embrace the 12 step program :)
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
George H. Russell

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use either 18" or 24" steel stakes on my two marquees. On my wedge tent, I use 18" steel stakes on the corners and 12" steel stakes every where else.

I have had my 18 x 18 marquee go down on me twice. Both times at night during a storm. I have since gone to 24 inch steel stakes thatt have a triangle shaped plate welded on them. I use them on the corner ropes. All ropes are anchored with 24 inch stakes.
wsmith
User

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use longer steel stake on the guy ropes of my marquis when we set it up. I like however to use smaller wood ones around the bottom and for the other ropes as well as for my wedges and other canvas. When doing a time line event, or other events where accuracy is important, the wood ones make a great addition. The problem, is that you go through several each season. Wood also seems to grip the soil when steel ones want to come out.

ALRA #106
Qui Transtulit Sustinet

Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lloyd Moler
User

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendell
I use all wood stakes. I need to make about a dozen to replace the ones that I broke the last few years (I tend to break the area above the notch off hitting them with the hammer). My tie down ropes (4) I use 18 inch oak stakes. All of the rest are the size of the one's in Mark Tully's book.

If in hard soil, I have a 2 foot long, 1 1/2 inch round stake with a long taper that I use to punch a starter hole for my wood stakes. I have never had my tent blow down (had my fly blow down once(you saw it).

Lloyd Moler
KarlK
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Stakes Reply with quote

I use wood stakes fashioned out of wood from the nearest woodpile or woods. I just split off a chunk and hwack it to a point, maybe 15 seconds a stake. Now, I try to save them and toss them in a box with ropes but it always seems if I use let's say 10 stakes one event, the next event I'll need 15 and need 5 more. Or, I'll break 5 or 6 pulling them out so I am short next time. Or If I have 12 stakes and use only 8 that weekend, the others get burned.
I set up my canvas as a lean-to, or a wedge or whatever, different everytime. so how many stakes are needed really varies. I have been fortunate enough sometimes to tie off on living trees and need only a couple stakes if that.
Karl
wsmith
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that Lloyd. I have thought about using a "starter" as well. I have a large stake similar to what you describe.

Karl, I have also done the same, and try to save as many as I can. Some are nice cut stakes. I met Gene "Henri" Tesdahl last weekend. Nice guy. He was also using wood stakes during the windy setup. He borrowed a piece of extra wood I had. We were "neighbors" for the weekend.

I have seen many different kind of stakes used over the years, from pieces of discarded potatoe digger rods to rebar. I think that our ancestors used more wood than what we normally see at larger events. Any thoughts?

ALRA #106
Qui Transtulit Sustinet

Isaac
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsmith wrote:
I met Gene "Henri" Tesdahl last weekend. Nice guy. He was also using wood stakes during the windy setup. He borrowed a piece of extra wood I had. We were "neighbors" for the weekend.

Ahh... you met my brother.

wsmith
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't most of us brothers, if only in the hobby? His baby daughter is sure cute :)

Gene, my son Daivd and I fought the wind for several hours. David an I set up 4 wedges, a shelter, and a short walled wall tent. Gene set up his large tarp shelter. Gene had to use auxilliary roles over the shelter to hold the canvas down. and it was only about 2 feet high. Very low to the ground to minimize the wind effect. Too much fun!

ALRA #106
Qui Transtulit Sustinet

wsmith
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd,

On your larger oak stakes, are they to a specific pattern, such as the larger one in Tulley's book? Most of mine are like the smaller ones illustrated.

ALRA #106
Qui Transtulit Sustinet

norseguy
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gene, my son Daivd and I fought the wind for several hours. David an I set up 4 wedges, a shelter, and a short walled wall tent. Gene set up his large tarp shelter. Gene had to use auxilliary roles over the shelter to hold the canvas down. and it was only about 2 feet high. Very low to the ground to minimize the wind effect. Too much fun!

I am sorry I missed it! (he says, not wholly in jest...)

I was packed, ready to go...but by the time I could leave, last Friday at just about this time...suddenly the rain became snow, and a lot of it!

The roads were slick as whale snot, the wind came up, and WY-DOT closed I-25 down near Wheatland...

If I were on my back to catch a plane to Spring Break in Cancun...I might have chanced it!
<G>
But it must be my advancing age...my better judgement took over, and I thought---Aren't you going to feel silly if you get hit by 'some Other bozo' sliding from lane to lane...wrecking the car and ending up like an old stove-up rodeo cowboy...

Anyway...I did MISS it! Dagnabit!

I hope one of you guys who 'survived' it can post some photos !?!?

Thanks,

Norseguy in Wyoming
kent klein
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Stakes Reply with quote

Hay Wendell: Stopped @ a War surplus store in Twin Falls, Idaho (exit 113) and found a whole bunch of military surplus wood stakes of different sizes, etc.. in new condition. For my fly I took the 9" wood stakes and put them , one at a time, into a 2" X 16" piece of ABS pipe with a cap glued on one end. Then I filled it with clear polyuethane liquid until the stake was completely covered. After sitting overnite I took out the stake and set it in the sun to dry and put another one in. These stakes absorb that stuff and when cured, drive in like nails. Anyways works for me. Kent Klein/Utah
Lloyd Moler
User

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendell,
My longer stakes are just like the short one's, except, they are scaled up a bit.

I made them using 3/4 inch oak boards. I have found a source for full 4/4 oak in Spokane, and I will probably use that for the new one's.

I am also planning on making a wooden mallet to drive them. I think that will stop a lot of the splitting.

Lloyd Moler
WayneK

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: tent stakes Reply with quote

Like Karl, I just use whatever is at hand in terms of wood: chop 'em, wack 'em, pound 'em, save 'em. Most of the "keepers" are ironwood. Cheap, effective, and definitely period correct.

I just use some hemp cord tied to the corners of my canvas (I finally got around to sewing some grommets to eliminate using a rock rolled in the corner) and tied off to the stake. Set up as a wedge, lean-to, whatever shelter I need.

Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com