This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
parched corn or rice container

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skunkkiller
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: parched corn or rice container Reply with quote

what do you guy and gals use for cantainers for pached corn or rice? any reply would be nice.thank skunkkiller
ThomasR.
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunkkiller,

I use various sizes of linen sacks. These I wash a couple of times in very hot water to tighten the weave, then coat in beeswax.

Hope this helps.

YMHS,

ThomasR.
skunkkiller
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks very much Thomas I tried the parch rice today and like it but needed a pc way to care it .I do the fur trade era am a trapper with squaw. Thanks again skunkkiller.
Hawkeye
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

light canvas sack.
Some of my sacks are also of red stripe or blue stripe ticking.

Le Loup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: FOOD CONTAINERS. Reply with quote

Hi Skunkkiller, I have used cotton and linen bags in the past, but now I use leather bags for food items and as a gunpowder wallet.
Keith.
skunkkiller
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks keith is it soft leather or stiff? i think i have some soft leather around that might work good skunkkiller

Le Loup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: LEATHER FOOD BAGS Reply with quote

Soft leather, clothing weight leather. The gunpowder wallet is greased, but I left the food bags incase the grease/oil should bleed/soak through and spoil the food. Some I stash inside my brass trade kettle which fits into my knapsack sideways. Any others go into the haversack (which is kosher for non military by the way!). I also made a bag/pouch for my tinderbox, and I did grease that. I made it with plenty of room so I could add just a few slivers of pine and dried grass. Close the flap, and fold the top down. No button, just a plain pouch. Not for carrying on the belt.
Regards, Keith.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com