This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Knapsacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Knapsacks Reply with quote

For my scouts, I use a 1776 pattern New Invented knapsack (based on Sketchbook '76) since I portray a soldier of the 1st U.S. Infantry. This pack was used by troops in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland (and by the U.S. Army up to the War of 1812).
My pack is made of heavy canvas, hand sewn, and painted. Although modern prejudice would have me make modifications, I've grown quite accustomed to using it as is. With blanket, clothing, and goods, it will hold about 20 pounds comfortably.
I have several patterns and photographs of early U.S. knapsacks (militia), so please e-mail me if you need information.

Submitted by: Mike Maggelet - mhmaggelet@hotmail.com on August 18, 2001

Publisher:
HistoricalTrekking.com
MUZZLELOADER Magazine
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dawnzky05

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: I love knapsacks! Reply with quote

Knapsack is a good camping gear. I bought mine in US and love the qulaity. It is very sapcious allowing all my camping gears packed in one bag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
camping gears
skunkkiller
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a harvest sack over a knapsack all my gear is in one pouch my harves sack wieght is about 5 pounds with out my hawk my bed roll and diamond fly are over my other shoulder.I keep all my gear in small bag to keep it separted.

RudyB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Snapsack Reply with quote

I've been using a snapsack for the past several years. I found the pattern on-line and made one using medium-weight cotton canvas. I left both ends unsewn and tied one end shut using a piece of leather strap. My shoulder strap is a piece of soft leather. The only complaint I have with my snapsack is that it is a pain to get into while traveling. I've learned to keep my compass and jerky in a bandana tied to the outside of the snapsack, and I keep out of the snapsack until the end of the day. The nice part about the snapsack is that I made it myself, and I like the ideal of having done that.
whitebear
User

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Snapsack Reply with quote

RudyB wrote:
I've been using a snapsack for the past several years. I . The nice part about the snapsack is that I made it myself, and I like the ideal of having done that.

Making it yourself is always good. The more you can make yourself the more independent you become. The longhunters wouldn't have lasted very long if they had to run back to the station every time they needed something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trekking Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com