This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Looking for info on hair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Singer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Looking for info on hair Reply with quote

Whats a good reference for native hair styles?
My case.. Ojibwe men wore hair long, sometimes side braids. But for battle wore a scalp lock...
Only good reference i could find was a ink drawing, showing both the side braids, long hair AND the scalp lock, pulled and made into what looks like a roach, instead of a long lock.
Singer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, figured everyone would have some ideas here!!!! Kinda bummed no response LOL.
Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the basics purchase James O'Neil's "Their Bearing is noble and Proud" After you read that and still have question re-post for images?

Singer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miigwech!!!!!
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also say that a lot is based on the time period. I think that if you looked earlier in the 18th century, most anishinaabeg men would have scalplocks of some sort and as we get into the 19th century, more and more images show longer hair or hair in varying lengths.

Isaac

Singer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lookng over a narrative from the 1700's and the commentary was that Ojibwe men wore the hair long, sometimes in braids to the side of the head. But in war, would wear a scalplock... the picture attached to the text showed a Ojibwe male with long hair braids at the sides AND the hair pulled up and greased into a roachtype scalplock with 2 small braided locks to either side of the roach... LOL (artistic license?) I'm running up to LDF soon for a drum, so will look at the museum, and talk to the elders,and pass that info along here for anyone interested.

Thanks for all the help
Okwaho
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaac wrote:
I would also say that a lot is based on the time period. I think that if you looked earlier in the 18th century, most anishinaabeg men would have scalplocks of some sort and as we get into the 19th century, more and more images show longer hair or hair in varying lengths.

Isaac

The major problem that I have with O'Neil is that he begins with 1740 and James Adair who writes of the Southeast and the Chickasa's in particular.As to hair styles, I wear mine long as befits a late 17th and early 18th century older Caughnawaga Mohawk of that period.I have done a good deal of research and have concluded that long hair is very appropriate for my persona which is a Mohawk Elder from the 17th and early 18th centuries since I am 74 years old . Father Francois Joseph Lafitau lived among these Mohawks from 1712-1717 and in "Customs 0f the American Indians" { Published1732}, onP.42} he states:

"A young Mohawk then,to adorn his head,cuts his hair on one side [as long as the breadth] of two fingers from the skin and lets it grow to to its full length on the other side".

I looked at
Du Creux,"Historia Canadensiana" 1625-1658 {published 1685} Illustrations II-IV which all show forms of long hair although one suggests either pulled back or cut very short in front.

Sagard,"The Long Journey into the Huron Country" 1623-1624 {Published 1632}, P. 143 which also refers to long hair for both sexes.

The Nicholas drawings {Ca. 1700}also known as "Les Rareties Des Indes 'Codex Canadiensis' " {Published Paris 1930}which show long hair on warriors from various nations including Objibwe and Ottawas.

I realize that these may be earlier than the original post suggested and Isaac's comments but I am satisfied that the shaven head with one small top knot is not as early as some suggest but may have begun in the late 17th and early 18th century. There are numerous images of long hair among the Northeastern and Great Lakes Indian nations and the time frame, as Isaac correctly points out, should be considered as well as other factors such as the age of the individual.

I hope this helps but I'm not sure what the initials "LDF" refer to, a museum, perhaps.
As always I welcome responsible opposing comment.
Tom Patton

Last edited by Okwaho on Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDF... Lac du Flambeau (Waaswaaganing) an Ojibwe reservation in Vilas County, WI.

In the 1830s, George Winters writes that the Potowatomis and Miamis have abondoned the scalplock since it has now been a time of peace.

IW

Singer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Issac... forget sometimes our Wi. shorthand doesn't make sense to most folks.
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singer wrote:
Thanks Issac... forget sometimes our Wi. shorthand doesn't make sense to most folks.

No prob... some folks just need to speak Wisconsinese or is that wisconsinmowin... he he he

Isaac

Singer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess I'm good to go with long braids, or clean shaven and a scalp lock up into the 1800's LOL

I bets we gooin up nort der hey for some fishfry an beers donchaknow!!!
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singer wrote:
So I guess I'm good to go with long braids, or clean shaven and a scalp lock up into the 1800's LOL

Perhaps if you are doing straight-up shinab, but if you wanted to do a metis/mixed-blood impression long hair could be cool. I think of guys like Langlade. He would most likely have been seen dressed a little more European (with a lot of Native) and wearing his hair long and queued in the back as per canadien fashion. Could be a cool way to go.

IW

Singer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have my wife work on my hair with some diferent braids we have seen.I'll post pics if they come out good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com