This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Just love reading in here!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Singer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Just love reading in here!!! Reply with quote

Just love to sit and read all the posts in here!

I've slowely been rebuilding my kit after the"ex" ran off with it, and my dancing regalia (Mens traditional), Yes she took it outta spite plain and simple.
Me, im a mutt mix of native(Ojibwe),Brit, and slavic
I lead a drum called "Thunder Hills", and do native music at the 'voos.
Glad I found this place!
OH!! I portray a Great Lakes area, Native Trapper or scout.

Have drum will travel!!!
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaniin and welcome to the board fellow Wisconsinite!

Isaac

Lady of the Woods
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: love reading looking for ideas for shoots Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. I find myself sitting here for a good half and hour or more almost everynight.

I would like to see more posts in this area. I've been portraying a mixed French trader/woodland indian for about 4 years. used to do the girl clothes and got tired of wearing fancy shoes and trying to hold up my petticoats while also trying to shoot on the woods walks. Ever since I bought my first breech clout I rarely put on all the layers of stuff to be relatively authentic Colonial woman.

Funny story. The first time I tried the clout on no one told me that my sash should be lower on my hips. I typically wear a sash or any belt around my waist. Well, I put the sash on around the waist, pulled the clout up and over and thought someone had sold me a mini-skirt breech clout. I thought my husband was going to fall out of his chair laughing. He kindly explained the lower on the hip thing. Now it's a clout, braintanned leggins, long trade shirt and mocisans. MUCH more comfortable and easier to shoot in than long skirts fancy shoes etc.

I would love to hear more about scenerio style shoots or other competitions ya'll have participated in or put on. I've heard of Seneca runs but am not entirely sure I know what that entails. The clubs I belong to have put on some awesome scenerios, though Devious Dee (president of Wolf Creek Muzzleloaders in Indiana) is known for killing ya before ya even get yer gun loaded. his motto "its a good day to die"

I'm always looking for more ideas for interesting competions. I'm not so much for shootin paper. I'd rather creep through the woods following a "blood" trail with my pack, hawk and knife, rather than just than loadin and shootin. But hey, papers better than nothin!
Zan
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Michael Galban
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome both of you.

Singer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really haven't had scenario shoots one place i go has a trail walk that isn't too bad...just guns no hawk, or knife. Shooting at silloettes, not paper.
Lady of the Woods
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: scenerio shoots Reply with quote

We do line shoots too but I prefer novelty items like suckers, toothpicks, feathers, cards, golf balls, or gongs and swingers made out of steel. Paper is ok, but not my favorite.

Often if we have a scenario shoot the booshway sends a postcard or letter about a week or so ahead of time and gives just enough information to whet the whistle. it might say something like, "It is the year of our Lord 1763 you are in the Ohio Country and Pontiac has struck the war post. Be prepared with everything you need to survive"
From there you might either know the basic scenerio or you begin to research. The problem is you have no idea who you are. Native, French or British. There are usually enough clues along the trail to figure it out, but it may be too late by the time you do. You usually have to do other skills beside just shooting, like build a shelter, build a fire (just get a flame) and sometimes there are shots that must be taken with a bow. You typically have to have enough trade items to convince your guide to take you all the way through. Its a combination of luck, skill and historical knowledge. But mostly luck. it may be single competitors or teams, my favorite is to pick teams out of a hat, that way it's pretty fair. If it's teams that choose each other it's always the same folks paired up.

Lots of fun though. Try it some time, but be prepared. Some of the folks in the shoot may know more than you do about the topic. (maybe that's just my problem.) Anyway, maybe that's the type of thing lots of clubs do, I don't know but that's what I love! Shoot a little, throw a knife and hawk make a fire it all beats sittin around the house.

Well, I'm between coats on my bow and I'm guessing the last coats dry and ready for the next. Always fun chattin.

Zan
captchee
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we often have situation shoots as an event .
In these we incorporate usually some trading , tracking and shooting .
For targets we make full size painted effigies of deer and such but hide the steel clinger behind the target a yet lined up with the hart lung area . This way folks also learn shot placement.
We all so set this walk up something like the old D&D game where what happens next is dependant on what you or your group decided to do .

One of the things that is always fun is to place trip wires along the trail . They are simple to make and hide . We run this to a mouse trap that has an arrow attached to the spring .
You trip the wire and SMAKE and arrow is not sticking out of a tree hehehhheh
Lots of things you can do if its set up right
Hawkeye
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: love reading looking for ideas for shoots Reply with quote

Lady of the Woods wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I find myself sitting here for a good half and hour or more almost everynight.
..........tired of wearing fancy shoes and trying to hold up my petticoats while also trying to shoot on the woods walks. Ever since I bought my first breech clout I rarely put on all the layers of stuff to be relatively authentic Colonial woman. ..........Zan

Me to on the time online. and the clothes. I went first to a breechcloth for the privacy afforded while with a hunting party...enough said.. I like breeches better though.. why dress as such? for the leggings, and I got tired of getting chewed up by the chigars. I had to do something.
Nothing like itching for a month to make you change your clothing habbits.
No skirts in the woods for me. If I do or must, it's a riding habbit with light weight breeches and leggengs on underneath which is traditional F&I period high class riding / fox hunt garb for a woman.

I have breeches, leggings ties and double solde center seam mocs on in the picture. I have a checked linen shirt and a light white silk shirt both tucked properly into the breeches with a wool weistkit on then a walnut dyed heavy weight linen (canvas weight) hunting shirt pulled over. It's just a triangular stock about my neck. It was very cold fall day. with a thin layer of ice on the buckets in the morning. That was 5 days after 90 degree weather the first part of that week.
This outfit, adding wool legging covers, wool liners in mocs, wool mittens and a wilde match coat takes me to about 25 degrees F. At night, wrap me up in a buffalo hide. or a blanket with my dog.

Singer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the shooting here is lacking LOL, ok I need to find a few of these situation shoots!!!!!!
Singer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Chee...is your head shaved or bald? (pardon my asking,my son wants to know) that being said then, do you have a lock to tie your roach/scalplock into?
Lady of the Woods
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: love reading looking for ideas for shoots Reply with quote

Good question about the scalp lock, wondered the same thing.

Hawkeye, I think I have the twin of your walnut dye heavy weight shirt. I've been giving thought toward breeches. I'll probably pick up a pair at Friendship. I've been doing braintan deerhides with my soon to be "ex"for about 4 years and had to have a couple of pairs of leggins to show for it. Braintanning is probaly number one on my list of things I plan NEVER to do again. ughhhhhg.

Singer I can assure you not all "ex"s run off with all the reenactment stuff. that really stinks and it was just plain mean. So far we havent figured out how to split our rendezvous stuff. The house was easy, the stuff in the house was easy - heck even the CDs and DVDs were easy; but the campin stuff is hard. So far what we've decided is to leave everything in the trailer and just trade back and forth so that whoever's going to rendezvous has everything. We'll see how that goes....

Anyway, Captchee; love the tripwire/mouse trap idea, any other fancy tricks ya care to share?

Having just finished reading "captured by Indians" last summer I came up with an idea for fun thing at a shoot when I was Booshway. I inflicted "torture" upon my captives to see how they responded. I made each of them go down on one knee, close their eyes and I plucked the longest gnarliest hair out of their nose or eyebrow. Depending upon their response I either chose to "adopt" them into my family and then painted their face red, or if they screeched/flinched or made any visible sign of pain I "killed" them by painting their faces black and made them walk the rest of the course without shooting/throwing. There were other tests along the trail, I had a pop up "daughter" who was UGLY, I offered my "lovely" oldest daughter to each captive as a going away gift when I was prepared to release them. All but one of my captives wisely accepted my ugly daughter, the one that didn't was immediately killed, his face painted black and his score erased as he was "dead to me". That was fun. at least most people thought so, maybe one person not so much. LOL.
Zan
Singer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah I know my ex was a special case (headcase) LOLOLOLOL
She was just spiteful, never camped, didn't want me in camp, And couldn't stand my loving my heritage. Eh... what do you expect from an Amananite.
Funny though to this day nobody has ever seen those dancing bussles anywhere.They are colored very unique, and becuase of my size are bigger than most. And I have people watching.
Hope yours shares nice!!!!!

Waiting for the thaw...
captchee
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head is shaved and I wear a scalp lock . This is attached with toupee glue from the local wig shop . It holds even when swimming and can be worn for days without coming off . Yet when I want to remove it , I can start on an edge and peal it away ..
Do to my job I cant grow my hair proper , also my real hair doesnít grow strait , its wavy and rather curly making for a better afro then long hair LOL .
i went to a locl wig shop and had them match my real hair color prior to shaving my head .

A good situation walk isnít simple or fast to set up

Some of the things we do for our situations is to write up a beginning story line of what has happened leading up to the situation . . If folks are say long hunters or trappers , then most time we provide packs they must carry ..
What they are required to bring is always established by the description of the situation itself . Most certainly the can bring more but they must start out with the basics .
Each station we have a list of out comes that are chosen depending on the actions of the group or individual . This way no one really ever experiences the same out come

With targets like clingers , which we always have . We never place them as a target by themselves , they are always hidden beind a painted target and placed in the proper kill areas . IE all the shooter sees is a deer . Bear or what have you . Hit it in the kill zone ď hart and lings or head ď it will ring . Anywhere else and it will not ring and itís a miss .
We also require that the shooter recover the game . Those they have to walk down range and touch the target .
Sometimes we place gravity targets on trip wires and if the person isnít careful the can find a real bear suddenly coming down the hill at them . Maybe a snake striking from along the trail or set off an ambush .

Sometimes we also put in a trade situation .
One event we did we dictated that the person or group was approached by a lone native demanding trade for the right to safely pass .
Whether you got ambushed or continued on was dependant of how that trade went and how the group acted .
If everyone wanted to stand around and watch the trading and not put out guards ??? Well you get the idea .

The other thing is we normally donít make the situation so its interpreted as a one day situation . While it make take 2 or more hours to complete , folks have to do fire starts , sometime cast balls , change out foot wear and such

We have even been know to set up blood trails that must be followed or have a animal track ID that folks must answer . Traps that must be set .
Basically anything to make it a learning experience over just some other trail walk .
We have even done captive scenarios where folks must track and rescue the captives or captive as quickly as possible following nothing but sign left by the attackers and captive themselves , yet always being on the look out for ambush .

When I get home from work tonight I will describe a buffalo hunt scenario that we did a few years back that was a lot of fun . Out of so 40 people that took part in the scenario over a 2 day period , if I recall only 3 made it through alive and those two were women and one was a young boy scout who got so involved the trail took him 4 hours to complete when it only took the others 2 hours LOL
He by the way won the award that we gave out for the most experiences woodsman at the end of our camp . VERY impressive young man
Singer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW

Ok up here in Wi. we are missing out...
I need this...
Maybe im not looking in the right places LOL
Can't wait to hear the next scenario!!!
LOL this place is becoming my "night reading" after work.
captchee
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here is the set up for our buffalo hunt that we did a few years back .
Now first off keep in mind that whenever your shooting LIVE rounds down range , keep a tight reign on the range . First rule is always safety and no one participates with a loaded rifle . All live shooting is done with loading at the station and the range double check to be clear .
Now a word about the targets here . While this is a buffalo hunt , these folks are also looking for camp food so what fun would we have just running into buffalo .

Now for the buffalo targets . What we did was go to the local lumber yard and ask for damaged paneling or fiber board as a donation to the club . Most time they give it to you or only charge a buck or two for the 4X8 sheet . Now these we drew out the shapes of buffalo one and cut them out with a saw .
We made 6 all together , some laying down and others standing .
These are then painted . Now real detail is need just colors and you need to clearly see the head , horns and legs .
We placed these in an open area some 50 yards up hill and across the creek . Now we also found a local farmer who had an old field disc gang that he no longer used . This provided us with 18 inch hardened steel clangers which we hung behind the buffalo targets being sure they were lined up with the correct hart and lung area for a buffalo and were positioned so that the shooter can only see the buffalo.

We also did a full sized detailed charging grizzly bear . Charging being on all fours with his mouth open . We placed this at the end of the trail about 15 yards across the creek in some willows and also with a steel clinger behind his head

Now something here that I find a lot of fun is providing distractions . Be it just some one up the trail in a safe area coyote , turkey calling or even elk bugling .
What this does is often time folks will start wondering whatís up ahead instead of paying attention to what they should be doing .
We also use timers in this way . For a timer we use a 5 ft piece of Ĺ inch copper tubing .
This is hung next to where a shooter will be shooting from . When the word START is said , a 45 caliber ball is dropped into the tubing and the shooter must shoot before the ball drops into the tin cup .
The ball going through the tube , makes a wooosh woosh sound and its very nerve racking even for the best of folks to hear while they are trying to line up with a target and knowing that with each wooosh time is running out .

Ok so here was the senario
Quote:
Date is 1838 . Your group has been task with rounding up food for the camp .
Local Indians have been friendly and helpful but now is the time for the fall hunts and many different nations are ranging into your area following the buffalo herds , its best to keep a sharp eye .
The camp has had some problems with real bears and as always they are a threat so watch you Pís and Qís .

now at this point we start the trail . everyone has a rifle and gear . a leader is also elected from the group and a shooter / guard is apointed we then move on

just a head about 30 yards or so up the trail we cleared a spot on the ground to show the dirt .
part of our paper work that the guides had was 12 different track signs . Deer , Bear , raccoon, possum . Coyote, wolf , elk , moose , buffalo , horse and such . Upon reaching this cleared spot in the trail . 4 different picture of tracks are show . One is of Buffalo .
The group or individual is scored as to the correct answers , 1 point per .
If they miss identify the buffalo sign , they then have to make camp , start a fire . And 15 minutes is added to their over all time .
Fire starting is scored 3 points . And as follows
3points for less then 10 seconds
2points of less then 20 seconds
1point for some time today .
Once they have flame , the fire is put out and they can move on .

So we often add in a few small game targets to temp them along the way but keep reminding them they are after buffalo which are being hunted by the local Indians so they may be spooky . Also they must keep in mind that there may be other tribes hunting this same area that are not friendly .

so now we come to the actual buffalo shoot .
there are 6 targets , every target must be shot at twice for a total of 12 points .
BUT only two people can be at the line at once AND you only have 4 minutes to get it done and no shot counts that does not clearly ring IE you must hit the hart lung area which is not marked so you have to know where the hart lung area for a buffalo is . By the way , its not in the same place as a deer or elk .
Also each missed shot adds a 10 minute penalty to your time .
After 4 minutes the herd moves off . Now when we set the targets , they all are not at equal distances. They are also not all in clear view . This makes it so that a few yards up the trail we can again do the same thing .
After this last shoot at the herd the group must decide on a packing order . What parts of meat they will take and such . They must describe how they will accomplish this tasks .
Points are given for correct procedures .

I will also say that during this situation we did not require or alow folks to go down range to tag their kills . We were located just to the left of the main trail walk and we did not want folks going down range

Now during this discussion is when our grizzly bear came into play .
Out of all those folks , that participated most never noticed this charging bear in the brush .
So at an opportune time when everyone was not paying attention to what was going around
The ALARM is given by the guide . This is where the guard /shooter that was elected at the beginning comes in as he is the one thatís supposed to be on guard and watching for trouble while all the butchering is going on .
The bear is close , there is only time for one shot and he will be right in their mix .
The guard is given time to load his weapon but cannot cock or cap the rifle tell the word start is given . At which time the 45 cal ball is dropped into the brass tube .
The person must be quick , cock his rifle , raise it , aim and shoot true or the whole party is dead .
LMAO you would be surprised at the number of folks that cannot hit an 18 inch circle at such a close distance . For that mater the bigest majority cant even hit the bear which is a 4 ft X8 ft piece of board ..

We had one fella who is one of the best shots I have ever seen when shooting off hand at distances out to 300 yards . He knows his rifle , he knows his aim and one would best to be putting you money on him during an event .
The group that he was with elected him as their shooter/ guard .
With confidence that Marcus could hit anything true .
Well with everything gong on , the guide screaming BEAR !!!! BEAR!!!!!, the 45 cal ball going wooosh woosh through the tube , he fired just as the ball landed in the cup and missed the target by a good 3 FT . now in not talking about the clanger behind the bear , but he missed the whole bear at less then 15 yards LMAO and got everybody killt in his group
Which lost all their points and got them a thanks for coming out .

Anyway . thatís one of our shorter scenarios. It was great fun , was a challenge and all enjoyed it .

Now if you cant shoot live rounds during your even , at least let the folks shoot re-enactment rounds ďBlanks ď. use a dice to decide who hit what and who missed what .
This isnít as fun and can bring some animosity for some folks but its simply the way it must be done at times .
Remember though to make it a learning experience . Be sure to mix in things like fire starts , and other tasks that a person would experience . There is just so much you can do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Native Reenacting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com