This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Landjaeger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Richards
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Landjaeger Reply with quote

Stopped on the way home to Michigan from Columbus, Ohio, at a small roadside meat market north of Delaware. Bought a few links of Landjaeger. Pretty darn good stuff. They were busy so I didn't go back to ask them about needing refrigeration, "shelf-life", those kind of things. Do any of our 18th century vendors/sutlers carry these?
Grenadier42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim:

We've got a good German butcher here in Indianapolis, Klemm's, and I've carried Landjaeger from them with the assurance that they would be fine through at least a long weekend...also carry GREAT smoke-cured and almost un-spoilable bacon! Ymmm!
ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was sold to a family member and is now Claus:
http://www.clausgermansausageandmeats.com/
but still carries the same items
Grenadier42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike...Mike Stevens and I were carrying that stuff for the Ranger Training Weekend at Camp Tecumseh way back in the long ago, eh? How was your weekend in the 16th Century?
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: landjaeger Reply with quote

Here in Texas, the Germans have a great Dry Sausage. It needs no refrigeration and if mold does set in, all you need to do is wash it of with a little vinegar mixed with water.
I have had some set out for a month with the only problem was keeping my sons away from it. This sausage is habit forming so be warned.
Here are three locations:
Casper's in Weimer
Granzin's in New Braunfels
Prasek's in El Campo (they have a website)

Colonel Tubbs
Medicine Soldier
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bavaria Sausage Inc. ( www.bavariasausage.com ) Madison, Wisconsin carries Landjager ( https://www.bavariasausage.com/shop/index.php?storecategory_id=54 )

They say "These do not require refrigeration as long as you keep them in a cool & dry spot"

I have actually had some hanging in my kitchen (not a very cool spot) for well over a year and they have gotten very dry but are still edible. Great eating in their usually predried state. But when that dry they are best added to your pot amd mixed with your dinner. I tend to add them to my grits after cutting them into small pices. Spices them up especially id the pepper version is used.

Medicine Soldier
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medicine Soldier wrote:
Bavaria Sausage Inc. ( www.bavariasausage.com ) Madison, Wisconsin carries Landjager ( https://www.bavariasausage.com/shop/index.php?storecategory_id=54 )

They used to make sausage (vension) and landjaeger for my father when I was younger. We did all our own butchering (beef and deer) but they made our sausage. They are THE BEST!! Not only is their quality great but they run a good operation. My dad got a tour one day when he was there and asked about some things and in his words, "the place was immaculate. I would have surgery done on the floor in any of their rooms."

Isaac

Tim Richards
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! I may have to try them all.
JT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I have mail ordered Landjaegers from a Kuhn's Deli out of Chicago (I think that's were they are). They are excellent and keep for quite a while. David Schmid had an article in OTT years ago and mentioned them. It's been a couple of years since I've ordered from them but I've always been satisfied. Check them out.

http://www.kuhnsdeli.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com