This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
How not to get shot... the period way.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: How not to get shot... the period way. Reply with quote

Well, tomorrow starts the glorious deer hunting season here in Oregon and I am going over some maps, etc, to figure out where to go this year. I was lucky enough to draw a black powder tag this year which not only means that I get a month longer deer season then centerfire, but also can take a doe if I wish.

However, since BP deer season opens tomorrow, the same time as centerfire, I was curious if anyone has suggestions for keeping good visibility but maintaining period correctness?

I am not one for wearing hunter orange weskits or hats and since I am hunting all period, I would like to try and incorporate something that still stays in the realm of PCness. I was thinking about a solid red handkerchief tied around my wool cap or from the Emma's barrel?

Has anyone else have any ideas for something that makes you safer in the woods but stays PC?
*Hawkeye*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a hunter's orange head scarf. PC be danged, safety first!
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality, the HUGE majority of hunting accidents happen when one hunter shoots the other that they have been hunting with. It is RARE indeed to hear of one hunter shooting another one totally unrelated to their party. Besides, pretty much every hunting accident that I have ever heard of happened when one hunter put a round right through their buddies hunter orange vest!

Brush hunters are brush hunters and they will shoot at anything that so much as moves a branch, no matter what color they are wearing. When I hunt I generally ambush instead of roaming around so the risk of being shot is much smaller, my concern is getting from my car to my ambush site.

This is why having a blackpowder tag is so nice. Once centerfire season ends and BP season is solo out in the woods the risks drops a lot.
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Eric S. Campbell
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with you Dana, I use a solid red silk scarf around my neck. It not only keeps me warm but keeps me alive to with these crazy rednecks down here.
captchee
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while the risk may drop , its still there . case in point . Maine last year where a hunter, hunting during muzzleloading season killed a girl on her horse , behind her house and along an open field .
She wasn’t another member of his party , she wasn’t wearing orange , heck she wasn’t even a hunter , just a kid in her back yard.

now i have never been a big proponent of hunter orange , I agree that it works . But I submit that if a color says “HA!! Im another person “ doesn’t walking up right on two legs also say that . Wearing a bright color has not changed the fact that some people will do stupid things , take risky shots or not properly identify a target prior to shooting

People still get shot every year who wear hunter orange . Short of painting yourself completely orange , forgetting not a crack or crevice, one is not going to completely reduce the chances of getting shot . That possibility will always be there . Concerning Muzzleloading especially as we move to an age where modern muzzleloading ranges are being greatly extended , yet still excepted by the game commissions as acceptable short range weapons .
With all that being said IMO its safer to chose one side or the other .
Wear color , be it orange , red , bright yellows .
OR go the other common view used by some hunters , dress so your not seen at all .
I would say though its always best to stay as far away from the colors or colors that can be mistaken for your intended target .
So wear what makes you feel safe . If that’s hunter orange , then do it . Never seen a hunter orange deer in the wild . However apparently the numbers of folks killed each year wearing it , there must be more then a few orange deer running around the woods

Last edited by captchee on Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric S. Campbell
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were the hikers wearing? Not orange. And I know hunters don't always wear orange in MD or anywear for that matter. Dana is talking about a bright red cap and neck scarf which stands out very well.
Michael Archer
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How d' ye!

Here's throwing a can of gasoline on the fire rather than a log...

A heresy from the radical, lunatic, fringe element- and so an extreme minority POV...

Do what works for you, and affords you the best measure of caution or illusion of perceived safety.
A few years back, a woman was killed in her back yard while hanging white mittens to dry on a clothes line. And a hunter was shot out of a tree stand. And another hunter shot because another hunter mistook his roll of white toilet paper for a Whitetail tail. And several were shot over an argument over a tree stand...

I have always hunted in "period" dress in violation of the "orange" laws.
The woods and forests are a hostile environment, and I use other hunters as deadly hostiles.

If I am shot by another, it is my fault.

Social Darwinistic? Egotistical. Vain. Irresponsible. Reckless. Stupid. Death Wish. Suicidal.
Sure.
But, here I am, while others in their Day Glo Orange are dead.
Not a brag, just a fact. My training and skills-sets are such that I live.

Do NOT try this at home.

Others' mileage, and hunting practices, will vary...

Michael Archer
Beloved and Protected of the Gods
Situational Awareness Freak

brian
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaquina,
What color(s) is your hunting clothing? I would think not wearing safety orange might not be safest thing to do if you blend in well but it's your choice. I do not worry so much about another hunter mistakenly shooting me for a deer but I do worry about another hunter shooting at a deer between them and me and not knowing I am there. The thicker the woods or during low light at dawn and dusk the more important being seen by other hunters is. Public lands or Posted Lands, I have hunted for over 35 years and seen all sorts of guys in the woods. Some safe while others not. I do not hunt during firearms deer season without some type of hunter orange on. Best of Luck for a safe and succesful hunt.
Brian
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
I do not worry so much about another hunter mistakenly shooting me for a deer but I do worry about another hunter shooting at a deer between them and me and not knowing I am there.

???

Honestly, what are the odds that you would just happen to be in direct line of fire between a hunter and a deer? Just think about the math on this one. No, I think being mistaken for a deer is a far more likely event then a line-of-fire accident.

I generally wear what I have on in my avatar, with perhaps the addition of a matchcoat or light colored frock coat.

I am not really that concerned with it simply because I have spent a lot of time in the woods and generally are far more aware then you average hunter who steps into the wilds perhaps twice a year at best. For the most part I generally see the modern folk long before they see me.

In truth I will probably just wait until centerfire season closes, then I will have the woods to myself pretty much for nearly a month and since I can take a doe if I like, my odds are not to bad since doe tags are not easy to get in Oregon. There should be plenty of deer still around, the trick will be finding them after they have been chased and scattered to the four winds by the frantic centerfire hunters. BP hunters seem to be far stable as they know that they only have ONE shot and they try to make it count. Less likely to just pop at anything moving in the brush.
brian
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right the Odds are very slim (almost zero). Facts are hunting is one of the safest sports you can do.
Riley/MN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in MN you have no choice. If you are afield during a gun season (with the exception of bear and turkey) the orange is a requirement.
Rod L
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention the same thing Riley did, here in ND during both regular season and ml season, we're supposed to wear 400 square inches of visible orange --and it can't be any of that 'camo' orange, either. Caught without if and it's an automatic loss of hunting privilages for a time. Now, mind you, there have been any number of times I've headed into the hills, sans orange and, dare I say, licence--just 'hiking', right? But then I've stayed on my own land, too. Ranching does have its advantages, one of them is lots of pasture to hunt.

schnapser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michigan is the same, orange is required during all fire arm seasons other than turkey. I get by by wearing an orange touque. I am at least legal and since the orange is on the top of my head, I don't see it and it doesn't ruin my time tripping mojo.
Tim Richards
User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell you about red, at least in my case... I'm just old enough that when I began hunting here in Michigan you didn't need hunter orange (became law effective 10/01/1977). As a young hunter, on my stand early in the morning opening day, on our private property, I saw movement about 80 yards away in the swamp under some cedars. After a few minutes, I was sure it was a buck moving slowly my way. Sat back to wait til he got closer. After a couple more minutes the "buck" stood up, a hunter dressed in tradtional red/black check wool who had been crawling on his knees, bumping the dead cedar branches enough to make them move and convince me they were antlers. Second story, also during rifle season, hunting with a buddy on State land near the Grand Rapids outside of Grand Rapids. Again, low-light conditions. My buddy tried for several minutes, unsuccessfully, to point out a hunter on stand dressed in bright red. I could never make him out nestled between two trunks and brush in front of him. If you haven't guessed, I'm slightly color-blind, as are many American males (your average hunter). I can make out red but in lowlight conditions red tends to look BROWN to me. I have heard others admit to the same kind of experiences. I haven't been able to find the website yet, but there is one that documents all hunting deaths in the past few years in Michigan and details the circumstances; a surprising number, if I recall correctly, are indeed the result of hunters not in the hunting party.
Bottom line, to me, at least, if you don't want to emulate Michael's method, wear hunter orange instead of the red. And if you don't wear any and in the granted unlikely event you end up getting shot by another hunter, be it man, woman or child, they are the one who is going to have to live with the consequences of the decision YOU made.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com