This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Horn Care Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshuway
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Horn Care Question Reply with quote

Folks;
My primary powder horn was made by my Dad way back in 1995, so, math tells me that it's 19 years old. However, it was still in what I thought was great shape and worked just fine up until a couple of weeks ago. Let me start out by saying that this is an extremely well-constructed horn. However, to my chagrin, after conducting a day long scout in some damp weather (no rain), I found that the next time I needed to pour some powder that almost the entire contents of the horn had turned into one big lump! To get the clumps out, I added a bit of water and poured the resulting liquid out (yes, I know that no matter what I'll have to wait quite a while for this horn to dry properly inside and out before using it again); anyway, after letting the horn dry for a bit I saw that around all the seams (base plug, base plug pins, which are thorns) a crust of what I assume is saltpeter had formed as a result of minute leaks and evaporation. So I guess that after 19 years all the wood components of the horn have shrunk a bit . . . what I'd like advice on is: how does everyone out there do "horn maintenance" (if at all), and what, ultimately, does anyone think my options are? Should I redo the horn, i.e. re-pin and replace the base plug, etc., or is there a period correct way I can "re-seal" the seams on it? Any and all advice will be much appreciated!

LRB
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a mix of beeswax and pitch warmed to thin it? Or real spar varnish wiped on, then off before it sets up.
Steve G
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've treated horns like wood as far as care goes. A small amount of linseed oil well worked in with my fingers has worked well for me. When you're done rubbing it in there should be only a slight hint that any oil is present.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Shawnee Mike
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others said,
I routinely rub a bees wax compound into my horns.
My problem was the opposite. Where i came from (CA) the weather is dry. But when i moved to IN. with all the dampness, my horn plugs would swell and crack the horn.
The beeswax helps both ways.

rick tull
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most original horns were assembled and wiped with a half and half mixture of beeswax
and hog lard. something about the hog lard makes the wax seal better and last longer. I have done plugs on install like this, with no glue, and they stay air/water tight.
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Bait
User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That beeswax/lard concoction works equally well as patch lube, protecting metal, treating mocs, fire starter, Chapstick, and probably cures cancer. Pretty versatile stuff. In my experience it's not a 50/50 mix- it'll be a little more lard (or bear grease, deer lard, etc.) but you need to have enough wax it won't run out of the tin on a hot summer day yet not so much it becomes too hard during a winter trek.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com