This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
2 yr old silent tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wattlebuster
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: 2 yr old silent tom Reply with quote

Finally broke the ice this season on this 2 yr old. Hunted monday the 31st and they gobbled real good on the roost. This morning they never made a sound. I started walking and calling trying to get something fired up but no such luck. Went to a spot that I've called in birds before and set up and made 2 short series of calls and this 2 yr old and another just like him came in strutting and drumming but no gobbles. I let the closest one get to about 23 steps and let him have a load of #4s in the face with Achilles a 12 ga flinter I built a couple yrs ago. It was a bit more than he could stand cause he's in the freezer now. He had a 8 an 1/2 inch beard an 3/4 inch spurs and weighed nearly 17 lbs. Just your typical 2 yr old. Good luck to everybody this season

Turkeyfoot
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Nice job! Reply with quote

Good job.......nice turkey and fowler!!!! My hunt comes up on the 15th and hope I do as well as you!!! Congrats!

kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice turkey

trent/OH
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of quick questions.....
1. How do you determine a turkey's age?
2. What's the story on the name "Achilles"? That's probably interesting.
wattlebuster
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trent/OH"]A couple of quick questions.....
1. How do you determine a turkey's age?
2. What's the story on the name "Achilles"? That's probably interesting.[/quote
Trent you age a turkey by the spur length or at least thats the way the two old guys that taught me to turkey hunt did it. Short ones like the one in the picture are generally 2 yr old and when you see long curved sharp "hooks" as they call them then most likely thats a 4 or 5 yr old bird.
As far as Achilles goes I built that gun big and beefy and it needed to be tuff enough to take the abuse of six weeks of hard rocky steep hills and hollows. This is just its second season and has already been dropped and fell on in falls up and down our steep hills and is getting plenty of battle scars plus its a hard shooting gun so I named it after the old greek warrior Achilles

trent/OH
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just knew there was story waiting to be told about Achilles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com