This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
One daffy duck deer season!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wes/Tex
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: One daffy duck deer season! Reply with quote

Our season in central Texas runs mid-Nov. to mid-Jan., so I've a little time left. So far it's been what I've called a 'ride in a clown car'. Just a bit on that. First day I see a honking huge 40 pound plus bobcat and am stunned. Didn't have any idea they got that big! Hour later this goofy black & white antelope looking thing with tall, shiny cork-screw horns wanders out! I'm sitting there with my mouth open and wondering what the heck is that? Suddenly remember we're close to an exotic animal ranch and this is probably a fence-jumper...a Blackbuck who's horny, hence the black instead of the usual brown. Found this out later...also his name is B.W.(for black & white, how droll). What a day...but the whole time I'm being aggravated by a crazy squirrel who's noticed me and is letting the world know. I endure this till just before dark when he passes behind a tree trunk and I center the trunk and let the .62 rip. He bails out the back and goes screeching away in a rooster-tail of leaf debris! Idiot!

From then on, every time I go out there, Yodels(my pet name for him) goes into a rollicking fit of chattering and running around the various tree branches yelling, "The human is here...the human is here!" Second day I don't see critter one, save him all day. Get about 50 feet from the car headed out and a smaller 4-point steps out from behind it...are you kidding me!?? I'm doing my 'slow as molasses in winter' routine to get the trade gun from slung on my left shoulder to up to my right...he's just watching. Just about get lined up and "He's Off!'...straight line away from me using the car as cover! I don't freaking believe it!

Next time, Yodel's is doing his thing being Paul Revere, but another 4-point steps out of the trees within range and parks directly behind a small oak(more bush than tree)...and I mean parks. Wait and wait but no go. Finally decide the .600" ball will go through leaves so line him up and BOOM! Leaves fly, stuff sprays up all around him and he jumps straight up about 4 feet and takes off like a rocket...probably didn't touch the ground twice in 100 yards! Huh? I wait a bit, cause I've seen well hit deer do the jump thing and then go trailing him for several hundred yards. Not one single sign of blood or hair or anything. Just his prints going on and on. Went back to the little oak bush and two limbs down and a big ole hole in the ground right between his 4 hoof marks!? Seriously? Yes, sport fans a ball from a .62 will deflect over 60 degrees down if it hits even a small limb! What a jip! Since then it's been me in tree stand...deer in powder line easement...me near powder line easement...deer under tree stand; and the whole time Yodels telling the whole I'm around somewhere...your turn's coming Yodels! I'm getting a complex!

This morning it was rainy, misty, overcast and a generally good day for separating the men from the boys playing the flintlock game. Dead quiet after dawn...hope the daft squirrel is sleeping in! Wait for over an hour, huddled over the cow's knee and checking the pan periodically...CLUNK! I looked around very slowly and nothing. Sure seems unusually quiet for...THUMP! What the...??? Rain starts to pick up a bit, this day's going nowhere fast...CLANK! An acorn bounces off the trade gun's barrel a couple inches above the cow's knee...just great, tree debris now! For some reason I look up and...it's Yodels and the daft critter is holding an acorn! I know it's him by a bad left ear. "Don't you dare...", zeeee THUMP!...right next to me. Sorry folks, but I totally lost it...bent over holding the gun barrel to me head and howling with laughter! You can't make crap like this up! I've been chasing wood critters for 50 years but I've never even heard of such a thing. This normally noisy and demented squirrel has spent Lord knows how long very quietly getting above me to play bombadier with acorns. It's totally and absolutely nuts!!! I don't know what to think. This is a season for the ages!
ghostdncr
User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed reading about your tribulations and think we all have years like this if we spend any amount of time in the field, for what little that's worth. I had a "friend" like Yodels, once. You may consider working up a "bird and ball" load for that old boy. Quite similar to buck and ball, only #6 birdshot is substituted for the buck. Giving him some time in a crock pot along with vegetables and dumplings will leave you with far fonder memories of your little friend than the abuse he's heaped upon you so far.
Wes/Tex
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Got to the point now, he's like a pet! Reply with quote

I hate to say it but that daft squirrel is becoming a pal! In a way, he's entertainment for the simple reason that he's not only funny and fun but he doesn't show the normal caution I've always seen in squirrels. Usually you have to sneak and cover just to get close. This little guy is absolutely bonkers ans dashes around the trees making a ruckus and Friday sneaks up above me and deliberately drops acorns on me! I mean, Holy Cow, that's the oddest behavior I've ever seen or even heard of. At this point it'd be like shooting the pet spaniel!
Wes/Tex
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Finally ended the season Reply with quote

Didn't get back out before season'send due to family obligation. also heard from the property owner that it had been sold to someone who was going to build on the land and run cattle, so hunting is over there. I just couldn't leave it as it ended, not with that daft Yodels becoming like a pet puppy. I went by Berdoll's, the local big pecan dealer and got a small $1.00 sack of their cracked native pecans and snuck out to the lease and put them in a pile below his favorite tree. He let me know he saw me there but seemed a little put off by my not following the accepted rules of who stayed in which tree. I backed away and watched him make three trips down and back up with a pecan or two. I left him at it, feeling better about our adventure. I do truly hope the new owners realize what a character they've got in their woods!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Traditional Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com