This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Looking to have a rifle made
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt1894
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Looking to have a rifle made Reply with quote

I am looking to have my first rifle built. I want a smooth bore, that I can take anything from squirrel to deer. I am on a bit of a budget, no more then 800 or so. I anyone has a recommendation, it would be great help. I have been a bow hunter for a long time and want to get into flintlock hunting. Thanks in advance.
jt1894
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told Jackie brown makes a good gun, does anyone know how he can be reached
Woodsman1752
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Cordray out of Ohio make's fine custom smoothbores in your price range his # is 740-962-5196

Jeff Birkey
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie is a member here. Send him an email or pm, he is #58 on the member list. He would be my choice for a new gun at that price.
Jeff
jt1894
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Wild Willie
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, Mike Lange is no longer building custom muzzle loaders due to several customers who acted like Richards before, during and after having rifles built.

Last edited by Wild Willie on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://muskratandholland.choppix.com/index.php?page=for-sale

Flint62Smoothie
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Birkey wrote:
Jackie is a member here. Send him an email or pm, he is #58 on the member list. He would be my choice for a new gun at that price.
Jeff

FWIW I have a 48" club butt smoothie from Jackie and it is incredibly accurate! Like up to 3-shots touching at 25-yds and 6" groups or less at 50. And yes, all offhand and I don't why I blow the groups at 50, but she still wants to shoot true.
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: new rifle Reply with quote

I have owned a Jackie Brown Carolina smooth bore in 62 calibre for years and I love the 'ol gal. She is a nail driver at 50 yards. At 75 yards she shoots about 1" off of center. I have nothing but praise for the work Mr. Brown does.

Bigfoot
User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Need a builder Reply with quote

IN my experience, the best value is with Matt Avance of TVM. Jackie Brown builds shootable guns; I have one and it functions just as it should. For 300 dollars more, TVM will make you a gun that will exceed your expectations and be worth every dollar you spend on it ten years from now. I have guns from both makers, and there is a small difference in price and a great difference in fit and finish.
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple TVM flintlocks, a .50 caliber early virginia and a .32 caliber southern mountain. And I have no complaints. They look good and shoot good. And Matt and Tony are very nice people and wonderful to do business with. If you tell Matt exactly what you want he'll build it for you.

I also have a .40 caliber Virginia iron mounted flintlock rifle built by Jackie Brown. It's not a fancy rifle but it shoots real good. Jackie makes a decent rifle for the price.

KHickam
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw a GH Christian brass smoothbore for sale recently in that price range
kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your eyes on Track Of The Wolf, Comtemporary Longrifle Association, The Muzzleoader Forum, and the American Longrifle web-sites sometimes a good buy on a nice flintlock comes up. There is a decent .45 cailber longrifle on americanlongrifles.com for sell right now for $800.00

kopfjaeger
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .45 caliber flintlock I mentioned above for $800.00 is now for sale on this web-site also.

nwtradegun
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: rifle Reply with quote

since you are in French territory would not a fusil de chase be more appropriate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com