This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Paul Revere Lantern Plans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellbilly075
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Paul Revere Lantern Plans Reply with quote

Hello All, Some time back I seen a book put out by Old Sturmbridge Village that had plans for making a Paul Revere pierced tin lantern. Does anyone have a copy that they'd be willing to part with or copying the booklet for me? Ill trade or pay cash for the booklet or copies of it. Thanks Y'all... Eric
LRB
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF, these are just as the typical pierced tin lanterns, you will find them near useless for anything much more than an ornament. They don't put out enough light for any practical use, and burn candles at about twice to three times the normal burn rate. From what I've been told, they were originally intended to be just a temporary candle carrier from the house to the barn where the candle would then be transfered to a real lantern. You can buy them from Crazy Crow pretty cheap.
depot7254

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said, I do like them and have two hanging next to my fire place. They are usually dated early 19th century as well. i do find if you leave the door open the candle will not burn as fast.
Hawkeye
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old one and a newer (1960's one).

I like them, but have bought and resold many others.....
Most of them I see are too small in diameter and the holes are not deep or plentiful enough. The result is that there is either enough holes but no protection from breezes, or not enough space and the candle heats up melting faster.

I've recreated one with success. The key indeed seems to be to have plenty of holes and deep ones at that.
The little holes (1mm) and patterns (5-10%) like pie safes have don't cut it (pun intended)
These holes have to be about 25% of the surface total ration hole to solid. The depth needs to be at least 2-3mm for wind protection.
The latch needs to be a bail and post rather than a locking pin style.

As for the construction...
It is a cylinder with a cone on top with an inverted cone large enough to shield the top holes from rain and a piece with folded edges then turned to a circle for a handle.

or....for a whole kit.
and copy to a pattern before you make your first one... extra tin supplies are also sold here...
just make a pattern with twice as many holes as they show here.

http://www.piercedtin.com/detail.asp?product_ID=LK-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com