This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Dog Harness back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Dog Harness back Reply with quote

My wife and I have taken the plunge and adopted a found puppy. He is around eight weeks old and is a mix breed golden retrieve. Because he was found on the San Jacinto Battlefield we gave him the name of Davey Crockett. The reason is the pup was immediately surrounded by friends just like Colonel Crockett was when he arrived in Texas. I jokingly tell folks he prefers to be called David. lol
Now that the introductions are done, does anyone have plans on how to make a pack for him to wear? Since he is going to be a rather large dog and I plan on taking him with me treks, I want him to carry his own gear and food. I wish to start training him soon so he will become accustom to having something with weight on his back. He already wears a harness for walks.
Any help will be greatly appreciated on how to make a pack and how to train him on wearing one.
Thanks in advance.

AxelP
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note on dog advice. Start working with your new pard gently and gradually with firearms too.

My dog loves the woods and is the greatest companion ever--- I started taking her out when she was old enough to keep up with me---but I did not have any training plan for her regarding gun sounds...

She decided after the 4th trip out that she was very much opposed to the sound of firearms and so I had to stop taking her on any treks that involved shooting.

I miss her. But she greets me with a wagging tail when I get home.

K

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this interesting. Davey was laying under a table in our camp sound asleep while the sounds of cannon, musket fire and pyro explosions were occurring close to him during the battle reenactment. I asked my wife afterwards how he handled the sounds and she informed me he did not stir a bit. I hope that is a good sign that gun fire is not going to be a problem.
He seems to be easily taught simple commands. Davey already understands sit, stay and to bring the ball back to me and give the ball over without a struggle. This may be because of his breed. We are working on not biting while playing. In the mean time I am acquiring battle scares. lol

AxelP
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog never exhibited any concern either---until the last time. Once she decided she did not like guns, she made it clear to me and has not changed her mind.

She is a mix of two very smart breeds--- Aussie/Border Collie.

K

Swanny
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are indeed getting an early start. To avoid injury to growing bones and joints you want to wait until your dog has passed puberty (about 14 to 18 months of age) before putting any significant load on him. You'll also want him near full-size to get your measurements right.

Once he's there, measure him from elbow to elbow over the shoulders. Subtract roughly 4 inches from that length.

Build him his very own market wallet as measured above.

Set the wallet over his shoulders so that the leading edge of the panniers fall just behind the elbows. Measure around his neck for a neck strap that you'll attach to the back of the wallet, to prevent it from slipping further back.

Measure his girth, and attach a belly band to the wallet based on that measurement.

That's just about all that's needed.

Another option is to wait a few months as I'm working on a couple of related articles for On The Trail.

Swanny

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
Swanny
User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding gun-fire and other "phobias", as puppies develop they go through either two or three different "fear imprint periods", periods of brain development in which things that frighten them are so deeply imprinted that they can't cope with any sort of similar circumstance. I'm stuck on a very slow dial up connection for another 10 days or so, but if you google up "puppies fear imprint periods", you'll find plenty of useful information.

S

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
Isaac
User

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a reprint of a mid18th century French military painting...

Rindisbacher early 19th century Ojibwes...

hellbilly075
User

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Harness Reply with quote

W. Ben Hunt has a book out he wrote called "Indian Crafts And Lore", It has a bunch of neat how to's like building a wigwam, lacrosse sticks and snowshoes. He has a section on how to build a harness for a dog and how to make a travois for a dog that should be helpful to you. I bought mine at Tandy Leather about 15 years ago. I think it was about 18$ then but in sure you can get it used, cheaply on Amazon.com. Im pretty sure its still in print. Hope this helps...Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com