This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
casket shaped snuff boxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellbilly075
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: casket shaped snuff boxes Reply with quote

Hello All, has anyone seen or have any documentation for a casket shaped snuff box (wooden)? Ive found some for the early 19th century but was looking for 18th century examples, preferably 1770s. I like the idea of the casket shaped one. How about any other containers? Im use dip (kodiak) and I know it was in use in the colonies but wanted something different than the plain round tin I use now. My persona is a 1770s era tidewater Va tobacco farmer and longhunter in the off season so the jewelled/precious metal examples are a no go. Thats why id like to make a plain wooden one. thanks...Eric
Adam Wetherington
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant help you on the snuff box question but do you happen to have any doc. for the dip or really for chewing tobacco? I'm interested since I prefer chew over a pipe.
hellbilly075
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: casket shaped coffin boxes Reply with quote

I cant remember where I read it but a traveling Englishmen said of the colonials something like "Their always chewing and spitting like a cow and its cud". Ill have to look it up....Eric
CT03
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tobacco.org/resources/history/Tobacco_History18.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com