This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Ship's Bread, Another Way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trail Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul C. Daiute
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Ship's Bread, Another Way Reply with quote

I know that a receipt for ship's bread has been posted in the past but here is another way to make these little tooth breakers. Needed: 1 lb of whole wheat stone ground unbleached flour, (4-5 cups), 1 tsp of sea salt, 1 1/2 cups of water. To make: mix your flour and salt together then slowly mix the flour with the water until you have made a thick dough, then place the dough on a floured surface and cover with a damp cloth, take a rest for ten minutes, (your going to need it, get it?), next take the dough out and knead it for some ten minutes and then flaten the dough and fold it back onto itself and do this process over and over for some 30 minutes. The dough should have become very elastic, now you are ready to bake. Set the oven on 325 degrees and while the oven is heating, prepare the dough. Take your dough and devide the dough into five equal lumps. Place each lump into the cup of your hands and fashion each lump into a ball then flaten the ball into a paddy 1/2 inch thick. Next lightly flour each biscuit and place them onto a ungreased cookie tin, make sure they are not touching. Make a multitude of perforations over the surface of the biscuits with the tines of a fork our use a dull 8 penny nail. Place the biscuits into the oven and let them cook for an hour or so. I like to open the oven door about every ten minutes to let the moisture escape, ( for ten seconds each time). After an hour or so turn off the heat and let the biscuits cool in the over with the door slighlty open. When the biscuits are cool, place them in an air tight container. I have eaten these biscuits more then a year after they were made. I used to make and sell these biscuits five to the pound and in five pound lots to sell. Boulanger of the frontierfolk.net forum borrowed my reproduction press and made biscuits and sent them to me. He did such a good job that I stopped making my biscuits and now send my customers to him. So for those who might want to have nice reproductions of 18th century British Naval biscuits, contact boulanger. Remember you are not cooking the biscuits but drying them out. Warning, WARNING, do not eat thes biscuits like a cracker, the biscuits are ment to be softened befor you eat them. If you must, take the butt of your musket or use your hatchet to break up the biscuits, place fragments in your mouth and suck on them till they are soft, throw them into a soup, or break the biscuits up and make a slurry with them by soaking them in a mug of rum. I have broken a tooth with these rock biscuits, so again, beware. Paul

3 Jan 16
Better research discloses that salt was not used in ships biscuits. So please omit the sea salt, my mistake, my badness for not doing better research prior to my post. I am very sorry to this forum.
Paul C. Daiute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Trail Foods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com