This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
question about item carried on a historical event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiny
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: question about item carried on a historical event Reply with quote

This is not a early time period event.

It was a cattle drive done this year and was celebrating Kansas 150th anniversary and the cattle drives from Texas to Ellsworth KS. It started at Caldwell Ks and went to Ellsworth all in 5days. There was a man that went in good period attire and all his gear was period. He had a canteen that he was going to carry and it got broke 2 days before the drive was to start so I had a canteen that I covered with leather and was a good looking canteen not totally period correct but as close as you can get and be safe with it. I was to get it back and I was going to donate it up for auction and donate the funds to the KMA. But he wants to buy it now. So do I still auction it or just price it to him. Not sure what it is worth. What would some of you give for a leather covered canteen?
http://kansascattledrive2011.com/sites/default/files/images/295813_199627890103593_155342031198846_510486_542933309_n.preview.jpg

This is the canteen and the cowboy he is 62 years old doing a job of a 20 years old in the old days. He actually got bucked off 2 times.

Tiny

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say after an event like that, he earned the right to ask to purchase it. You could make an understanding that he would donate to your organization if he was ever to part with it.

tiny
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand whole heartedly but I told him when I gave it to him I wanted it back, and did not say what I was going to do with it when I let him take it.

I am trying to figure out how much to ask for it? any Ideas Colonel?

Tiny

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not clue to the value. That is something you may have to research to see if you can find others like it to compare to.
On the other hand, it might just be priceless.

Condé
User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's yours. You told him you wanted it back. You get it back. Period. No ifs ans or buts. If, after you get it back, you decide you want to sell it to him you can. It is yours. You can do whatever the hell you want with it. He has no claim.

___

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough"

www.condetrading.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
depot7254

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you are way too nice or I 'm just a mean New Yorker, but just b/c you lend someone something they don't get to keep it! I would have to gree with Conde on this one.
Jacques
User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: In contrast ... Reply with quote

In contrast to those mean New Yorkers, you could just give it to him. We are not talking about a life-changing amount of value here, and by doing so you would increase the amount of joy in the world. We all ought to give things away every once in while to remind ourselves that we own articles, they do not own us, and that we are more than the objects we own.

Of course, you could point out that this is easy for me to saw since it is not my canteen.

Vieux Jacques
tiny
User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see him this weekend and we will see what happens.

fort fireman
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you were going to auction it and donate the funds. So why not just sell it to the guy and donate the funds. The end result is the same. Donated funds.
Francois Labiche
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Jacques... It would sure be a swell gift
Quote:
This is the canteen and the cowboy he is 62 years old doing a job of a 20 years old in the old days. He actually got bucked off 2 times.

It would illustrate how much you thought of the effort that went into the drive....if not a gift, a swap?

I can always BUY stuff, you can't buy a friend.

Just a thought
F.

Wahkahchim
User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Jacques. If you can financially afford it, why not? Add a little joy to the world. I tend to do that, and I think it's been a bad habit financially...but on the other hand I smile when I think of my adventures, and I like to see my face in the mirror. On the other hand if by giving it to him you deny yourself the resources to make another, then you should ask him to buy it or get it back. But if possible...give. Just my 1.5 cents.

tiny
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much let him have it, and another person was going to buy it for him and I priced it to him and he bought has a cow at what I priced it for.

All is good with us.

Tanks all who put in their 2 cents worth on this thread.

Tiny

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com