This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Boiled beef in vinegar/water
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Boiled beef in vinegar/water Reply with quote

I am looking ahead to a trek in October here in Texas but may face a problem. If we stay in the drought we are now experiencing, our group will not be able to have a campfire. Because of that I was thinking on carrying a lean beef roast boiled in water with vinegar to avoid spoilage. Can anyone tell me the ratio of water to vinegar to cook a three pound roast and how long to cook?

On a second note, has anyone carried Journey Cakes with them on a trek? I'm thinking on making and carry some to add to the evening meals and am curious to how well the cakes would travel in a haversack.

Thanks in advance

Steve G
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I boil my beef in straight apple cider vinegar using a meat thermometer to be sure it's done all the way through. It comes out real tart on the outside and easy eating. Don't know how long it's supposed to last, it never made it to far past the first day myself
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
CT03
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journey cakes/ hardtack will last years... secret is to bake it once let cool then bake it again at about 200-225 to really dry it out... wrap it up in wax paper and toss it in your sack for the next year or ten.

I see what your thinking about the beef... why not just make corned beef by soaking it in brine for a week or two... that should make it last out there. Should be lots of recipies online.

CT03
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corned-beef-recipe/index.html

this should work...

in vinigar I would call it Sauerbraten but that requires roasting...

David A. Schmid
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest 1/2 and 1/2, and I add cloves and nutmeg to it as well.. if you are using slices of round steak an hour will do it.. if using a roast, slice it in thin strips so the pickling is through and through the meat..I am waiting for a lab results but Nick Barber had a lab test it and after 19 days penicillin started to grow on the beef, after 23+ days a bacteria started to grow..not bad eh? plus no need to salt the meat when cooking in Vinegar.

I wrote about this way of preserving meat so long ago in OTT magazine, I am glad people are still using this recipe!
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Scott Allen
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same as David. Half water/half apple cider vinegar and throw in some extra spices for additional flavoring. I've carried it up to 4 days with no apparent spoilage.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter, and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
~Abraham Lincoln
Swanny
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave's boiled beef recipe (half N half) works good on moose and bison, too.

Swanny

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
Tom Black
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half and half is good and I like white vinegar. I usually add a bunch of crushed garlic and it is very good eating.
Tom Black
Cantucky
Wahkahchim
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn this sounds like great eating!

ILYankee5
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Going to experiment Reply with quote

I am going on a trek in October and want to give this a try...any suggestion on what cut of beef to use? I may have missed it somewhere in the reading and apologize if I did.

D.S. Bradshaw
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brisket or cheap roast is what I've always heard. ???

That's what corned beef is usually made from at least.

Also, don't forget about boiled eggs as a trail food. Good for ya and last about a week in hot weather, longer in cool/cold weather. And of course there's always 'taters!
Condé
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Going to experiment Reply with quote

ILYankee5 wrote:
I am going on a trek in October and want to give this a try...any suggestion on what cut of beef to use? I may have missed it somewhere in the reading and apologize if I did.

Cut with the least fat you can find.

___

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough"

www.condetrading.com
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Swanny
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now HERE'S a trick you and your pards might enjoy. Make up your boiled beef a week or so ahead of time. While you're at it, hard-boil a batch of eggs. When the beef is finished and ready to come off, pop it in the freezer to keep it good before your trek. Then put the eggs (peeled) in your brine, and let them pickle for a week. The night before your trek you can bring the beef out of the freezer and the eggs out of the fridge, pack 'em up, and you'll have plenty of tasty protien for your adventure.

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler) Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs at http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swanny,
You might have included to not put the cooked beef into the freezer until after it has come to room temp. Bad things can happen if you put it into the freezer while still hot.

D.S. Bradshaw
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickled eggs..better not sleep inside a tent with others though! LoL

Grandpa was bad about pickled eggs and Budweiser and "C'mere and pull my finger..."

September and October are also Apple season! Good stuff on the trail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com