This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
hand sewn grommets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Blanchard
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: hand sewn grommets Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how to do hand sewn grommets? I have been told they might be more correct than ties or loops on a tarp. Is that so for the mid 18th century? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Bob
Ironmule
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Google found a fellow re-enactor Reply with quote

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/sailmaking.html has some nice illustrations.

The purpose of a grommet is to spread the wear and keep a rope from tearing the canvas as it slides through under a heavy load. The top illustration on his page uses a brass core, but the common period way made a circular long splice from segments of unlaid rope to for the circular grommet. If I can find the old thread on the WoodenBoat Magazine's Forum, there were some nice photos of dime sized grommets made by a poster using unlaid tarred marlin.

Not tonight though. I shouldn't have been up this late. Yahhhnnnnn

I couldn't help hitting a few more links in Google, David Steel's The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship, published in 1794 was said to be very good. The recommendation came here: http://www.orbitals.com/self/history/sail/index.html where there's photos of the hand sewing of a batteau sail.

R. Blanchard
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: grommets Reply with quote

Ironmule,
The hand sewed grommet in that first site is a work of art. I can see I have a lot to learn. I have obviously been looking for info in the wrong places. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Bob
otter
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: #1 photo is my hand sewn Grommit Reply with quote

The #1 photo of the hand sewn grommit is mine :) That grommit has a linen core. If your going to use them for stress point IE weather earrings, tarps , sea bags ,I would add a core. Mr Blanchard drop me a PM & I can explain more on cores. Most grommits are simple overhand stitches , the one you see on frayedknots is one of my fancy grommits done with overhand half hitches, It takes months of practice to perfect the flower grommit. Hope this helps.
Otter, I remain
R.N. Boatswain mate, great lakes squadron.
R. Blanchard
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: grommets Reply with quote

Otter,
Every time I try to PM you I get a debug mode notice and it doesn't go through. My e-mail is listed on my profile so if you can contact me there. There is a lot I'd like to know. Whatever the case thanks for your time.
Bob
KarlK
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Otter Reply with quote

Otter's (Tim) class at the last NAVC was a huge sucess. Last November he offered notions such as grommets, dorset and deadhead buttons and other mysteries of thread on canvas etc...How he made a class like that sound so fun and people were laughing and producing great work is a testament to Otter's craft.
Karl Koster
Francois Labiche
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour;

I have tried the hand sewn grommet on my trail tarp, but it rips out. For it to work well, I found thatI have to reinforce the material with extra layers, especially the corners. This starts to become quite labour intensive. For my common ol trail tarp, I simply sewed on scraps of a thick leather and then punched a hole through it for a tie. Much quicker and none have ever pulled through.
It ain't pretty tho thats fer sure.

I need to have Otter make me a nice guitar strap, similar to the whistle necklace lanyard he wears. His workmanship is bon bon bon!

Regards
F.

Jeremy Ray
User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know how to make a button hole stitch, then the grommet is no problem at all. PM me and I'll give you some insight on how to do this if you are still interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com