This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
MVTC, Loyalist and Discrim. Gen-- Are they SAFE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Snellen
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: MVTC, Loyalist and Discrim. Gen-- Are they SAFE? Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
I have asked this on other sites, but I am still looking for a certain answer.
Are the guns by MVTC, Loyalist or Discr. General safe to shoot live rounds from?
I don't want one to blow up on me.
Thanks, David
Petey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak to the Middlesex Village Trading Co. arms on a couple of notes.

I had one of their pistols, the Elliot Light Dragoon, for a while and it never show a problem for me, but it was only a 25gr load and a ball that was not patch very tightly. The only reason I sold it was I had a chance to buy a custom pistol for a good price and when I did, someone said they would be interested in the Light Dragoon.

Several of my fellow travelers have the purchased the Long Land Bess from MVTC. One has had his for several years shooting live fire matches and winning them on more than one occasion. The others have also done live fire with their Bess', both with round ball and shot. One is planning to turkey hunt with his this spring. We all do very little firing of blanks.

That is the experience of those of us along the Spoon River. Others may have had different experience but I am not aware of any.
cazadorcovey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this topic as becoming a boondoggle. ;)

I own a Baker Rifle from MVTC and the only problem I've ever had with it is the frizzen needing to be rehardened. That being said I think they're wonderful guns for the price and perfect for the economical enthusiast. Pete and Wendy at MVTC are always willing to help out if there's any problems and they're just all around good people.

As to Loyalist Arms, I don't own one but I'm planning on buying one of their 1842 Springfields soon. Their site has a much wider variety of guns that MVTC does-- especially if you want to do some later period stuff. Several friends have bought flinters from them and I don't think any have had any problem.

Disadvantage between Loyalist and Middlesex: Middlesex will make sure the lock is firing and that the vent is drilled before shipped. Loyalist's the vent has to be drilled by the buyer because it gets shipped over the border between Canada and US.

Buyer beware with DG. I've heard that buying from them is like paying for a bum pony ride. I won't elaborate too much, but of the 4 people I can think of that I know for a fact that have bought from DG, only 2 of them have had any luck in keeping their gun firing. One of them, when it came time to drill the vent discovered that the breachplug extended about a 1/2 inch past where the vent hole should go. I've been told (when I was considering were to get my Baker from) that DG has some of the worst costumer service in the industry and that it'd be easier getting a cup of ice water in hell than for them to find a way to help you.

I know that sounds really biased, but it's all that I found out when I was on the market looking for a new piece. I hope this helps you!

Cazador Covey
Stinky Mike
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I've got a MVTC first model Long Land Pattern. i shoot it every Sunday, or at least i try to :(

On first shooting it i didn't get all the grease out of the breech. it shot smoke and flames out of the touch hole for what seemed like a minute. that was a little unnerving. after that, no problems at all. i shoot 120g FFg, a .715 with a paper wad and/or a .690 paper cartridge and have no problems. I clean it with hot water, tow and grease it with a mixture of sweet oil and bear fat. I scrub the outside with brick dust and sweet oil. cleans up real nice.

19 Oct 2008 I have since had LRB put new steel on my hammer as it stopped sparking recently. He did a real nice job and it sparks everytime. I would have the hammer looked at if i bought another one.

Last edited by Stinky Mike on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Mike/MO
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Loyalist Arms First Model. Other members of the First have the Middlesex village. I do know of one Loyalist Arms long land pattern that had a barrel that needed some serious bending to get the target impacts on paper. Loyalist ships the lock separately from the rest of the gun so they are shipping parts and not a complete musket.

We are seeing a lot of the Middlesex Village guns. They also seem to be pretty well made and a good value for the money. Those are the two brands of Indial guns that I have seen that I would recommend.

They may have get a little work to take the rough edges off and take some wood and adjust the tint of the stain. In general they can be a real choice when the other choices that have better lines to the stock and to the lock cost three to four time as much or more.

cazadorcovey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I didn't know that about Loyalist shipping their locks separately.

Cazador Covey
ditmurier
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Mine came as working weapon. Drilled and the lock was in the box.
David Snellen
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: MVTC, Loyalist and Discr. Gen. are they Safe? Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
That sure sounds more favorable. Are all the locks VERY hard (trigger pull and main spring)?
Thanks,
David
cazadorcovey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

My Baker has a tough mainspring-- one that could really go thru hell and back with you. One of my biggest problems at first was the frizzen spring was way too powerful also and it took too much power for the flint to push it back (I think is why my frizzen needed to be re hardened so quickly).

MVTC stands by their work. They fixed my frizzen for me, and since all the springs and parts are hand forged somewhere across the sea, if one breaks they'll fit it back on the lock for free.

covey
Steve Stanley
User

Location: Somewhere between 21st century England & 18th century Acadia...........

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cazadorcovey wrote:
David,

My Baker has a tough mainspring-- one that could really go thru hell and back with you. One of my biggest problems at first was the frizzen spring was way too powerful also and it took too much power for the flint to push it back (I think is why my frizzen needed to be re hardened so quickly).

MVTC stands by their work. They fixed my frizzen for me, and since all the springs and parts are hand forged somewhere across the sea, if one breaks they'll fit it back on the lock for free.

covey

Got exactly the same problem with my loyalist doglock....
Steve
Rod L
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ketland pistol from MVTCo. had the killer frizzen and sear springs as well. I just heated them a bit with a propane torch and let them cool slowly, drawing the temper just a bit. Don't do this if you don't have any experience hardening and/or softening steel--if you get them too soft, you'll end up having to reharden. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the Ketland. I did strip off the shiny finish and stain and oil the stock. I also took a bit of crocus cloth to the extremely shiny lock, and gave it more of a satin finish.

Rod

Pit
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also purchased one of MVTco Ketland pistols.My little woman claimed it for her own.Have had no problems what so ever with it.Connie wont let me do anything to it like stripping the stock or putting a satin finish to the lock.

Wes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ahve had a few Long Land patterns from MVTCo, no problems, shoot well. Pete and Wendy are super nice folks. I am a distributor for them here in Missouri, and really have had no complaints.
digger
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: SAFE??? Reply with quote

David.....trekkers are much more loving of thier guns here ...more than the other site... I will attest that the guns you speak of are safe.
My Blunderbuss has been tested with double load 3FFF...AND still going strong after 3 years... I lOVE IT....
Now...try to say that on the Other forum....period.
David Snellen
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Loyalist, MVTC are they safe Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
I really appreciate the information. Thank you.
Is there any REAAL proof about pedersoli barrels blowing up?
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com