This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Masons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rice Lareaux
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: A Mason and a Catholic Reply with quote

Being from south Louisiana where the majority of people are Catholic (I being one of them) had no trouble becoming a Mason, Scottish Rite, York Rite, and will soon join the Shriners.

I belong in a lodge of many religions, but one's religion is not discussed and not ridiculed nor judged. I know many Masons who are Catholic and don't hide it.

I don't judge you, don't judge me.
Ken 32 degree mason from Louisiana
Capt. Matheney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Freemasonry.... Reply with quote

Greetings all,

This is a very interesting thread. I've always enjoyed the 18th century colonial America connection to Masonry.

To add to what has already transpired on this thread:
It is my understanding that Major Robert Rogers was a Mason as well.

And since everyone else is proclaiming their own Masonry status:

I am a member in good standing of the F&AM, Lithopolis Lodge, #169.
(I am just a MM in the Blue Lodge...but am quite content.)
Jim H
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is an interesting thread. I was raised in Covington County Alabama. Just a bit South of here, Lafayette overnighted and visited a Lodge in Perdue Hill. The Lodge sits on the site of William Travis' boyhood home. I hunt that area. The Lodge is the old Claiborne Masonic Hall, now a museum. Lots of history in that area.My own Lodge is Stokes 609.

coloneltubbs
User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Brothers, after some much needed rest after San Jacinto I am proud to say that Brother Covey Barbee has been raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason. We had a great turn out of brothers from various part of Texas and some even drove in from DeRidder Louisiana for the degree. The weather was a bit humid but the wind keep things bearable that is except for the mosquitoes. Sure is hard to Tile them little suckers. It would seem we now have thousands of little new brothers flying around. To be one, bit one. (lol)
The degree team, of which I was part, did a great job with only minor mistakes happening. Yeah, I choked on one part. The candidate was in such a position when he was raised that he was looking up at the San Jacinto Monument bathed in white light. He stated that he will never forget that moment truly being brought to more light.
Because of the camps knowing that a Masonic degree was to be happening, I had some folks talked to me about Masonry and they have shown a interest in becoming Masons. One even was given a petition as I always have some in my personal gear.

Fratenally,
Brother Tubbs
cazadorcovey

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely was an awesome experience, Jerry. Thanks for being there for me.

Cazador Covey
ccasada

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: masons Reply with quote

There is an old saying for those interested in joining the Fraternity-

2B1 ask 1.

Chuck
Hawkeye
User

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Masons Reply with quote

coloneltubbs wrote:
First, Jason I hope you will allow this type of question on the board.
As a Master Mason here in Texas, I am just curious how many of you are traveling men? As with the American Revolution, the creation of the Republic of Texas was greatly influence by the Masonic order.
How about the French and Indian war period? Anyone know of the impact Masonry may have had on the out come of the conflict?

Fraternally,
Colonel Tubbs

I'd say it had a huge impact on the overall history of this continent in all earas, including the one in which we live.
The founding seeds of this country and of Canada were sewn and fertilized during that war.

http://www.co-masonry.org/Site/English/FamousFreemasons.aspx

Short list of famous Freemasons of the time;
Chief Joseph Brant
David Wooster
Geo. Washington

It was during the turn of the century through the French & Indian war that Freemasonry came to North America. (1680-1760)
Military loges brought it with them.

Its concepts are what has made this country.
..the belief in the brotherhood of man under the fatherhood of God.
Brotherhood in that all are equal.

"The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort and convenience, but where they stand in times of challenge and controversy."

http://www.co-masonry.org/
http://www.comasonic.org/

ThomasR.
User

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Brother Covey, now I really wish I would have made it down for the weekend. You had a very special degree, I have only been apart of one outdoor degree, and it was not at a site like that.

Jerry, should have had some OFF to serve as Tiler for that one.

Fraternally,

ThomasR.
cazadorcovey

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got sprayed by Off 4 times and still had monster sized mosquito welts when I got home.

;)

Cazador Covey
Lloyd Moler
User

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember hunting one night in the palmetto's down there and I ran my hand from the nose to the neck on one of my dogs and had a handfull of blood. Poor dog was solid mosquitoes. I now find it hard to think that I lived the minor years of my life in that country... I got upset last night because I heard a mosquito while walking my dog.

Congrats to the brother who was raised into such a grand sight.

Lloyd Moler
Gabriel

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Gentlemen,

I have asked this of several friends, one of whom is the Master at the lodge here in town, and he lent his "coaxings" (within his limits).

I want to become a Mason, very seriously, but my wife is extremely opposed to it. Most Craftsmen tell me that the very first interview would be very short indeed, once that came up. Do any of you fellows have any suggestions for convincing my wife to give me her blessing so we can get on with it?

Thanks already Chuck, and I know this is getting off topic, so if any of you can assist, email or PM me here. Many thanks! Gabriel
John C
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Masons Reply with quote

Have your Masonic friend get some pamphlets from the Lodge for both of you to read. Maybe setup a luncheon or a night and dine together with a Mason and his wife. It is well to have the support of your significant other. From time to time the Ladies are included.
The best that you can do is get another Masons wife to talk to.
John C
Knight of the York Cross of Honour
Lloyd Moler
User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too must recommend that you speak to your Masonic sponsor. (You choose him, he doesn't choose you).

If it were me, I would sit down over a cup of coffee or whatever and talk in detail to him about your wants and problems with becoming a Mason.
If he is married, he can have his wife get with your wife also.

When I became a mason, my wife wasn't sure about masonry, even though her dad was one. She just trusted me to make the proper decisions for our family.

Lloyd Moler
jon_ zeus

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Masonry Reply with quote

Gabriel you say that your wife is greatly opposed to you becoming a mason. What is her objection to you joining one of the best Faternal orders that there is? If you can find out what it is that she has a problem with then maybe we can give you some answers to your problem. My wife wasn't against me becoming a Mason but she didn't want to have any part in any of the ladies groups.
Jon
Morningstar #10 F & AM Beloit, WI
Perservance #1839 F & AM WI.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I am OK posting this, there were too many PMs and emails to respond to individually-thank you!

Pamphlets, lists of famous Masons, etc. are of no use. My beloved wife has her heels dug in on this one. She quotes Pike and others on the "Lucifer" thing, and has New Testament quotes on swearing/taking oaths. I cannot see how hundreds of millions of dollars in charity could be generated by evil, but a few Chick tracts go a long way, I guess.

My dear friend brought up what Lloyd did about trusting the head of the household to make the right decisions. There must be an issue there. We're not a churchgoing family (not that that makes much difference), but perhaps I haven't been the "spiritual" leader I could be. Dunno.

I'm not much of a "joiner" (other than the CoHT and the Plumber's/Fitters Union!), but the Lodge calls to a part of me I haven't identified yet, and I feel like I'm missing out on something great.

Thank you Gentlemen for the help and advice so far, it's encouraging!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com