This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
Cloth leggings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irish John

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Cloth leggings Reply with quote

What type of clothe would be appropriate for leggings made from cloth?
Wool, canvas, linen? Would it depend on whether these were military style or homemade? Colors?
Running Fox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wool. Not ran across anything other than wool and leather. but thats me, someone may have ran across linen or canvas, but it seems doubtful.
Okwaho
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Running Fox"]Wool. Not ran across anything other than wool and leather. but thats me, someone may have ran across linen or canvas, but it seems doubtful.[/quote/]

General William Lenoir, writing as to General Griffith's Rutherford's expedition against the Cherokee in 1776 described hunting shirts,breeches,and leggings of "stout tow linen" and further referred to hunting shirts dyed black with white letters,"liberty or death" sewn across the front. Since hemp and linsey woolsey were often used along with linen,I am reasonably sure that breeches and leggings were also made from the same materials.I have the reference on Lenoir's writing and will try to find it.Bear in mind that this documentation refers to White man's garb of the Revolutionary war period in the South. I don't recall any referrences to Indian use of materials other than wool or buckskin for leggings.
Tom Patton

Kentuckian
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I prefer either leather or wool, depending on season, weather, intended use, etc. Even a stout linen doesn't seem to stand up to the constant abuse leggins take going through the brush, kneeling down on rocky ground, etc. That being said, I know some guys who LOVE their canvas leggins/gaiters - they're just not as useful for me.

-B
Find all public pictures posted by %s View user's profile Send private message
Capt. Jas.
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For white man leggings check linen does a PC fabric make>
tac
User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: leggings Reply with quote

Irish John,
Try this web site hope its helps.
http://royalyorkers.ca/lc_leggings.htm

tac.
Irish John

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com