This site best viewed at 800x600 or greater resolution. Please support Our Advertisers. They make this site possible!

HistoricalTrekking.com
Small Horizontal Row
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 CalendarCalendar   LinksLinks 
How not to get shot... the period way.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Rodri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a master hunter education instructor here in Colorado,and there is plenty of statistical evidence to support the fact that wearing orange(500 square inches on your body and some on your head visible from 360 degrees)has decreased the number of "mistaken for game" accidents from about 10 per year to almost none now. Look,its your call but you might consider the fact that a whole mess of the other folks sharing the woods with you and hunting at the same time as you might not have your woods skills and savvy, and might be the kind that shoot first and check what they shot at later. I agree that hunting totally PC would be way cool,but this is 2007 and personally I would rather be safe, and within the law.
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since an opportunity to hunt probably won't happen for me until centerfire season is over and BP season continues I am really not to concerned about it. I am sure that it has happened sometime in the past, but I don't recall EVER reading or hearing about a hunting accident between two black powder hunters.

Besides, here in Oregon they only release about 800 BP tags a year for the Willamette Unit (with only about 500 actually being purchased by the lottery winners). This covers a hunting area that makes up nearly 40% of the state, everything west of the Cascade Mountains. The chances of even getting to within three miles of another hunter are pretty remote.

My concern was regarding period hunting during regular centerfire rifle season. That is when the nuts are out in the woods.

I remember a couple of years ago I went up to the Opal Creek wilderness to do some hunting during centerfire. On an old logging road I passed a pickup going the other direction. There were two people in the cab, both with rifles sticking out the windows and four guys in the back, sitting in lawn chairs and holding rifles in one hand and beers in the other. I remember glancing down at the clock in my car and it said 8:10am.... Yikes.
captchee
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That orange is an identifier is of no doubt true .
However it has become and is a patch for a problem of people not properly identifying their targets .
This has become so common that when folks do get shot the first thing said was ďahhh they werenít wearing hunter orange ď IMO thatís wrong , what should be said is the person who shot , did not identify their target , because they simple figure ď no orange, its not a person ď
At lest here in the west one of the big is that red yellows often blind with fall colors real well , blues also do much the same thing .
When I was a boy the wearing of these colors where very much what was recommended .
I also believe hunter education has played a very big rule in the reduction of hunting accidentís ..

No mater how we cut it , the issue comes down to the hunter behind the gun .
Even when wearing orange you still have a chance unfortunately of someone identifying you as a deer or for that mater not seeing you at all . Case in point , look how many traffic accidents we have in construction zones where everything is bright orange . Yet folks cant seem to see big barrels telling them to merge or for that mater large trucks with flashing lights which they seem to like to run into the back off . This is why many of the transportation departments now have 12ft of water containers extending the backs of these flagged vehicles.
People simply do not pay attention .

Now one point I wish to make here is concerning the idea of ďha , I hunt in a time frame where there isnít a whole lot of folks in the woods .
Remember others are thinking the same thing . If they donít properly identify you as another hunter , ď for any number of reasons ď then their mind goes to that very same reasoning to justify the shot , IE its got to be a deer after all I have not seen another soul for a week .
What ever you do I would recommend even if you wear orange , do not do anything that would possibly confuse someone that you may be a target .
donít crawl around on your knees . donít forget and leave a hanky in your back pocket , donít wear grays or light browns . Avoid having any white showing anywhere on you at all costs .
If you wear a black or dark brown hat , put a brightly colored ribbon on it .

Unfortunately hunting completely PC is going to basically put you in all the above categories and thus raise the chances of you being mistaken for a game animal .

If a person feels that its worth the chance then go for it .
However IMO , having an orange hat band , red back pack or bright yellow shirt isnít going to take away from the Experience anymore then having to have a helicopter and paramedics come in and take you to the hospital ďIf your lucky ď
Or for that mater the joy of experiencing laying on a hill side with a 50 -60 cal hole through ones mid section .
Experiencing the past is fun but simply not that fun

in the end , do what you feel makes you safe and keep an eye out for the other idiot just as you would when driving .
brian
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaquina,

I did a search of deer hunting fatalities in my state. All of the deer hunters killed in the last 10 years wear not wearing orange. No fatalities were listed for anyone wearing orange. There also were deaths caused when the shooter was shooting at a real deer and missed and killed a hunter not wearing orange who was not seen behind where the deer was (so it does happen). Good news is deaths are down but the Bad News is that there is any deaths. Another interesting fact was that most accidents involved "seasoned" hunters and not newer hunters.
trg11
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear this red shirt and or wear a red scarf, in the late mL season there are few people on public land and I have a lot of private land to myself.In oregon most of the accidents have been people taking guns in or out of vehicles.

Michael Archer
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How d' ye!

7-10% or 8 to 12% of the total population depending upon the study suffer from red-green color blindness.
Males at higher rates than females.

Arise ye Nimrods! What see ye?

X

Michael Archer
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How d' ye!

So... statistically, is this more like what say 10% plus of us see then?

Michael Archer

Rod L
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wear anything of buckskin, beware of near sighted one-eyed hunting partners, as Meriwether Lewis would no doubt tell you. =8^D

Yaquina143

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... let's recap....

I should wear hunter orange instead of red because while hunting during the black powder season I might run into one of the 4 or 5 BP hunters out there in the entire state or Oregon who are in fact color blind. The odds seem pretty high.... Hmmmm....

Call me a risk taker, but I think I'll live for thrills and just wear something red. (grin)
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Archer wrote:

X

Hmmm....

9, 17, 50, 18, 34

Guess I won't be able to use the "color blind" defense in court. Rats...
trg11
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So... statistically, is this more like what say 10% plus of us see then'

could be...but it is a long way from looking anything like a deer, I've made it for 42 years hunting, I think I will continue what has worked so far and if I get shot I just hope I can get off a shot in return.I guess there are a lot worse ways to check out.
Medicine Soldier
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said your main concern is going from your vehicle to your ambush site. My suggestion is to consider a compromise on PC v/s Hunter orange by having a piece of Orange cloth that you can drape over your shoulders (or tie as a sash) for your walk to your ambush location, then take it off on arrival and either set it aside or hang it near your postion if you desire. That way the orange is visible for your walk in and then also a warning that you are at the location for other hunters but you will still be dressed PC as you hunt. And then considered putting it back on or again having it nearbye when you field dress your animal.

Medicine Soldier
Bill Evelyn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Wear the Orange Reply with quote

I think anyone who hunts on public land with a muzzleloader and chooses not to wear orange is simply reckless.

Here in Georgia, inline muzzleloaders with scopes are legal, making it just as easy for some clown to "scope" you with his black powder gun as the knuckleheads do during regular firearms season.

Also, if your state regs say you must wear orange but you choose to disregard that law, do you then also choose not to tag your deer? Break one law, why not another?

I believe in hunting within the law, which has the added benefit of increasing my chances of survival. And if this keeps fewer of us from getting killed, it has the added benefit of not giving "ammo" to those who would prevent us in Congress from engaging in this dangerous activity.

Don't mean to flame here, but I think sometimes you must remember it's a hobby.
Yaquina143

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wear the Orange Reply with quote

Bill Evelyn wrote:
I think anyone who hunts on public land with a muzzleloader and chooses not to wear orange is simply reckless.

I live for thrills...

Quote:
Here in Georgia, inline muzzleloaders with scopes are legal.

Here they are not. Kind of makes your point moot.

Quote:
Also, if your state regs say you must wear orange but you choose to disregard that law, do you then also choose not to tag your deer? Break one law, why not another?

I am not required to wear orange, so again.... moot.

Quote:
Don't mean to flame here, but I think sometimes you must remember it's a hobby.

Flame? Please... that wasn't even a spark. Here in Oregon we are very ML friendly.

To be specific, here are the regs for the great state of Oregon.

MUZZLELOADER
Scopes (permanent and detachable), fiber optics sights, sights that use artificial light or energy, and sights that enhance, gather, or concentrate
natural light are not allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader
only or archery/muzzleloader only. Open and peep sights made from alloys, plastic, or other materials that do not have the properties described
above are legal sights.

It is illegal to hunt with jacketed bullets, sabots, and bullets with plastic or synthetic bases during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts
where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Round balls and conical lead or lead alloy bullets with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter, and cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed.

It is illegal to hunt with centerfire primers as an ignition source during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon
restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

It is illegal to hunt with pelletized powders or propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only. Granular (loose) black powder and black powder substitutes are the only legal propellants during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

No other firearm may be used for hunting during a muzzleloader-only season.

Muzzleloading firearms with revolving actions are prohibited during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon
restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.
DELETED

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HistoricalTrekking.com Forum Index -> Message Board All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You must Register or Log In to post new topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to reply to topics in this forum
You must Register or Log In to edit your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to delete your posts in this forum
You must Register or Log In to vote in polls in this forum
Back to HistoricalTrekking.com